Transferring money to Spain for completion

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 May 2007 12:00 AM by san miguel Star rating. 288 posts Send private message

san miguel´s avatar

We are due to complete in approximately 5 weeks. I need to transfer the balance of monies from an offshore Euro account to Spain as I believe I have to have the money with me on the day of completion. The reason for the offshore account is that I got a good exchange rate 12 months ago and changed into euros and opened the offshore account to hold it. I have been paying the stage payments directly to the developer from this account.

I have an account with Banco Halifax and have been told that if I transfer the money to them ready for completion they will charge me 0.75% commision. This will cost me about 350 eros.

My question is - is there another way I can pay the balance and avoiding commision charges?

-Pay sum to the solicitor from offshore account?

-Pay sum to the develper from offshore account?

OTHER IDEAS?

Any help appreciated

Brian

STOP CYBER-BULLYING 

AND PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH

Like 0      
25 May 2007 12:12 PM by Rose1 Star rating in El Pilar, Estepona. 78 posts Send private message

Rose1´s avatar

This message was last edited by Rose1 on 5/25/2007.

Like 0      
25 May 2007 2:22 PM by Glyn the Lawyer Star rating in Jávea / Xabia, Benij.... 19 posts Send private message

You might wish to explore the option of sending funds as "costs paid". By this I refer to the fact that from client experience this should in theory avoid any landing fee or receipt charge being levied by the receiving bank. To physically send funds from the UK the cost is normally low from what I understand although this may differ if funds are held offshore.

In practice funds can then be received in client account or the clients our bank with no charge applied and only a small fee is paid to send them.

Like 0      
25 May 2007 2:45 PM by san miguel Star rating. 288 posts Send private message

san miguel´s avatar

Thank you for the reply Glyn,

Would I - explore the option of sending funds as "costs paid".-  with my Offshore bank or the Spanish receiving bank?

Regards

STOP CYBER-BULLYING 

AND PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH

Like 0      
25 May 2007 3:50 PM by Glyn the Lawyer Star rating in Jávea / Xabia, Benij.... 19 posts Send private message

Your offshore bank. Clients in the Uk have advised me that when they send funds various options exist vis-a-vis costs and one of these is to send funds as "costs paid" which is designed to avoid any landing fee being applied. In actual fact I seem to remember having seen a copy of a transfer note sent by fax by a client which contained various options and you simply ticked the applicable box. 

In practice it seems to work but its certainly also worth checking with your Spanish bank or your lawyers to ensure their bank will not apply a fee if it is sent in this way.

Regards

Like 0      
25 May 2007 4:07 PM by rosi n Star rating in Cornwall / axarquia. 119 posts Send private message

San miguel , We have used the bank transfer system from uk bank direct to the lawyer  it was very little in costs  I think about  £30 ish  and they even gave us a good rate ( they  were really good lawyers  100%  correct  )  but you dont have the pound / euro,  problem .  just transfer from offshore costs ,interesting one good luck with this  .    Regards Rosi n

Like 0      
25 May 2007 8:19 PM by tinto. Star rating in Scotland & Nr Estepo.... 243 posts Send private message

tinto.´s avatar
We have just transferred last week directly to our lawyers client account at no cost.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

New EOS Team member - 3 posts
message board - 5 posts
MOT / NCT requirement - 7 posts
Associated Costs for bits needed in the house - 4 posts
Community fees at completion - 3 posts
Oldest rock band destined for chart stardom - 7 posts
Trevorcra - 3 posts
Long Term Lets/ Long Term Problems? - 0 posts
Short Term Rentals - 5 posts
Free Language Courses For Your MP3 - 1 posts
new to webb site - 4 posts
we sell ford focus trend wagon 1.8. We buy Family Car - 0 posts
Clare and Mike Aldridge - 0 posts
Is there anybody out there? - 12 posts
MARIA - 4 posts
When exactly are taxes due? - 10 posts
Taxation on two properties - 1 posts
Land Registry - 0 posts
Importing an English plated car - 3 posts
hi,new to site purchased in cox - 9 posts
Refund of Deposit - 1 posts
What is this ? - 5 posts
Any good Employment Agancies in the CDS? - 10 posts
anyone bought / moving to San Miguel de Salinas (Angelina apartments)? - 20 posts
Importing a car derived van into Spain - 45 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x