Hope someone can help!!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 May 2011 12:00 AM by Mishka Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

hi there I'm new to this forum and was really hoping that someone could give me a bit of advice with relation to buying a car in Spain. Of course its not a straightforward situation, so here goes. My parents have a holiday home in Spain but have not used it for about six years now (my mother had a stroke and my father is currently very unwell). I have been going to Spainfor the summer with my husband a 2 children for the last few years and have always rented a car but  the rentals are just getting more and more expensive each year so we would love to be able to buy a car for our own use over there. I dont have any documents and didn't want to have to bother my parents with this. Any ideas????  Thanks a mill!! 

Like 0      
15 May 2011 8:40 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

We are owners of a Spanish property & are non residents who bought a Spanish car almost two years ago now. We needed to show my husband's NIE as the car was bought in his name (NIE is your Spanish ID) & his passport & deeds (or Copia Simple) or Padron. I doubt therefore that you could buy a Spanish car, you haven't the relevant documents.

Like 0      
16 May 2011 8:46 AM by Jimbofinn Star rating in Chiclana De La Front.... 224 posts Send private message

Jimbofinn´s avatar

Morerosado is right.  Did your parents have a car in Spain, do they still have it?  If so it may be possible to get the ITV done and them to re-insure it then you can use it with their permission.  There is plenty of info on this site about this particular form of use.  Good luck.

Like 0      
16 May 2011 10:43 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Jimbo, Mishka said her parents haven't been to Spain in six years & she & her husband have been hiring a car when they go out on holiday. Her parents won't have a car or she'd have been using it if she had been using her parents place for holidays.

Like 0      
16 May 2011 11:46 AM by crostrad Star rating. 92 posts Send private message

In the words of the song --There are more questions than answers

If you buy a used spanish car from a dealership do they take care of handling/checking all the paperwork--NIE and the like, or do you have to vist the relavent offices to get it done, and if so, does it take ages to get it all sorted out?

We try and get over to Valencia 5 or 6 times a year and like the O.P. are finding car hire to be getting more and more expensive--despite using one of the cheaper companies.

Just back from a weeks stay at the start of May and found that the headline-or- "Gotcha!" price of 106 euro ended up at 211 euro with the addition of the tank of diesel, extra insurance for tyres/underbody ( we visit friends who live a mile up a mountain assault course track)--then if you read the small print on the extra insurance you find out that there's a 300 euro excess.

This same company used to give 2 drivers allowance-now you have to pay an extra fee-so this time we opted for me not driving ( relief-'cos I don't enjoy driving in Spain-which is strange as in the u.k. I get white line fever and love driving everywhere)

If you buy secondhand-say something 3-4 years old and insure with a spanish company-do you build up a no claims bonus as in the u.k? 

Like 0      
16 May 2011 11:55 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Crostrad

We bought a 18 mth old Fiesta from the main Ford dealer in Torrevieja. As I said in my previous post We are owners of a Spanish property & are non residents who bought a Spanish car almost two years ago now. We needed to show my husband's NIE as the car was bought in his name (NIE is your Spanish ID) & his passport & deeds (or Copia Simple) or Padron.

Ford did everything necessary, we had to wait around 4 weeks I think it was to get all docs back from Traffico which we picked up from the dealer. They give you a note for 30 days to show to police if they stop you, to show you're the new owner.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 16/05/2011.

Like 0      
16 May 2011 12:11 PM by crostrad Star rating. 92 posts Send private message

Thanks for that info. More-we're also non resident  property (money pit) owners.

Our house is in a very cramped part of the old village--no off street parking-but our friends who live up the mountain have said we could keep a car up there and they could collect us from Valencia airport when we arrive each time.

Next time over we can check out some car dealers and get an idea of what's on offer

And now ...back to painting the bathroom wall--the excitement never ends here

Like 0      
16 May 2011 6:22 PM by Mishka Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thanks to everyone for their input!! To be honest we really just wanted the car to be left at the house in Spain rather than having to sort out car hire year, after year, after year. My folks never had a car out there, they didn't really need it. We need it more as we have a special needs child. I've had friends who went to Australia, bought a car and just no probs. Straightforward. 

Like 0      
19 May 2011 1:54 PM by Eva2008 Star rating in Reading. 152 posts Send private message

Eva2008´s avatar

I think that "Spain" and "straightforward" are two words that you rarely see in the same sentence.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Moving to spain - help - 2 posts
long term rental ?????????? - 3 posts
fuegirola car impound - 0 posts
Frienldy, reliable cleaning and key holding etc required for two apartments in Guardamar - 3 posts
SENDING MONEY BACK TO THEV UK - 6 posts
illegal houses in spain - 0 posts
Transferring property into sole name - 14 posts
Car Insurance - 4 posts
Beach Front Properties - Subject to Depreciation - 4 posts
Troublesome pet - 1 posts
european law - 0 posts
That Wedding.... - 1 posts
Wanted - Catering equipment - 0 posts
La Caixa Bank Guarentee that is unpaid - 7 posts
Not Signs of the Times - 0 posts
Direct debit payments for Community fees - 5 posts
No bank guarantee - La Caixa obliged to refund deposits. - 0 posts
Guardia at Manilva - 3 posts
car info - 4 posts
PROPERTY TAXES FOR NON RESIDENTS - 8 posts
ILLEGALLY HOUSES IN SPAIN - 0 posts
Joe Molloy - 1 posts
Grandfather Colcks in Spain - 1 posts
ILLEGALLY HOUSES IN SPAIN - 1 posts
A7-E15 that passes via Lorca en route to Murcia - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x