NIE numbers

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Aug 2011 12:00 AM by nizzle Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Does anyone know if I need an NIE or residencia number to work in Gib? If not do I need anything? Can I open a bank account and do any other such business In Gib or Spain without one? 

Like 0      
28 Aug 2011 5:59 PM by SMYTHIE Star rating. 145 posts Send private message

why would you need an NIE to work in Gib its not spain

to open spanish account just need passport and proof of address can be in uk

most banks make opening an account a pain i suggest you try sabadel they seem to be everywhere and dont ask for daft things like other banks seem to do

Like 0      
28 Aug 2011 6:22 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Smyhie

You can only open a non resident bank account in Spain with a passport, but you can't for example get utilities connected to a property without a NIE.

Nizzle

I would have thought you could do anything in GIB with a Uk passport

Like 0      
29 Aug 2011 3:43 PM by TheWoodbug Star rating. 32 posts Send private message

I would have thought that Gib would give anything to attract new people to the rock, it's a dirty 'orrible place. I have been a few times and it doesn't get better. It's supposed to be a 'money haven' - off-shore accounts, money transfers globally (nudge, nudge - say no more). last time I was there I tried to get some cash, but was told that my card was no good for that. I went to a couple of different banks and I couldn't get any cash 'cos the bank card I had was apparently an  'agent clearance'  or something, please, dont ask! It's a UK card and works OK in Spain but not Gib, and I didn't have my Spanish cards with me. Eventually a very nice lady suggested that I should try it in Macdonalds as they had a cash point................and it worked! So much for your international high flying jetset financial tycoons, and off shore banks, use Macdonalds - that's what I say.

Like 0      
29 Aug 2011 3:53 PM by SMYTHIE Star rating. 145 posts Send private message

Team Gb I wonder how the thousands of non-resident holiday homers do it then?

Woodbug I went to gib once, never again very depressing place and its abit sad when Macdonalds is the high spot of the place.

You would think with all their money they could tart it up a bit

Like 0      
29 Aug 2011 4:11 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Smythie

Team Gb I wonder how the thousands of non-resident holiday homers do it then?

Do what?

You need to have a NIE to buy a holiday home or any property in Spain

You need a NIE to get utilities connected / changed to your name

You don't need a NIE to open a non resident bank account.

Like 0      
29 Aug 2011 4:19 PM by Tamsin Star rating. 169 posts Send private message

I really have to reply to the people who are criticising GIbraltar - so glad you do not like it there as you would not be welcome .  If Macdonalds is your highlight then I can say how  sad for you .   Gibraltar has some of the best eating places on the coast with the best tapas and at a resonabe price   - so typically English to criticise when all they want to  eat is burgers and chips with HP sauce .   Yes that is what Gib will provide because  that is what the English want but stroll away from the tourist areas and you have some fabulous restaurants.

A survey was done a few years ago and it was found that  Gibraltaneans  were some of the happiest in the world and  no wonder - the UK in the sun with all benefits . If you can get Gib residence you can enjoy no road tax, free buses ,very little crime ,family values  ,great standard of living.  Ask any person from the UK who manages to get a good job there if they want to go back and the answer will be No.   It is a fabulous place to bring up children with great education , free university places and Spain 10 mins away  . So please do not criticise unlessyou know what you are talking about .  

Like 0      
29 Aug 2011 4:29 PM by SMYTHIE Star rating. 145 posts Send private message

I was not criticizing merely agreeing with a previous post I suppose you did'nt bother to read the thread  

If you had read my post you wouldnt have bothered answering

My comment was  'and its abit sad when Macdonalds is the high spot of the place'.

No idea  why you would assume I eat burgers and chips either.

And why do you assume I am English?

Seems living in Gib makes one agressive why not go out and enjoy the place instead.

Like 0      
29 Aug 2011 4:31 PM by SMYTHIE Star rating. 145 posts Send private message

It was your post I was asking about perhaps you should read it.

So I still wonder how the non-resident holiday home owners do it although it doesn't matter to me some others might be interested in the answer.

