Amazon coming to Spain next week

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Sep 2011 12:00 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

It's been much anticipated over the past few years but it seems that amazon.es is finally going to become a reality.

More info here

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
07 Sep 2011 10:57 AM by Bri Star rating in North. 591 posts Send private message

And reported in El Mundo too - giving the date as 15th September.  That it pretty exciting.  I am hoping it will make it easier and cheaper to find Spanish language  novels than it is on our Amazon uk site!!!!   And cheaper than buying from Amazon.com!!!

See story  www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2011/09/06/navegante/1315329665.html 

Brian

Like 0      
12 Sep 2011 9:32 PM by supersaver Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

Is it needed? You can order all "super saver delivery" items from Amazon NOW and get them delivered to Spain for FREE, as long as your order is a total of 25 GBP or more. Plus, of course, laptops & PC´s come with ENGLISH version of windows & ENGLISH manuals. We have bought loads of stuff of Amazon, most of it was delivered in 7 days or less.

I´ll probably still use the UK site as normal.

Like 0      
12 Sep 2011 10:11 PM by Bri Star rating in North. 591 posts Send private message

Spanish language books i.e. novels in Spanish are very expensive on Amazon.co.uk and from Amazon.com you take a hit - a big hit in terms of delivery.  I am hoping that if it is an Spanish site, it will have the majority of books in Spanish - hence the reduced cost. Please don't patronise.  

Brian

Like 0      
14 Sep 2011 11:53 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

For all us anxious folk....Amazon.es is here!!

Wow, that's been a long wait...

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
15 Sep 2011 1:57 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

The only problem I see with Amazon Spain is that they will never be able to provide the sort of customer service you get on the US or UK site, because obviously customer service will be Spaniards (who have a different concept of customer service!!) and I'm assuming Amazon Spain will be using Correos for deliveries?

I think I'll stick to Amazon uk and get stuff shipped out to Spain.

This message was last edited by Sanchez1 on 15/09/2011.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
16 Sep 2011 8:54 AM by lindsayinspain Star rating in Costa del Sol. 5 posts Send private message

lindsayinspain´s avatar

It will surely be an excellent service for those of us with children in Spanish schools, for books, materials, etc. The shops over here seems to charge crazy prices on "obligatory" workbooks for each class - the book for English alone this year was 18 euros.  I am hoping Amazon will shake things up a bit, but was quite disappointed when I went on the site to find nothing on my list was available.  I think it will be as good as the UK version once they have their stocks up and carry the same range of lesser known products we see on the UK site, and will be much easier to order things my daughter needs as her studies develop.

Like 0      
16 Sep 2011 11:23 AM by Bri Star rating in North. 591 posts Send private message

It is FANTASTIC!!!!   No more having to trawl through Amazon trying to find books in Spanish.  And good for music CDS too - Juanes and Manu Chao definitely cheaper than buying from anywhere else - including our local markets!!!!  I hope that you do find your books Lindsay - send them some suggestions.  The kids general section seems good and not too expensive.

Brian

Like 0      
16 Sep 2011 11:54 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Considering the nearest Spanish bookshop is a good 40 minutes out of the way from where we are, this is good news

What took them so long??

Justin

Like 0      
16 Sep 2011 4:04 PM by K 5ive Star rating in Cambrils. 116 posts Send private message

Amazon UK uses the waste of space spanish courier company MRW to deliver things. When I say deliver I mean leave it sitting in the office for days or weeks never knocking or ringing to let you know your parcel is here. You have to keep an eye on Amazons tracking facility and then go and get it from MRW who make up some cock and bull story as to why they never attempted to deliver or ring. Basicly buck passing all the way.  As for using Correos to deliver!!!!??? LMFAO!

Having said all that i'm glad they are here because now I can get DVD's with English and Spanish or Catalan as the second languages which is useful for lending to friends and my children. Hopefull ynow all the shops will be forced to shake up their prices including all the so called cheaper ones. Now all we need is tesco to come over and take over someone like Eroski and shake things up some more and I'll be sorted!

Like 0      
16 Sep 2011 4:49 PM by chills Star rating. 89 posts Send private message

I use the Eroski in Manilva and can see nothing wrong with it, in fact it is better than my local Tesco in the U.K.

This message was last edited by chills on 16/09/2011.

This message was last edited by chills on 16/09/2011.

