Transfer of car ownership

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Sep 2011 12:00 AM by cyprus Star rating. 57 posts Send private message

We have just purchased a second hand car in Uk which is registered in Spain. We want to take it over to leave at our Spanish holiday home. We have a copy of  the previous owner's passport, IVA , current road tax certificate and other  relevant documents in order to be able to do the transfer when we get to Spain.  We have done checks to know we have not made a 'dodgey' purhase.  The question is how can we drive it to our apartment without insurance? How can we get insurance when its in the name of the previous owner?  Is there a Transfer of Ownership form we can obtain somehow which we can accompany the documentation? What exactly do we need to make the transfer as effortless as possible.  We understand we need to obtain a Padron from the Town Hall in Spain and yes we do have out NIEE numbers. Can anyone help??

Like 0      
16 Sep 2011 9:34 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Can you drive it without insurance ?

Sorry but if you are asking that question, which I cannot really believe, then I think you are going to have problems. !!

Of course, you cannot legally drive any motor vehicle on a road,  practically anywhere in the world, without third party insurance.

On that point only, I suggest you ask an insurance agent in UK what you can do.  I believe you do not have to be the owner of a vehicle to insure it (after all if its on HP then its owned by the finance company).  However,  as it is registered in Spain, that too may be a problem

On the transfer basis.  You will  need the transfer papers, available in Spain,  signed by the previous owner. From what you say you may have a problem with that.

Also, you may find that it is illegal to sell a vehicle in one country when it is registered in another country.
The other alternative to get it to Spain would be have in transported by truck. Then go to a Gestor to ask what you can do.

Like 0      
16 Sep 2011 10:06 AM by cyprus Star rating. 57 posts Send private message

I have no intention of driving it without insurance which was the reason I asked for guidance. I hope someone else can give me some positive advice? I had wondered if there as an actual transfer of ownership document we could obtain somehow before we attempted to make the rest of the arrangements. I would be able to get the previous owner to sign it before we leave UK?

Thanks for your efforts.

Like 0      
16 Sep 2011 10:10 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

QUOTE   We have just purchased a second hand car in Uk which is registered in Spain. We want to take it over to leave at our Spanish holiday home. We have a copy of  the previous owner's passport, IVA , current road tax certificate and other  relevant documents in order to be able to do the transfer when we get to Spain.  We have done checks to know we have not made a 'dodgey' purhase.  The question is how can we drive it to our apartment without insurance? How can we get insurance when its in the name of the previous owner?  Is there a Transfer of Ownership form we can obtain somehow which we can accompany the documentation? What exactly do we need to make the transfer as effortless as possible.  We understand we need to obtain a Padron from the Town Hall in Spain and yes we do have out NIEE numbers. Can anyone help??

Sorry I thought you were asking how you can drive it without insurance !!!!!!!   That is what you said !!!!

Like 0      
16 Sep 2011 8:49 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Talk to an insurance company in Spain.

I bought a car last year but the dealer dealt with all the paperwork.  I can't remember if the insurance was done before or after the changeover was done.

I'm non resident and cannot enroll on Padron but this wasn't a problem with the buying process.

If you tell us where abouts your based in Spain then someone may be able to help you further.  There are people around who will deal with the paperwork at Traffico for you so if you're able to transport the car using a lorry then that could help you if you cannot get insurance to drive car over yourself.

Like 0      
16 Sep 2011 10:11 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Car does not need to be in your name to be insured

Like 0      
17 Sep 2011 2:15 AM by Tarquin Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

rather you than me.

i think you may have a lot of work to do but insurance wise if you insure it through a uk company make sure you tell them that you dont own it.

you also have the problem of getitng it through customs.

i recommend putting in a car transporter which wil cost about 700 euros door to door.

Like 0      
17 Sep 2011 9:34 AM by nfjoinery Star rating. 45 posts Send private message

We did this last year, bought a car in England which was registered in Spain. We insured it with Linea Directa before we drove it to Spain and had no problems because in Spain it is the car that is insured not the driver. We didn't have anything signed by the previous owners, just copies of their passports and we didn't have any problem with the transfer.

Like 0      
17 Sep 2011 11:38 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

does the car need/have ITV (ie MOT/NCT) sticker on window?

becuase if it does not have an ITV sticker and it is of the age that it should then that would invalidate your insurance.

Another company to insure the car would be liberty seguros - but if it's a Spanish reg car then you can insure with any company in spain.

Like 0      
17 Sep 2011 11:58 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

I purchased a Spanish car last year in London and likewise have had no problems in either getting it insured or re registering it in my name.

