reconnecting a phone line for internet service.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Sep 2011 12:00 AM by tpau Star rating in Leicestershire. 21 posts Send private message

We bought our holiday home in La Zenia 4 years ago.  At the time we did not need a telephone so asked the people we bought off to have it disconnected.  We would now like to have it reconnected so we can have internet access. Also would like some advice as to which service provider we should go for.  We currently have cable installed for our t.v. with 'OLE' . These apparently do a complete package with t.v, phone and internet. Would like to know if anybody around this area has dealt with them and if you would recommend them. If not, can you recommend another internet provider for this area. We will need to use our computer to keep in touch with our business in the U.K. so need a reliable and fast internet provider. Any help appreciated.  Thankyou. Jean

Like 0      
23 Sep 2011 12:36 PM by peoplesperson Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hello Jean

You will have to contact Telefonica/Movistar first of all, they will set up a line with a new number, once this has been done, you can then choose which provider you want for the internet.

I have not heard of OLE so I cannot comment.

Good luck

PP

Like 0      
23 Sep 2011 3:00 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

No guarantee if you gave up your line you can have it back.

In some areas there is a shortage of lines

So telefonica might come out and open box on urbanization and say no spare lines - SORRY - but we can give you a campo number - DON'T take it - it works on mobile technology and has limitations.

Like 0      
06 Oct 2011 7:34 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

We have a holiday home in Torrevieja.  We had the Telefonica line reconnected but decided to change over to a company that provide a phone line and internet connection via a signal from a box fitted to the ariel pole.  This is similar to what will be installed by Ole.

We're happy with this system and have also paid for a TV box to use their TV system which also comes in the package.  Without this you'd have to watch via laptop/desktop.

The speed maybe lower than you need buy they say they may increase the speed in the future.

The thing that sold it to me was that they system can be turned off when we're not here and the price goes down from 24e to 5e to retain the phone number.  That way I have a internet package for less than I currently pay Telefonica for just a phone line and the occasional call.

You have to pay for calls but they are 1c a minute to most countries.

Have a look at the website, DVBlab, to compare it with what OLE is offering.

The other plus point is that the person at the end of the phone is English and very helpful.  OLE doesn't have the best customer service, I always think you can tell how good a company is by how they deal with any problems which occur.

Like 0      
06 Oct 2011 8:23 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

sounds like your deal might work well for someone coming and going.

does their TV system have English channels ie BBC/ITV etc

what speed are you getting on

http://www.speedtest.net/index.php

I'm with telefonica on a 6MB service and I'm getting the following:-

Download 5.12Mbps

Upload 0.480 Mbps

Ping 61 ms

Like 0      
06 Oct 2011 10:32 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

They supply the main channels 1 - 5, ITV,2,3,4, sky news, euro sport, bbc3 & 4, film four, movies 4 men, cbs action, mbc movies, mbc action, a couple more hd channels and a 3d channel.

We also have Digital Spanish TV so this makes a great add on for an extra 5 euros a month whilst we're here.

It also has 9 bbc radio stations and one Local Radio NOVA - Costa Blanca.

It's not available in all areas yet but it's worthwhile having a look at website if you're based in Costa Blanca.

Like 0      
06 Oct 2011 10:42 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Speed test 1.93 mbps download  and 0.48 upload.

It's fast enough for what I want to do, don't download just surf and catch up on emails.

Like 0      
06 Oct 2011 11:25 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Thanks - all in it looks a pretty good deal.

I'm paying EUR40 a month for the Spanish Digital Plus TV service (and no BBC/ITV etc) - don't ask why!

Like 0      
06 Oct 2011 5:48 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

When Telemicro went kaputt we did consider Digital+ as we liked Calle 13 and Fox.  We're big fans of american tv shows, csi, law & order etc but as we're only here for 13 weeks of the year we decided it was too expensive.  Later we installed TDT and it's ok but you need internet connections to find out what's on.  I've bought various guides but even they are only guessing, EPG isn't that good either.

This afternoon the system went down just after we had installed our new wireless printer, phoned through and the fault was at their end, sorted in minutes.  Big thumbs up for me.

Like 0      
06 Oct 2011 5:53 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

I used Ole for a while......

I wouldn't reccomend them to my worst enemy!!!!!!

They are affectinately known as Ass ole in our house (excuse the french)

Like 0      
19 Nov 2011 7:45 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Just received my first full bill for DVBlab and paid 2.48 for phone calls.  Very pleased as I can now call UK when I want, I always tried to limit my calls home to the cheaper Telefonica rates but still paid over that amount.

I rang Telefonica to cancel my Landline, given a reference number and date for disconnection 2 days before I was due to leave Spain.  I was asked if a friend wanted to take over my number (strange request).  Will try again when we're next over in January to get it disconnected.

Unless of course some helpful person on here could provide a fax number for me to use.  I could then send a letter to Madrid? to see if that would work.

I've paid another 35.28 for a system that I'm not using 

Like 0      
23 Nov 2011 8:09 AM by Forhotspot Star rating. 233 posts Send private message

What is the name of the website for DVBlab?  Does it require a landline to get phone & internet?

Thanks 

Like 0      
23 Nov 2011 9:36 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

No it doesn't, if you read my post on here dated 6/10 it possibly will answer any questions you may have.

If not googling DVDlab will bring up the website and give you the contact numbers.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

help with deferred UK pension - 6 posts
Goodstitch - 0 posts
Restaurant Recommendation Wanted: El Ejido/Adra area - 0 posts
Rant about grants...... - 1 posts
Registering properties with Valencian tourist board - 2 posts
Halal or Vegetarian Restuarants Costa Blanca South - 5 posts
Rural Rentals illegal !! - 6 posts
Taxes as a freelancer - 5 posts
situations vacant. - 0 posts
situations vacant - 1 posts
URBANIZATION'S PRESIDENTS TERM OF OFFICE - 2 posts
Easyjet Summer Flights - 4 posts
Rental agreements - 0 posts
Transfer of car ownership - 13 posts
One way car rental con for less than 8 days hire?? - 1 posts
My bank is insisting we take life assurance with them for our mortgage - 6 posts
URBANIZATION'S PRESIDENTS TERM OF OFFICE - 4 posts
White land - 1 posts
ew payment method for Ryanair - 10 posts
YAMAHA CYGNUS X 125 FOR SALE - 2 posts
Pay as you go wifi? - 7 posts
Problems with tenants - what are the options for landlords - 3 posts
help needed - 1 posts
Dickmanns car hire - Disgusting - 17 posts
VALDEACEDERAS: ROOM IMMEDIATELY AVAILABLE - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x