EOS in IE9

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 May 2011 12:00 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Anybody noticed any problems with this site in IE9? Apart from the left hand column ads not being aligned with the posts, and having to scroll down below all the posts to see them (which happened with IE8 as well, not that I'm complaining!) I've found the insert photos & smiley buttons won't work. Also noticed rather strangely that lower case "w"s and "v"s seem to appear rather faint in posts. 

Edit: running in compatibility mode solves these issues, but a couple of bits of the page still seem to be mis-aligned:

Not a problem - just wondered if anybody else is using IE9 and getting this?

(P.S. sorry Justin if I'm causing headaches for you - wouldn't it be nice if all browsers were the same?!)

This message was last edited by Roberto on 03/05/2011.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
03 May 2011 2:48 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Roberto Hi;

Just out of curiosity I ran EOS in IE7 and it does the same thing that you are seeing in IE9.

This is an EOS site compatibility problem with IE 'cos it works just fine in Firefox...

Wifey develops many websites always using FF and its so frustrating when she checks to see what they look like in IE only to find various errors. Its not always the same solution either so can't suggest anything. Its something to do with the version of HTML that is used to set up the website. Apparently HTML5 is the correct version for both IE7 & IE9. Also IE9 has compatibility issues with Javascript too. Consensus of opinion is that IE9 is a load of garbage.

There is an add-on for Firefox called Web Developer which can be used as a tool for finding web page errors.

If you have any other websites that give problems in IE9, I  would suggest deleting this version and reverting to IE8 which is an altogether better version of IE (if there is such a thing as a good version of IE!)... Either that or use Firefox....

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
03 May 2011 3:04 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

For Justin... 

I ran EOS through http://validator.w3.org/ and it came up with 34 validation errors and 7 warnings...

This is another tool which wifey uses regularly before sending websites up to the servers that she uses.

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
03 May 2011 10:17 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Hmmm, looks like I'm going to have to install IE9

The sites works fine for me in IE8.

Will have a play around with it this morning and see what the problem is.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
03 May 2011 10:28 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

I had the same problem ages ago in IE 8, so I cleared the cache.

Since then it's been fine!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
03 May 2011 10:49 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Actually that's a good point.

Roberto, if you hit ctrl + F5 does that fix it for you?

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
03 May 2011 7:25 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Makes no difference. Switching OFF compatibility mode actually solves the problem at the top right of the page, BUT the smileys and insert picture functions then don't work! And the reply and new thread buttons are still squiffy.

I'm not really bothered about these things, the site is still functioning (except for smileys and inserting pics if not running in compatibilty mode of course!) I just wondered what others were experiencing. For you, Justin, the ads not appearing alongside the posts is probably a more pressing issue? But please don't lose any sleep over it on my account! 

Mark Twain

Like 0      
04 May 2011 1:28 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Hmm, a slight problem.

It seems you can only install IE9 on a Windows 7 machine!

I'm still running XP.

This has to be the perfect excuse to get a new PC

Justin

Like 0      
04 May 2011 2:35 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Or to just update your OS, Justin! ;)

Like 0      
04 May 2011 3:25 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Justin's PC creaks running on XP - so no chance of W7 running on it! lol

Mind you, he probably hasn't done any house cleaning on it since I did it for him 2 years ago!!! lol

I'll u/g to IE 9 on my laptop - needed an excuse - an see what happens!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
04 May 2011 4:52 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Pitby, I'm not sure my current PC can run Windows 7

Old PC

Like 0      
04 May 2011 5:08 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Well....

Am now running IE 9 on WIn 7 SP1 and...

No probs so far with the display... but....

The smiley option defo does not work... it greys out the reply page and then just hangs!

And the same for the insert photo option...

And insert link option!

And then you have to close down the reply without replying!

Edited to say:

Edit function still works!

And also, the site seems really fast... it was always fast... but now... swoosh! Different page.

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 04/05/2011.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
04 May 2011 5:11 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I so hate IE.

Thanks for letting me know.

I think I'll buy a Windows 7 PC tomorrow anyway.  It's been a while!

Justin

Like 0      
04 May 2011 5:58 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Good old IE6 it seems ... I can 'do' smileys!!

Like 0      
04 May 2011 11:26 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Techno - you need to switch to compatibility view (the button towards the right of the address bar)

Mark Twain

Like 0      
12 May 2011 3:42 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Guys, I think this is fixed now. 

Can you confirm if it is ok for you please?

Thanks

Justin

Like 0      
12 May 2011 5:50 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Hate to tell you Justin - no change here at all. Have to use compatibility view or else everthing freezes the moment you try adding a smiley or photo; and in comp. view, the same things are still squiffy if you know what I mean. Oh, and the left hand column ads are still below all the other page content. Sorry.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
12 May 2011 5:59 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

12 May 2011 6:40 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

OK, I think I may have fixed it.

How is it now??

Justin

Like 0      
13 May 2011 6:30 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Sorry, no change.

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

moving where? - 2 posts
House or Apartment required near Malaga Airport - 4 posts
Fire safety in appartments - 0 posts
Iceland is in Vera - 5 posts
Banks - 1 posts
Picture format in HD - 3 posts
Router problem - 3 posts
Had enough now! - 17 posts
Student finance support UK - 0 posts
Those affected by Instant Acess Properties - 0 posts
Osama Bin Laden killed in Pakistan! - 4 posts
Auberge, Benijofar - 10 posts
WANTED: Seville centre(ish) appartment - Sept 2011 to June 2012 - 2 posts
Help! Bees Nest!!!! - 7 posts
Long Term Rental - Quesada - Los Montesinos - El Raso - 2 posts
Borrador - 6 posts
Over three and a half hours of The Royal Wedding, enjoy! - 0 posts
QUESTION RE SPANISH HEALTH SYSTEM - 3 posts
cd player for car needed. murcia/mazarron area. - 0 posts
It isn't just the British - 2 posts
UK couple living near Estepona Looking for friends - 0 posts
Reach the World - 0 posts
Long term rental wanted , Villa country house East of Estapona - 0 posts
Looking to rent house - 0 posts
Petition: An Open Letter to David Lidington, Minister for Europe - 66 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 39

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x