I bought the car over on the Portsmouth - Bilbao ferry, when we disembarked a guarda officer saluted and waved us through past the queue of Engish reg cars that were all being searched and checked.

A note of caution, and I'm not sure if this was just the case with my insurer but we were only covered third party until we reached Spanish soil, then the full comprehensive package kicked in

s

Like 0      
18 Sep 2011 11:03 AM by Jontymellor Star rating in Warrington & Cabo R.... 144 posts Send private message

http://costablanca.angloinfo.com/countries/spain/carbuy.asp

Info and ssome short cuts to forms on this web site, it may help you

jon

Like 0      
18 Sep 2011 12:23 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

This might be a bit dated, but I just came upon it:-  

Re: LHD Spanish Registered Cars Bought in UK

Postby DavidSearl on Fri Aug 21, 2009

Well, you said you had a simple question. In fact I thought everybody was doing so well with it that I could only stand by uselessly, but we seem to be missing some essential facts.

1. If a foreigner wishes to purchase a Spanish-registered vehicle, he must either be a registered resident in Spain or show proof of his address in Spain. This could be a title deed, (an "escritura") or a rental contract, for example. He must have an address in Spain to complete the sale.

2. The foreigner wishing to purchase a Spanish-registered vehicle must have a NIE, the Spanish tax identificaton number, in order to list it on the transfer form and to pay the tax of 4 per cent on sale of used cars.

3. In order to prove that you have bought the car, you must present the Spanish Traffic Department transfer form, filled in and signed by the seller,(one copy for him and one copy for you) along with a photocopy of the seller's DNI or passport and his NIE. This form, 9.050, "Solicitúd de Transmisión de Vehículo", can be seen at
www.dgt.es, the web site of the Trafico Department. It can even be printed out, but this is not acceptable. You must have the original paper version from Spain. You can write to the DGT in Madrid and have them send it to you.

4. If you are really determined to carry out this purchase and you can obtain a NIE and a Spanish address, I would advise you to make contact with a good Gestoria in the area where you intend to settle. They can get the Form for you (anyone can pick it up) and send it to you, and you can consult them on the phone. They should not charge very much for this service.

5. Remember you will also need the circulation permit, the inspection record, payment of municipal vehicle tax in the last place the vehicle was registered, and payment of transfer tax of 4 per cent on used vehicles, Form 620.

Good luck with it, David Searl
You and the Law in Spain

Like 0      
22 Sep 2011 12:12 AM by roger48 Star rating in Salisbury Wiltshire .... 15 posts Send private message

We are just dealing with transfer too but car is already in Spain Better to pay local firm to deal with Trafico is my advice! A question re insurance if anyone can help? - can you get short term cover ie 6 months say? ( our car will spend the winter in an airport car park)

Like 0      
22 Sep 2011 8:49 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Roger  48

can you get short term cover ie 6 months say? ( our car will spend the winter in an airport car park)

No. Believe it or not you cannot have an uninsured vehicle in Spain. ( the same system that they have just introduced in the UK ). Even if you have a vehicle parked on your own property for long periods , unused , it has to be insured.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

One way car rental con for less than 8 days hire?? - 1 posts
My bank is insisting we take life assurance with them for our mortgage - 6 posts
URBANIZATION'S PRESIDENTS TERM OF OFFICE - 4 posts
White land - 1 posts
ew payment method for Ryanair - 10 posts
YAMAHA CYGNUS X 125 FOR SALE - 2 posts
Pay as you go wifi? - 7 posts
Problems with tenants - what are the options for landlords - 3 posts
help needed - 1 posts
Dickmanns car hire - Disgusting - 17 posts
VALDEACEDERAS: ROOM IMMEDIATELY AVAILABLE - 0 posts
School places La Cala advice - 3 posts
WE ARE BUYING AN APARTMENT IN BRISAS AND WOULD REALLY LIKE SOME HELP - 13 posts
Would you buy properties selected by us? - 50 posts
New Corvera Airport in Murcia - 29 posts
handing back keys - 1 posts
UK BANK ACCOUNT - 15 posts
WANTED - very long term isolated/detached/country house Costa De Sol/Inland - 6 posts
anyone to recommend an excellent electrician please - 0 posts
Embers restaurant in Foremetera De Segura - 1 posts
new indian resturant in Benimar - 12 posts
Spain v Scotland Football - 1 posts
date a comic-cartoon character :) - 1 posts
Campo Fires in Marbella & Mijas - 29 posts
Long Term Let Nr. Huescar, Andalucia - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x