Getting your deposit back? Tenant rights

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Sep 2011 12:00 AM by PanchoValencia Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hello out there,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice to share.  Long story short - we rented an apartment for 11 months and paid 2 months deposit (1800 EUR) as well as the first month rent and one month to the estate agents.  We left the apartment 11 months later, having paid our rent on time, every month.  

On 1 August, I received an email from the estate agent saying that the landlord wanted to meet us to do a walk through, when were we available and that he would call us.  

On 1 August (same day, about 4 hours later) I replied by email that I was available anytime.  That was the last time I heard from either of them.  

So after sending 8 unreturned emails to both landlord and real estate agent (same message - when can we meet, deposit return, etc.), 2 phone calls and 7 weeks later, I finally got a hold of the landlord to try to arrange the walk through and settle the deposit and was informed that he already did the walk through and he had decided that it cost the whole deposit to fix it because it was really dirty, he had to repaint it and clean it and that for example, the fridge was really dirty.  

Shocked.  

My husband and I lived there for 11 months, we don't smoke, we didn't have parties, and we don't own pets.  We never put anything up on the walls.  I kept that apartment in excellent shape and I even have a video that I did of the last day in the apartment, giving a minute long tour of a perfect and spotless apartment (I had met the landlord previously and he was a bit neurotic so I spent about a day scrubbing and cleaning and washing that apartment so it was in better condition than we received it).  

What angered me was that I know that I left the fridge spotless and the video proves it.  What angered me even more was that in the video, I am proudly showing off how well I cleaned that apartment.  I now believe this landlord is fishy and a bit of a liar.  

Anyway, we disputed his claims (for example, he said he spent 200EUR to clean an already cleaned 55sqm?? apartment and having it repainted when it was fine - there was nothing done to the walls, they were exactly the same as we found them) and asked for receipts to show the work but he refuses to show us anything without his lawyer.  We are trying to settle/negotiate this matter out of court but he keeps ignoring us.  

I just wondered if anybody knows if it is legal for him to keep all our deposit without having a walk through, without us signing anything and without showing us any receipts of the work he has done and if there is any obligation on his part to have done so.  I am also curious if he can just keep the deposit like that without having it dealt with by a second party.  

We had one conversation with him since he informed us that he was keeping the whole deposit and asked him to contact us by email so we have a record of our exchanges. He refuses to, he does not want to communicate by writing.  

What???

I smell a horrible scam and I am unsure whether or not we can take him to court.  I have copies of the contract, I have 8 emails I sent to him over a period of 7 weeks, I have a record of two phone calls, I have a video of a spotless apartment with the date of our departure and 2 more emails my husband sent outlining our situation (all unreturned).  I also have various photos of the past 11 months in the apartment where there is absolutely nothing wrong with it and you can clearly see.  

I don't actually hope anyone has experienced this same type of situation but would appreciate any advice or insight into Spanish law and/or our rights in this matter.  

Thank you!

Like 0      
22 Sep 2011 10:48 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Firstly, you paid way too much on day 1.

Normally you pay a month's rent in advance and a month's deposit.  And that's it.  I know some agents do ask for the last month up front too (in case you do a runner at the end) but this isn't so common now.

From what you have said it does all seem very wrong. 

It seems like he is a bit of an *&%$ (insert appropriate word there!) and the only thing he may respond to is a legal "burofax" asking him, perhaps, to prove to you the cost of "repairing" the apartment after you left it.

So my advice would be find a local lawyer who can do this for you.

You should also tell the agent (who you paid a commission to) to get onto this ASAP unless they want their name all over some forums

It's sad that things have to always end like this, especially when good tenants are made to suffer.

Best of luck with it all.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
23 Sep 2011 9:47 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

PanchoValencia wrote:

I just wondered if anybody knows if it is legal for him to keep all our deposit without having a walk through, without us signing anything and without showing us any receipts of the work he has done and if there is any obligation on his part to have done so.  I am also curious if he can just keep the deposit like that without having it dealt with by a second party. 

Maria answered:

Of course it is not legal! He needs to prove that damages or repairs cost up to that big amount. I would encourage you to start a claim.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
25 Sep 2011 10:39 AM by AJB1 Star rating in Benahavis, Costa del.... 63 posts Send private message

Did you pay the 2 months deposit to the estate agent and do you have a receipt for this?

If so, then I would suggest you go back to the estate agent and ask for their complaints book.

Something similar happened to us - the estate agent tried to keep 350€ from our deposit for a 'deep clean' and we too had actually left the apartment cleaner than when we moved in. They also had gone and done the inspection without us! They said it was standard to do a deep clean after a tenant moves out so I asked why they hadn't told us this before we'd spent hours cleaning the apartment, especially after I'd sent them an email saying I woudl be cleaning the apartment but leaving the mould on one of the walls in the bedroom so the owners could see why we were moving out!

As soon as I asked for the complaints book, their attitude totally changed, they returned the full deposit!

I do hope you manage to resolve this as I know how stressful it is!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Campsite work - 1 posts
Is this the bottom of the market - 1 posts
amplifier for satellite dish - 1 posts
Driving down to El Faro Mijas first time. - 10 posts
Couple from Barnsley S.Yorks - 3 posts
TOMTOM TRUCK SATNAV IDEAL FOR CARAVAN AND CAMPER VANS - 0 posts
Internet in la zenia - 2 posts
Place selling wine near Aspe - 3 posts
Patrimonio - 8 posts
reconnecting a phone line for internet service. - 12 posts
help with deferred UK pension - 6 posts
Goodstitch - 0 posts
Restaurant Recommendation Wanted: El Ejido/Adra area - 0 posts
Rant about grants...... - 1 posts
Registering properties with Valencian tourist board - 2 posts
Halal or Vegetarian Restuarants Costa Blanca South - 5 posts
Rural Rentals illegal !! - 6 posts
Taxes as a freelancer - 5 posts
situations vacant. - 0 posts
situations vacant - 1 posts
URBANIZATION'S PRESIDENTS TERM OF OFFICE - 2 posts
Easyjet Summer Flights - 4 posts
Rental agreements - 0 posts
Transfer of car ownership - 13 posts
One way car rental con for less than 8 days hire?? - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x