The Ambassador talking.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Jun 2011 12:00 AM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

13 Jun 2011 2:54 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

And here are two expats talking:

"Preparation and planning are the key.Too often the dream turns into a nightmare. Returning home can be stressful both emotionally, and financially. With some their circumstances dictate a return home, things that couldn't have been foreseen. Most people could have, by asking the right questions, avoided costly mistakes.

For example, what do you want to achieve in the medium to long term if you do move abroad?

What do you like about your life now? What are the important things to you? Can you bear to lose the same level of contact with your friends and relatives? Invariably there will be compromises when you move. How much would you miss the community you live in, will you have to exist on a lower income, are you willing to do that if necessary? Are you prepared to put career prospects on hold? What about your health, will you miss having the access to your doctor or hospital?

Will you be able to fit in to a new way of life? Do you have the skills, strengths and resources which will help you adapt to the challenges of a new life? Can you come to accept a slower - or possibly faster - pace of life? Some of what you eat will be different to what you are used to. Can you cope with 'foreign food?'
"

Taken from:

http://www.expatsinspain.co.uk/page40.htm

Like 0      
13 Jun 2011 4:47 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

I should think if anyone looking at moving to Spain spoke directly to a few ex-pats, looked at  threads on this and similar forums and then at the petitions, they would have a pretty good idea of the positive and negative aspects. 

Like 0      
13 Jun 2011 7:00 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

I expect they would.  I am sure EOS is viewed widely.

Patricia

Like 0      
13 Jun 2011 7:03 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

I had just been wondering how helpful the Embassy had been towards U.K. citizens who found themselves in the situations you describe.  Are they helpful at the moment in backing the petitions?

Patricia

Like 0      
14 Jun 2011 9:45 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

no, this is down to people power it seems. The UK government and the EU for that matter considers that this is a matter for Spain to deal with, so we get answers like   ''we can't interfere in another EU countries business'' or ''we have to rely on Spain's competent juditial system''

Both answers are a cop out because the issues go far further than laws simply not being implemented, they are often a clear abuse of human rights.  Spains juditial system is anything but competent, so that  answer is complete rubbish as well, and no help to anyone wronged.

As Spain shows little sign of putting its house in order, what is needed is pressure to force change in the system, and it seems only the EU have the power to do this if and when the right directives are in place,  and I believe only by enough people saying they have had enough of the abuse, through petitions, protest etc, will this happen. The positive side as I see it is that the changes when implemented  should benifit everyone involved in the Spanish property industry who has any intention of playing by the rules?

Like 0      
14 Jun 2011 2:07 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

Hello Goodstitch:

I really do commend your optimism, but the key words are "if and when".  I can see the Embassy's point when saying that they cannot interfere in another country's business, but I would have thought that they would be more helpful on what you see as a human rights issue.  After all as a U.K. citizen (and I expect that most of your group are also U.K. citizens) you are paying not only for the Embassy but also the wages of the Embassy staff. 

I greatly fear that the changes you would like to see/force may take (and I am surmising here) fifty years, maybe more. 

Patricia

Like 0      
14 Jun 2011 2:42 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

If the EU is happy to let the abuse continue despite bucket loads of evidence and Spain is happy with its economy, repuatation and current property situation, then I agree, change will be a long time coming. If however someone or some group in the EU has a conscience when all the evidence in the petitions are laid before them, (that the Spanish government clearly doesn't) or can view change as an economical benifit in the long term as well as human benifit now, then we might get the long overdue changes needed for justice, integrity in the system, and help towards Spain's property market recovery. 

All we can do is fight for what we know is right and gather as much evidence and support as possible to be heard, then it's up to those in power to do the right thing, .........Crystal ball anyone?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Aifos owners face prison (Again) ? - 2 posts
Developers appeal against decision...who knows? - 11 posts
getting license de obra for ibiza villa - 10 posts
How do I close a joint bank account for my mother and late step father - 0 posts
Hot air balooning in Andalucia. Help please. - 1 posts
Another newbie.......... - 5 posts
Reading SOME posters posts lately .. - 3 posts
do i need an nie - 9 posts
Good News For Investors - 0 posts
Los Alcazares bike hire - 4 posts
Bank Fee's please Help - 5 posts
Income tax in Spain - 2 posts
Desperate developer or just creative? - 3 posts
CAR RENTAL EXCESS INSURANCE CHARGES - 6 posts
BREAD FLOUR - 7 posts
Voting and Democracy at Community Meetings - 21 posts
Obtaining a Spanish birth certificate - 10 posts
Another Win For Costaluz Lawyers - 5 posts
Lazy Z Spa hot tub - 2 posts
SEGWAY FOR HIRE - 0 posts
WHERE TO PAY TAXES - 10 posts
Reposession by Cambank - 12 posts
U.K. in Spain - 4 posts
spanish personal tax allowances - 8 posts
How do I contact Ryanair? - 23 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x