Insuring a permanent caravan on spanish land

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Jun 2011 12:00 AM by birdlife Star rating in London + Costa Blanc.... 6 posts Send private message

Hi everyone...

We've just bought a plot of land up in the mountains behind Benidorm, and then bought a touring caravan with UK papers from an English -run site in the area.  Have now had the caravan towed up onto our land where it will stay permanently as our holiday home (this was an extremely hairy experience, took 5hrs to get a 7ft 6 wide caravan up a steep 8ft 3" access path with crumbling edges!)  

Can anyone please advise about caravan insurance, should it be bought in the UK or Spain? Who from? Rough cost? We're completely new at this, any advice very welcome. Presume the tourer will be classed as a static?  We'll have gates installed at the top of the access path, and will remove the hitchbar as a measure of security.

Oh, also should we have new wills drawn up for this Spanish land and if so, should they be done in the UK or in Spain?  
Thanks!

Like 0      
25 Jun 2011 8:05 PM by elviriadreamer Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

elviriadreamer´s avatar

Hi Birdlife

I am just embarking on a similar mission to you. Well done getting it there and enjoy!

This is either really simple or really complex...you won't know until you try to do it.

I think you will find Spanish insurers will only provide third party, fire and theft. NOT contents...PLEASE check this thoroughly. Things like the door being on the opposite side of van if it is British all affect the policy. Taking out a British policy will usually only cover you whilst touring abroad NOT once it has been sited abroad for permanent use/holiday home. (Zalbu Caldu S.A.Try this Spanish company for insurance.)

As you have bought the plot of land, YES you must have a Spanish will drawn up immediately. Not sure if you can just have a copy of your English will with a codicil added covering the land in Spanish translation?? Someone else may be able to advise. This could, if possible to do work out cheaper than having an entirely new will written. However, if it is just to cover the land you could just have a Spanish will drawn up to include just the land. JUST DON'T CUT CORNERS to save a few pennies, as it could end up costing lot's of pennies in the long run if not done correctly.

My case is a little different to yours BUT hope this is some use to you. Good Luck.

Like 0      
25 Jun 2011 10:50 PM by elviriadreamer Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

elviriadreamer´s avatar

Also, was just sat here thinking and I dont know if this is a possibility? Can you insure land in Spain? If you can, could you just insure the land covering all contents on it? If yes, that may get you round the issue of companies who wouldn't insure the contents in van under a standard caravan policy. Just a thought.

Like 0      
25 Jun 2011 11:12 PM by birdlife Star rating in London + Costa Blanc.... 6 posts Send private message

Thanks Elviriadreamer, I think you've covered all angles and certainly saved me a headache or two....

Re your 2nd post, I sort of wondered about that myself but I think such a policy would be difficult to implement. Doubt they'd give you blanket coverage, so you'd have to specify each addition as you added it to the land, and that could go on for quite a while!  

TPF&T insurance is better than nothing, that's for sure.  Can't imagine why it matters which side the door is on, but know it's somehow relevant as have come across it on another thread to do with towing.  Really I just need the caravan insured mostly against theft of the whole van, though I'd like to see them try getting it off that access path!  I'm lucky as my brother is about 6 hairpin bends away from our plot and can keep an eye on it all for me.

I'm itching to get back out there to see to all the necessities!  I'll do some research beforehand about a Spanish will relating to the plot of land and post back when I've found out what's best to do.

Really appreciate your help, and best of luck with your venture too!

Like 0      
27 Jun 2011 1:00 PM by sneezey Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

sneezey´s avatar

If you own anything in Spain it is better to do a Will here in Spain. It only costs about 150 euros to do and would save your heirs a lot of expense, time, and bother in the future. It's quite easy and should be in Spanish and English. You would be best advised to use a solicitor as it makes things so much easier. Manilva Solicitors have offices all along La Costa del Sol and were great Good luck for the future and enjoy

Like 0      
11 Jul 2011 8:47 PM by elviriadreamer Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

elviriadreamer´s avatar

Hi Birdlife

Was just wondering, how you have got on. Did you manage to sort the insurance ok? Has all gone to plan? Yes, my nerves are kicking in, so hoping to hear good news from you and that it was all simple and easy to do??

