Installing Ceiling Fans - suspended platerboard ceiling

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Apr 2011 12:00 AM by fyfin Star rating in Turre Almeria. 54 posts Send private message

fyfin´s avatar

I had 4 ceiling fans sent over to my apartment in Almeria and took my joist detector with me so I could make sure I was fixing them securely. Then shock hooror I discovered that the ceilings are made of something that looks like plasterboard but thicker and are suspended from the reinforced concrete by poles which are stuck or glued in some way.

I asked others who had them already fitted in the apartment block and it seems they are just fitted using butterfly bolts or similar. Here in UK we would never consider doing this but the "plasterboard" is thicker and maybe interlocking but I can't tell without seeing how it is put up. In any case I have now installed 2 of these and there seems to be no problem as they are solidly fixed to the ceiling with no wobble etc.

My question is whether anyone else has come across this problem or does anyone know how these ceilings are fixed to the concrete and is it considered safe to just use these type of buttfly bolts to attach the fans.

Like 0      
19 Apr 2011 7:51 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

The older ceilings are supended by horse-hair dipped in 'yeso' .( a type of plaster which sets like concrete. ) In addition each plaster panel is 'yesoed' to the next & are interlocking. Newer ceilings are suspended by galvanised wire but are still stuck together. It tends not to be done now since the advent of suspended ceilings where the panels are supported by the metal dividing bars. The panels though are still the heavy plaster ones.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
19 Apr 2011 11:55 AM by fyfin Star rating in Turre Almeria. 54 posts Send private message

fyfin´s avatar

Many thanks Gus - That makes sense now and is probably why people feel safe to just attach fans  to the ceiling. My wife will sleep easier knowing that it is unlikely the fan will coem crashing down on here head.!

Like 0      
19 Apr 2011 1:33 PM by mgk Star rating in Penthouse 2. 241 posts Send private message

mgk´s avatar

Personaly I always insert a lenght of  wood [ 2"x 1"] in old money into the ceiling void and fix the fan to it, this ' spreads the load'

www.condadoelectricalservices.com        condadoes@live.co.uk

tel.605 832  795

Like 0      
19 Apr 2011 2:30 PM by fyfin Star rating in Turre Almeria. 54 posts Send private message

fyfin´s avatar

Funnily enough that was my first thought and , in fact, the first one I fitted there was a big enough hole where someone had previously been messing about and I was able to make up a little template of 1/4" ply  x 1.1/2" wide and fit it through the hole so the toggle bolts would rest on the wood and not the " plaster". 

In the other room the hole was much smaller form the electrics so I just decided to use the two toggle bolts and see what happened.

I then realised that using wood may be helpful for fixing e.g. screwing into, but I don't think it would actually spread the load at all as surely the load is spread over the entire ceiling if it is all bonded together.

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback and when I return, hopefully soon, I will confidently fit the other two fans without two much worry. lol

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

SPANISH GOVERNMENT PROPERTY ROAD SHOW 2011 - 183 posts
taxi fare - 7 posts
Vodafone- You think Telefonica is bad????? - 6 posts
long term rental wanted in camposol,murica - 0 posts
can anyone help or advise me? - 3 posts
Iberdrola problem - 0 posts
administrator - 4 posts
Wishing you all a Happy Easter - 18 posts
Fire Bricks - 2 posts
Moulton bicycle - 0 posts
Generator - 1 posts
Non Resaident buying brand new car in Spain - 5 posts
Something to crow about - Thank You! - 8 posts
A Voice for the Voiceless / Sharon's Appeal for Noah's Arc - April/May 2011 - 4 posts
lift maintenance - 1 posts
Club for amateur enterpreneurs - 0 posts
Rent to Rent - 0 posts
2 Rattan Sun Loungers for Sale - 2 posts
Anyone know of a decent electrician? - 11 posts
A little laugh for EVERYONE who has to deal with red tape in Spain - 7 posts
Speed Limit - 4 posts
Spanish Car LeftHD for UK car . Opel Vectra 2003 2.2 Dti - 0 posts
If you like royal weddings you will love this! - 2 posts
Newbie with a question - 5 posts
Ryanair found guilty of discrimination - 16 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x