moving to spain for winter

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Aug 2011 12:00 AM by jimmygee67 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

we are moving to spain in october for 6 months.  is it easy to buy and insure a car over there or is it better to bring car from london. also looking for 2 bed property to rent for that time, is it better to sort this out before we leave or once we arrive, have heard there are lots of bargains out  there at moment. please advise, thanks jimmy.

Like 0      
19 Aug 2011 1:40 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Buy a car here. That way your car will be just one more Spanish one in the line,  not one that stands out. As you are staying more than 3 months you will have to register on the EU foreign citizen register (previously more or les Residencia) thus you will have an NIE number.

As for renting. I would come out stay in a hotel/hostel (they are often the same just may not have a lift or some other minor things so cannot be classified as a hotel). Have a look around, chat with residents by the pool,  in bars etc. You should be able privately to find a good place at a very reasonable rent.

PS. After six months, if you follow what I did, you might stay forever !

Like 0      
19 Aug 2011 1:49 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

Good advice, John. 

And I so identify with what you say about staying forever!

Patricia

Like 0      
19 Aug 2011 1:56 PM by Jon07 Star rating in Sydney. 84 posts Send private message

I suggest preferable to rent directly from a property owner.

Questionable how much "value add" Spanish property agents produce !

Good luck,

Jon

Like 0      
19 Aug 2011 2:37 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

It's easy to buy a car but not so easy to sell.

What do you intend doing with the car after 6 months?

I would drive over on ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao and then it's only a 10hr drive to Costa del Sol and that way you can bring more things with you as you will be staying for 6 months.

The Spanish have a habit of always blowing their horn at UK reg cars if you don't take off when lights change lile a F1 driver but just ignore them. Switch over to ESP plates and that all stops - amazing!

Other than that I would try get a good long term car rental deal from say ATESA (citroen).

Property rental is also easy but I do recommend you inspect property before renting etc. and check absolutely everything is working!!

Do you intend staying in one place for 6 months or going different places. Spain is a big coutry and lots of variation from coast to inland & north to south. I might be inclined to do a month here and a month there etc

Becareful with rental contracts and deposits - lots of sharp practice out here - trust no one!

Like 0      
19 Aug 2011 2:50 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Sorry.posted in wrong thread (I have deleted the post)

This message was last edited by johnzx on 19/08/2011.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Cristina empty property - 3 posts
Pregnant in Spain - 7 posts
There is definitely an increase of interest in property here. - 61 posts
Running a community without an administrator - 10 posts
Moving to Costa Del Sol from England - 14 posts
Bazanjoan - 2 posts
New Jokes - 12 posts
Costahouse.com Estate Agents, Benalmadena - 5 posts
Spanish economy - stolen purse - 47 posts
Flights from Cardiff to Alicante or Murcia - 11 posts
Purchased Property - 7 posts
Gestria Wanted - 0 posts
Jumilla Wine Festival - 2 posts
IT SEEMS IT'S NOT JUST THE WATER - 8 posts
SPAIN’S SHAMEFUL SECRET REVEALED - 1 posts
Running Costs - 0 posts
Crossing a Spanish cheque - 2 posts
Amazonia Adventure Park - 4 posts
Valencian Health Care system for early retirees - 0 posts
Relocating with small children - 3 posts
Help with Copia Simple - 11 posts
air con - 2 posts
power of attorney - 2 posts
Am i missing a trick?? - 8 posts
Why are there always huge queues at the butchers - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x