Like 0      
29 Aug 2011 4:37 PM by TheWoodbug Star rating. 32 posts Send private message

Steady on Tamsin, I don't think we were that critical were we? The reference made to MaccyD's was that it was good for getting cash when all else fails, not praising their mono-menu. I am sure that Gib has it's  good points but sadly I haven't found them yet. You have to concede that Main Street and its immediate area is a bit pooh though - but I admire your plucky defence of the Rock.

Like 0      
29 Aug 2011 6:24 PM by SMYTHIE Star rating. 145 posts Send private message

Woodbug if you re read that odd post the only really good thing about gib is that Spain is 10 mins away

and the comment all brits are the same would imply some 60 million brits would agree with us

interesingly the big McD on the prom where I live closed down last year probably because here we dont enjoy that sort of thing lol

but it is odd the big finance island wont let you use the cash machines hardley good for business I would have thought.

This message was last edited by SMYTHIE on 29/08/2011.

This message was last edited by SMYTHIE on 29/08/2011.

Like 0      
30 Aug 2011 3:17 PM by Tamsin Star rating. 169 posts Send private message

Never had a problem with getting cash from a cash dispenser in Gib. The ohly thing I object to is that  if you are using  a cash machine from a British bank  they still charge you a fee as it it overseas even although you are being dispensed in £SD.   

With regard to the  Main Street - it is crowded every day as so many people visit there for the cheap cigarettes and cheap booze  and from the cruise liners ( where else can you get a bottle of whisky for unde £6 ) it has become a victim of its own success . If tourists will just go beyond Main Street ( they won't as they love the shopping ) it is so much better.   The locals don't particulary like   it either but they know that a busy Main  Street is one of the reasons for their prosperity .   Visit the Alameida Gardens or Queensway Quay  ( or the marina ) then you will see a different GIb and you can still shop.   GIB is shopping  and seeing the apes for 99% of the visitors between 9.00  to 5.00 when there is so much more . That is all I wanted to say .   l love it there but I am biased and I also love Spain .  I am so lucky that  I  have the benefit of both .

Like 0      
30 Aug 2011 3:32 PM by SMYTHIE Star rating. 145 posts Send private message

Think was 1971 when £sd dissappeared 

i dont drink whiskey but I pay 4 eu for a bottle of vodka in spain

Like 0      
30 Aug 2011 3:35 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

I don't think anyone could call McDs the "high spot " of anywhere!!

I know Gibraltar well, Tamsin, and as you say there are many other places to visit on the Rock besides Main Street.  And I am bemused, despite this recession it seems people are shopping till they drop, on Main Street?

And you do have the best of both worlds in that you have Spain right there.

I can remember when those of us in Marbella had to go to Gibraltar by boat, when the border was closed.  There was a Dutch captain in Pto. Banús who would take a few people for a fee.  It was all great fun, and a lovely trip on a fine day.

All the best

Patricia

Like 0      
30 Aug 2011 6:22 PM by SMYTHIE Star rating. 145 posts Send private message

WELL I WOULD SUPPOSE McD WAS ON TOP OF A DUNG HEAP THEN IT WOULD SURELY BE THE HIGH SPOT, AND JUSTLY SO!

HMMMMMMMMMMM SEEM TO BE A BIT OF THREAD

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Trip Advisor - 1 posts
SAT NAV - 0 posts
Wanted - 0 posts
Changing address re car ownership - 2 posts
Peugeot 206 cc For Sale - 4 posts
Parking Fines in Spain - 23 posts
Newbie - 16 posts
WHAT IS THE PRICE PER SQ MT FOR RESALE PROPERTY INLAND ALICANTE - 16 posts
Endesa Bank Account - 16 posts
VILLA - 0 posts
Equality in EU - 0 posts
Spain is possible - 5 posts
venta la choza - 2 posts
Advice on Correct Procedure, Please - 8 posts
COME DINE WITH ME COSTA DEL SOL TONIGHT - 4 posts
Serious Legal Problems - 23 posts
Looking for english/American school in Murcia/Alicante Region - 7 posts
Boundary Walls - 13 posts
humax freesat. - 23 posts
Back from Marbella trip - 6 posts
Embalse de Istan - 2 posts
JustCats Cattery - 6 posts
Is the region of Murcia typical Spain? - 16 posts
Ford Mustang '06 (US import) for sale in Estepona area - 0 posts
PATRIMONIO TAX is back !!!! - 38 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x