Hope you're still excited and having fun :)

Like 0      
11 Jul 2011 11:29 PM by birdlife Star rating in London + Costa Blanc.... 6 posts Send private message

Thanks Sneezy, I'll look into the Spanish will when next I'm out in September (seems a long time away!)

Elviria, I've been pulled away on family business so haven't got far with my own.  But as soon as I do I'll post here.   I am quietly excited still!  Work has been going on in my absence (gates, fencing, water tanks, etc) so looking forward to seeing everything first hand. Hope your venture is nearing fruition too!

Like 0      
12 Jul 2011 11:08 PM by elviriadreamer Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

elviriadreamer´s avatar

Will look forward to it Birdlife, so do post how it all goes. Yes, my plans are coming on slowly...learning as I go. All in good fun though. Just exploring solar power and some other things that keep living costs lower but obviously raise initial costs. Watching weights for tourer transportation/belongings limits like a hawk! I'm finding some aspects of downsizing hard BUT I now have a lovely big awning  :)

Good luck and happy caravaning!

Like 0      
13 Jul 2011 9:55 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Re making a Will.

It is important to make a Spanish Will, but unless you have very unusual circumstances, I would suggest you go straight to a Notary who will have the wording for the Will on their computer. 

The Will has to be made by the notary even if you use a solicitor to draft it.  In effect all you are doing by using a solicitor is creating more expense and an extra visit to their office and a delay.

The cost I believe is about 40 euros.

Like 0      
13 Jul 2011 12:23 PM by Sneezey Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

Sneezey´s avatar

The will needs to be in Spanish and English, if you are an english speaker, and it costs about 70 to 75 euros in Manilva at the notary. I would still advise that the extra expense of a solicitor is worth it for your own peace of mind. They usually charge about 150 euros including the Notary fees and VAT. Which is not too expensive.

Like 0      
13 Jul 2011 12:29 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Your choice Sneeyz,

I am giving that advice based on more than 30 years legal experience, and over 20 in Spain.

But I may be wrong.

Most, if not all Notaries have the will formate in Spanish (which is the legal version) and an English translation.

Like 0      
15 Jul 2011 1:20 AM by birdlife Star rating in London + Costa Blanc.... 6 posts Send private message

John - thank you, sensible advice and less costly.  Sneezey, I see where john's coming from and don't feel that he's cutting corners as my case is straightforward.  He's right that the Notary has to ratify the Will and many legal forms can be done directly from the Notary's office. I found the same thing with the purchase of the land and I gave a Power to my agent to purchase the parcel of land on my behalf  (using the Notary's office, not a solicitor) while i was out of the country (but had there been property as well as land I would have instructed a solicitor).   She took us to the police station to obtain our NIE's before we left, took us to the bank to open a spanish account, and we also met the Notary at his office.  Completion went ahead in our absence and the escritura is with the property registry.

Elviria  ~ yes i'm looking at some solar power too, and its amazing what you can pick up at the roadside markets, my brother got 2 solar panels that way.  Awning sounds good, I would have gone for that had we not been building a verandah all round.  Should get a callback tomorrow from the insurance people, hope it's positive!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Gyms in Benalmadena? - 2 posts
Apartment for long term rental - 0 posts
Eye on Spain - 35 posts
Securing Car Documentation In Spain - 2 posts
looking for long term rental - 0 posts
looking for long term rental - 2 posts
looking for long term rental - 0 posts
Another Property Expert - 0 posts
Visiting Spain with your iPad - 0 posts
right hand drive cars - 1 posts
Scraping a Vehicle in Majorca - 1 posts
Tethering iphone 4 to ipad 2 on vodafone.es - 3 posts
long term rental in Elviria - 0 posts
To the Airport - 13 posts
Noches San Juan - 10 posts
Boundaries - 14 posts
Military Jet Crashes at San Javier Airport - Thankfully nobody hurt - 0 posts
TIPOA CAR HIRE ALICANTE AIRPORT - 9 posts
need advice!!!! - 6 posts
Free Calls and cheaper packages better deals than BT in Spain offer - 0 posts
For Fans of Charlton Athletic, Bristol City & Cardiff City - 1 posts
OWNERS OF EDIFICIO CORAL, RIVIERA DEL SOL! URGENT PLEASE - 1 posts
YES! YES! YES! - 7 posts
Hola - 0 posts
TAG Purchase - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x