Noches San Juan

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Jun 2011 12:00 AM by sorcha00 Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Hello

Can anyone tell me where is the best place to celebrate Noches San Juan with children between Fuengirola and Marbella?

Thanks

Sarah

Like 0      
22 Jun 2011 10:06 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

I would suggest Fuengirola.

The main activity will be around El Castillo where there will be stage with music but it will be celebrated all along the seafront.

El Castillo is the castle on the hill opposite Myramar shopping centre.

This message was last edited by Faro on 22/06/2011.

Like 0      
22 Jun 2011 10:37 AM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 420 posts Send private message

Tomorrow afternoon at Parque de La Paloma in Fuengirola  there are activities for the kids.  Foam cannon, games ... etc, i believe it starts around 6pm, will try to find more information for you.

Joan

Like 0      
22 Jun 2011 12:02 PM by prosky Star rating in Costa del Sol. 13 posts Send private message

prosky´s avatar

Hi 

Parque de la paloma is in Benalmadena!  is there one in Fuengirola also?  But the Castle is the better option, i have been there many times.

Regards,

Carl.

Like 0      
22 Jun 2011 12:05 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 420 posts Send private message

There is also a Parque de La Paloma in Fuengirola, what they are doing there tomorrow is specially for the kids, this year the castle is going to be different, there will be no band, only some sort of chill out zone and then everyone on the beach!

Like 0      
22 Jun 2011 9:53 PM by sorcha00 Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Thanks

Where is Parque de La Paloma in Fuengirola? I only know of the one in Benalmadena.

Will probably head there early for the kids and then down to the castle for later.

Thanks

Sarah

Like 0      
22 Jun 2011 11:51 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

La Noche de San Juan

Old customs indeed

This is the night before the summer solstice.  These are listed separately, as the historical treatment of Midsummer is one of the greatest faerie riddles I can imagine, but St. John's and Midsummer should be the same holiday.

Interpretations

• In England, it was the ancient custom on St. John's Eve to light large bonfires after sundown, which served the double purpose of providing light to the revelers and warding off evil spirits. This was known as 'setting the watch'. People often jumped through the fires for good luck. In addition  to these fires, the streets were lined with lanterns, and people carried cressets (pivoted lanterns atop poles) as they wandered from one bonfire to another. These wandering, garland-bedecked bands were called a 'marching watch'. Often they were attended by morris dancers, and traditional players dressed as a unicorn, a dragon, and six hobby-horse riders. Just as May Day was a time to renew the boundary on one's own  property, so Midsummer's Eve was a time to ward the boundary of the community
  • Most young folk held late night partys, planning to stay up throughout the whole of this shortest night of the year.
  • Some people might spend the night keeping watch in the center of a circle of standing stones, risking death to gain the power of poetic inspiration.
  •  This was also the night when the serpents of the island would roll themselves into a hissing, writhing ball in order to engender the 'glain', also called the 'serpent's egg', 'snake stone', or 'Druid's egg'. Anyone in possession of this hard glass bubble would wield incredible magical powers.
  • In Britain, Midsummer night was second only to Halloween for its importance to the Faeries, who especially enjoyed a ridling on such a finesummer's night.  Some Faerie lore includes:
  • To see the Faeries, gather fern seed at the stroke of midnight and rub it onto your eyelids.
  • You might be led astray by Pixies unless you carry some Rue in your pocket.  Or, you might simply turn your jacket inside-out, which should keep you from harm's way, as will crossing a stream of 'living' water.
  • Other customs included decorating the house, especially the front door, with birch, fennel, St.  John's wort, orpin, and white lilies.
    Five plants were thought to have special magical properties on this night: rue, roses, St. John's wort, vervain and trefoil.

Like 0      
23 Jun 2011 11:43 AM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 420 posts Send private message

Parque de La Paloma is somewhere near the Euromarket, next to the Instituto de Bachiller Sierra de Mijas

Joan

Like 0      
23 Jun 2011 1:44 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Is that not Parque Andalucia?

Like 0      
23 Jun 2011 3:36 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 420 posts Send private message

Thanks Faro, i though myself that the person that told me had it wrong but as they live right next to it i didnt think to doubt them! I have checked on the map and you are correct! Its the Parque de Andalucia!

Sorry for the mix up,

Joan

Like 0      
23 Jun 2011 3:36 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 420 posts Send private message

Thanks Faro, i though myself that the person that told me had it wrong but as they live right next to it i didnt think to doubt them! I have checked on the map and you are correct! Its the Parque de Andalucia!

Sorry for the mix up,

Joan

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Boundaries - 14 posts
Military Jet Crashes at San Javier Airport - Thankfully nobody hurt - 0 posts
TIPOA CAR HIRE ALICANTE AIRPORT - 9 posts
need advice!!!! - 6 posts
Free Calls and cheaper packages better deals than BT in Spain offer - 0 posts
For Fans of Charlton Athletic, Bristol City & Cardiff City - 1 posts
OWNERS OF EDIFICIO CORAL, RIVIERA DEL SOL! URGENT PLEASE - 1 posts
YES! YES! YES! - 7 posts
Hola - 0 posts
TAG Purchase - 4 posts
What is perfect swing ? - 4 posts
La Manga Murcia to Marbella by Car - 2 posts
Palmera properties - 0 posts
There's an uncertainty about Spain's and Europe's future - 14 posts
Public liability insurance - 5 posts
How to overcome parking difficulties in Fuengirola - 0 posts
Help snake - 6 posts
CGT on bond - 2 posts
Wanted, pop up beach canopy - 3 posts
ELEC METER - 1 posts
seafood restaurant reccommendations - 0 posts
Trailer wanted just south of Alicante - 0 posts
Seadoo GTX 185hp Supercharged Jetski - 0 posts
ENTIDAD URBANISTICA DE CONSERVACIÓN - 19 posts
Shutters and Cockroaches-Please Help - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x