Ref Roger Helmer's message

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Apr 2011 12:00 AM by El Alamillo Star rating in Nottingham & El Alam.... 221 posts Send private message

Roger Helmer MEP said.

A word of advice to anyone thinking of buying a property in Spain: don’t.  And never, never, never buy off-plan (that is, a property not yet built).  Don’t put down a deposit.  Don’t even think about it.

I purchased my property off-plan some 10 years ago. What did I do so right at the time.

Good solicitor, Good building company at the time, Built on time. Habitation certificate and Escritura on time. All utilities connected. IBI paid and non resident taxes paid on time. car purchased documentation at traffico no problem. I fly Ryan Air 10 times a year

It is a 3 double bedroom house with Pool and Garage. Also has stunning views over the Mediterranean

Yes! I did receive a fine for contravening building regulations when the garage was built. It went back to the solicitor to sort it. He not only sorted it but got my fine reduced.

Reading Roger Helmer's  letter. Have I got problems to come.

All these stories have been going on for years even before I followed my Spanish dream.

I have seen heartache following denuncia. In most cases bought on by owners pushing that bit extra out of permission.

I saw one owner who had dug out his to low under build to turn it into an extra room. Only to see his property crack and all but fall down. He then blamed the builder.

The whole truth is not always seen.

Their are a lot of Happy people who share their life between UK & Spain. Yes a lot of change over the past 10 years.

I for one am in it for the long term

This man ain't for turning.

JB.

Like 0      
21 Apr 2011 1:27 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

El Alamillo

many who have been cheated by the Spanish justice system also did everything right and when things did go wrong won their cases, but in Spain that often doesn't mean justice due to delays and non implementation of law meaning the victim never see's their money won in court. This is where there needs to be change. When you need the justice system, (which anyone can at some stage) it is not the mostly fair system that we take for granted in the UK.

yes, many are happy, but many are not and far to often through no fault of their own. Roger is right to advise extreme caution until changes are made, and the evidence is all their in the petitions if you have any doubt?  Yes, there were fools and greed, and people buying without their brains in gear, but don't let that fool you in to thinking that's always the case. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Like 0      
21 Apr 2011 8:42 AM by CardiffIan Star rating. 30 posts Send private message

I think a lot of those who've had success in off-plan is very much down to timing.  I think 10 years ago it was OK because prices were forever going upwards and there were plenty of buyers around to keep the developers in funds.  The situation is very different now  and many of us who tried to buy off-plan 5 years ago have run into problems because solicitors, developers, banks and agents thought the good times were around forever and they didn't need to bother following the rules.  We have found out to our cost that this failure to follow the rules has brought the off-plan system down because there is no justice system in place to put things right when they go wrong.

Like 0      
21 Apr 2011 9:44 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Cardifflan

yes, the hopeless justice system on top of the lack of regulation is what I think has mainly wrecked Spain's property industry. The irony is that the changes Spain's government refuse to make that would benifit all those cheated would more than likely kick start the industry due to a new found trust in the system. No doubt when prices drop far enough some will snap up bargains at probably a huge loss to the seller, but it could be so much better for everyone if the Spanish government accepted huge mistakes have been made, start to compensate those they have cheated and send a message out  to potential buyers that they intend to start business again, only this time with the common sense regulation, a justice system worth having and the integrity that buyers require as a minimum requirement.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Key Holder - 0 posts
van leaving spain - 0 posts
Urgent need Long Term let Banlmadena - 1 posts
An interview to a Spanish Judge - 0 posts
Trailer wheels. - 0 posts
aportacion obligatoria - 1 posts
Blue & Yellow to trial reserved seating - 0 posts
Fiat Ducato motorhome - 3 posts
What is going on with the weather....... - 24 posts
Nuclear Incident at Valencia? - 2 posts
NIE Change of address - 11 posts
Sickness pay - 0 posts
funding for university - 1 posts
Installing Ceiling Fans - suspended platerboard ceiling - 4 posts
SPANISH GOVERNMENT PROPERTY ROAD SHOW 2011 - 183 posts
taxi fare - 7 posts
Vodafone- You think Telefonica is bad????? - 6 posts
long term rental wanted in camposol,murica - 0 posts
can anyone help or advise me? - 3 posts
Iberdrola problem - 0 posts
administrator - 4 posts
Wishing you all a Happy Easter - 18 posts
Fire Bricks - 2 posts
Moulton bicycle - 0 posts
Generator - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x