Spanish youth rally in Madrid echoes Egypt protests

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 May 2011 12:00 AM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

I was wondering how long before we would see these sort of protests in Spain.  Let's hope they stay peaceful..

More on my blog here

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
18 May 2011 5:55 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Yeah, I've been following this on the news. 

It's interesting how on twitter they are using hash tags with english words such as "yeswecamp" and "spanishrevolution".

It's rare that these sorts of protests end well but let's hope it does remain peaceful.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
18 May 2011 6:32 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I just found this on YouTube and it gives a good idea as to what's going on.

It was recorded on 15th of May which was the first day of protests.

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
19 May 2011 9:29 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

This is looking like it could become quite big.  It's been spreading to other big cities like Barcelona, Sevilla, Cadiz and Valencia.

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
20 May 2011 9:52 AM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Can we gain any hope for speedier reform of the Banks and the Justice system in Spain from this do you think? Or is that just wishful thinking?

Like 0      
20 May 2011 12:29 PM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

ads - don't be silly.  Civil unrest in the Middle East is generally speaking pro-democracy protest against a dictator.  The Madrid street party was mainly anarchist and communist opportunists exploiting the trend, in order to have a go at the government.   All a bit of fun and totally ineffective.  Don't hold your breath waiting for the UN resolution to bomb Zap's command headquarters in Madrid.

Like 0      
20 May 2011 1:32 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

I've been watching the news in Spain and the people protesting look like ordinary young Spanish people who are desperate for work.

Like 0      
20 May 2011 1:34 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

The authorities have just banned these protests in Spain, much like the North African and Middle Eastern dictatorships tried to do.

More details here.

Like 0      
20 May 2011 3:09 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Jek , the youtube footage made reference to "we are not safe in politicians & banks hands", so reference was made to the Banks.

I, like Sanchez, hope it stays peaceful.

Like 0      
20 May 2011 7:39 PM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

Sanchez - of course they look like young people desperate for work.  That's because that's what the majority of them almost certainly are.  And of course they mention the banks ads because the banks were at the heart of the financial problems that triggered the global economic crisis that forced governments to react in a way that harmed employment and living standards.  But there is a huge difference between the dictatorships in the Middle East and the parliamentary democracy that is Spain.  People have been taking to the streets to protest in Spain for years - same in the UK and other democracies.  And they have a democratic solution - the ballot box.  That option was/is not available in Tunisia, Egypt, Libya, Syria etc.  And they might have no faith in politicians - so what do they want to replace them with?  The choice is simple.  It's either different politicians or no politicians.  So anarchy.  Chaos.  It is a protest from the impotent.  Nothing will change because of it.

Like 0      
20 May 2011 9:49 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Just came back from one democraciareal, spanishrevolution event here in Algeciras: gorgeous!

civilized, pacific, throughtful, critical, risponsable, creative, hopeful, energizing, human, person-oriented...... EXCELLENT!

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
20 May 2011 10:22 PM by lobin Star rating. 256 posts Send private message

Sanchez the demonstration was banned only for Saturday May 21st.  The ban is based on the Election Laws that prohibits any sort of political propaganda or demostrations on the day before an Election Day because such a day receives the consideration of a Day of Reflection so that people can have a chance to consider who to vote for.

Of course demonstrators will not cease the demonstration on Saturday,  but this prohibition which was not made by the Government but by the Elections Board, is not at all similar to that of the Arab countries.  It only involves Saturday May 21st.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Honda Goldwing Trike for sale - 1 posts
JUST TWO QUESTIONS I WOULD LIKE YOUR READERS TO APPLY TO - 0 posts
Dispute with a hotel fee - 2 posts
Using Facebook to rent out your property to holidaymakers - 6 posts
New-nationally introduced health, safety and security training for workers in Spain - 0 posts
Any info on Almerimar? - 10 posts
Any lawyer/someone with experience who could be kind and help explain the squatting rights in Spain please - 8 posts
Pet supplies - 2 posts
cant wait to leave uk for good - 0 posts
Televes satelite receiver Spain. uk programmes - 1 posts
Tipping in spain.What do you do? - 7 posts
Healthcare for ex Servicemen - 2 posts
carpet fitting in spain - 6 posts
Norman Sands - 45 posts
help anyone ENDESA - 6 posts
renualt grand scenic for sale - 0 posts
looking for a long term rental - 1 posts
Summer Schools in Spain - 7 posts
Makes you proud to be British - NOT !! - 0 posts
Makes you proud to be English - - NOT!! - 41 posts
Potential Legal Problems With Car I Dont Own - 4 posts
Tax implications for Renting my Apartment - 0 posts
Hope someone can help!! - 8 posts
Moving to spain - help - 2 posts
long term rental ?????????? - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x