Tipping in spain.What do you do?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 May 2011 12:00 AM by BigWilly Star rating in Spain of course. 118 posts Send private message

what percentage do you tip?

or do you tip at all?

Like 0      
17 May 2011 12:57 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

You leave what you consider fair, normally people say minimum 10%

Joan

Like 0      
17 May 2011 1:31 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

The Spanish don't tend to tip.  They may round the bill up - if the bill comes to say 19.50, they would probably just leave 20 euros.  I think the only people who really tip in Spain are tourists.

JoanMalaga, I would say that 10% is far too high in Spain.  France or the UK, yes.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
17 May 2011 1:44 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I don't know anyone that leaves 10%, especially in the current climate.

If I've had some toast and a coffee for breakfast I never leave a tip.  It's not expected anyway.

If we got out for a meal and the service as been really good, and the food good too of course, I will always leave a tip but never more than 2 or 3 euros.

Most Spaniard don't tip.

For me it really is down to the service.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
17 May 2011 2:22 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

Yes, I most certainly do tip.  And Spanish people do tip, always have, even though perhaps they may not do so in the current recessionary times. 

I have lived in Spain most of my life, my husband is Spanish and he certainly does tip. 

The percentage one leaves is entirely up to oneself. As Joan says, leave what you think is fair.  If you pay say 15 to 20 euro for lunch, then it would seem fine to leave €1.5 or €2 euro tip.

Patricia

Like 0      
17 May 2011 2:53 PM by scubamike Star rating in Murcia province . 218 posts Send private message

scubamike´s avatar

I do tip but it depends on the service I tend to round up a bill up to a max of 10% in restaurants

In local bars I just leave a few odd coins from the change

For a 3 euro breakfast I probably wouldn't leave a tip

Like 0      
18 May 2011 5:24 PM by freddy Star rating. 71 posts Send private message

Can't see a problem. Just like anywhere in the world... If I get good service, I reward them with a tip....if the service is lousy, I  pay the bill and walk away. sometimes with a reminder never to return !!.

Like 0      
19 May 2011 8:44 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

If you find the restaurant and in particular the service to your liking the best tip you can give is genuine thanks. It is much more appreciated than a few coins. Another way of showing gratitude is to return often and when you do so bring friends with you. The goodwill felt towards you will be self evident. As a bonus you will drive standards up, which we will all benefit from.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Healthcare for ex Servicemen - 2 posts
carpet fitting in spain - 6 posts
Norman Sands - 45 posts
help anyone ENDESA - 6 posts
renualt grand scenic for sale - 0 posts
looking for a long term rental - 1 posts
Summer Schools in Spain - 7 posts
Makes you proud to be British - NOT !! - 0 posts
Makes you proud to be English - - NOT!! - 41 posts
Potential Legal Problems With Car I Dont Own - 4 posts
Tax implications for Renting my Apartment - 0 posts
Hope someone can help!! - 8 posts
Moving to spain - help - 2 posts
long term rental ?????????? - 3 posts
fuegirola car impound - 0 posts
Frienldy, reliable cleaning and key holding etc required for two apartments in Guardamar - 3 posts
SENDING MONEY BACK TO THEV UK - 6 posts
illegal houses in spain - 0 posts
Transferring property into sole name - 14 posts
Car Insurance - 4 posts
Beach Front Properties - Subject to Depreciation - 4 posts
Troublesome pet - 1 posts
european law - 0 posts
That Wedding.... - 1 posts
Wanted - Catering equipment - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x