Like 0      
16 Sep 2011 9:20 PM by K 5ive Star rating in Cambrils. 116 posts Send private message

Eroski is in no way cheaper than Tesco or any other Supermarket out here for that matter!  Wages are less out here and Groceries are more expensive here. In the UK where wages are generally higher groceries are cheaper. How does that work out? Even Lidl is not as cheap as the ones in the UK.

Also just noticed that Amazon es is charging more for like for like items than Amazon UK as well.  Think i'll keep using th uK site for most things.

This message was last edited by K 5ive on 17/09/2011.

Like 0      
16 Sep 2011 9:40 PM by SMYTHIE Star rating. 145 posts Send private message

??????????????????????

Like 0      
16 Sep 2011 9:53 PM by Bri Star rating in North. 591 posts Send private message

I think a debate about groceries and which is cheaper is Spain or UK is for another thread - and has been pretty much done to death.  Of course continue to use Amazon UK if you want English books.  Why would you not?  Those of us who want to use .es to buy Spanish books equally will continue to do so - or start to do so now that we have the opportunity.  

But I admit to being intrigued - Eroski is a Basque word I am guessing?  I have not seen them around our part of Spain.   

Brian

Like 0      
17 Sep 2011 10:59 AM by K 5ive Star rating in Cambrils. 116 posts Send private message

The point being made was not about books, of course we will all buy spanish books on there if they are cheaper. The point being made is that Amazon es is more expensive then Amazon UK for like for like items. (memory sticks for example) Therefore just like everything else out here, everyone is being short changed and ripped off.

Like 0      
17 Sep 2011 11:31 AM by MattressCleaning Star rating in FUENGIROLA. 106 posts Send private message

it never ceases to amaze me how negative some of you are!

this started as a positive thread about how amazon has expanded to offer a wider service to those in spain and it has been dragged down to the usual "spain is overpriced and how much things need to change"

be happy that things are changing gradually and take off the rose tinted glasses regarding UK service!  

Like 0      
17 Sep 2011 12:55 PM by Tarquin Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Please respect terms of posting **

This message was last edited by EOS Team on 17/09/2011.

Like 0      
17 Sep 2011 4:21 PM by SMYTHIE Star rating. 145 posts Send private message

I know this is well off thread now but for Bri Eroski is a Basque company .The name Eroski comes from the basque verb eros, meaning to buy.

Like 0      
17 Sep 2011 5:18 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

I have purchased a lots of items frorm Amazon in the UK and had them shipped to Spain and I have to totally disagree with your comments about MRW

It may be down to the depot and how you contact them but I deal with the depot in Torrevieja and they have been brilliant, when something was required urgenty the depot manager even came out especially to deliver it

Amazon just don't sell books or CD's, I have just brought 2 replacement lights for my car in Spain, UK price 36 pounds each, Spanish price €137 each so I don't just buy smaller items and they were shipped free to Spain with another item

Items bought where Amazon UK are the fullfilment company, are shipped fior FREE to Spain, the returns via MRW are FREE, and the prices are lower than Spain I also recently brought a laptop and laser printer, all shipped free and cheaper than buying is Spain

Like 0      
17 Sep 2011 8:37 PM by K 5ive Star rating in Cambrils. 116 posts Send private message

You have the right to disagree about your MRW! Maybe your depot is very good but the one here is awful! It is nothing to do with how I treat them at all. They are just rubbish full stop with a couldn't care less attitude towards the customer. My wife is Spanish BTW and also thinks they are awful.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

hotel or guest house - 2 posts
Short Term Residency in Spain - 6 posts
Self employed tax - 3 posts
Tax in Spain - 11 posts
Lawyers for Conveyancing - Different types? - 11 posts
Lawyers - different types - 0 posts
Satellite tv, white card, loss of channels Andalucia - 8 posts
Looking for 2B Apt Marbella San Pedro area, to move around 16/09/11 - 0 posts
conversacion español-ingles en Skype - 0 posts
Non-Resident Income Tax - A Guide - 20 posts
BBC iplayer - 28 posts
transport for a ski walker from Cheltenham to Alicante ? - 0 posts
Is this about right - 9 posts
wi fi in hotels and airports - 5 posts
UK or Spanish Driving Licence - 11 posts
Any advice on the Nerja/Almunecar area - 10 posts
obtaining a spanish driving licence - 18 posts
Childrens' Car Seats - 1 posts
Is there an answer - 1 posts
Betamax Video Recorder - 0 posts
Good News —Titleist 712 Series Irons - 0 posts
Help - 1 posts
spanish lessons - 22 posts
TV....... - 11 posts
Polymorphic light eruption - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 40

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x