Newbie with a question

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Apr 2011 12:00 AM by jengle245 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

I'm new to the site. My husband and I would like to move to southern Spain as semi-retirees, but we aren't sure how hard it will be to become legal residents.  We don't have family or jobs there, nor an official pension...just some savings and rental income.  Are there any non-EU citizens who can tell us how difficult it was for them to get a visa?   Or, is it better to "fly under the radar" rather than apply for a visa?  Thanks.

Like 0      
20 Apr 2011 12:59 PM by sneezey Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

sneezey´s avatar

As an EU citizen you don't need any permits to live here. When you are actually in Spain you first need to go to the townhall and register as a resident in the area (this is called Empadronamento), for this you will need your passport and the property deed, if you own a property, or a rental contract if not.

Then you just go to local Police Station in your area with your passport and the Empadronamiento Certificate and they will issue you with  a Certificado de of Residencia.

Don't forget to take photocopies of everything with you as well as the originals. (You only need to copy the two pages in your passport the one with your picture and the opposite page).

It's not too difficult, but if you have any problems you can always get a Lawyer to do it for you.

Good Luck

Like 0      
20 Apr 2011 1:05 PM by ttarrab Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

ttarrab´s avatar

I think the clue to the answer is "non-EU citizens" 

Like 0      
20 Apr 2011 3:03 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

I should also imagine it would depend on which non-EU country you are from.  Some countries have and easier ride with visas than others.  This is advice given to US citizens by their State Department:

The Spanish Government scrutinizes visitors who overstay their visas or their visa-free entry per the Schengen Agreement. Immediate deportation after spending a number of days in jail is not uncommon. You should leave Spain promptly at the end of the 90-day visa-free travel period or at the end of the time stated on your visa.

So, 90 days without a visa but visa requirements after that period.  They also recommend that you have 6 months left on your passport after leaving Spain although 90 days is the legal requirement.

These rules apply to most non-EU countries under the Schengen agreement.

If you go to this site and enter the country you are from and the country you are resident in, it gives the requirements for visas.  

Like 0      
20 Apr 2011 3:20 PM by sneezey Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

sneezey´s avatar

Deeeeerrrrrr!!! Didn't notice thatuntil after I'd posted it!!!

!

Like 0      
20 Apr 2011 4:32 PM by jengle245 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Thanks for the advice.  We are U.S. citizens, and we know the process for applying for a retirement visa in Spain, but we don't know how likely it is to actually get a visa application approved.  Any stories or ideas about how to find out this type information?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Ryanair found guilty of discrimination - 16 posts
The power of words ... - 5 posts
How can I add my 15 yr old granddaughter to my flight? - 2 posts
It's a Dog's Life But Why Spoil it For Others? - 7 posts
MONEY SAVING TIPS - 1 posts
Paddle tennis court - 0 posts
wanted - 3 month rental in valencia - 0 posts
I am doing a project about the cost of living in Spain compared to the cost of living in the UK and I would like to know what you think. Is it more expensive here or in the UK, and whats negative about Spain for Brits. - 31 posts
bmibaby pulls out of Cardiff - 4 posts
Vistalmar Duquesa Sur - 2 posts
dishwasher/washing machine repairs - 2 posts
swap rhd audi avant diesel 2002 for spanish reg car - 1 posts
INSS Fuengirola - 3 posts
Need swimming pool repairer please - 0 posts
I cant beleive owners allowed to mis represent their properties for renting - 1 posts
Well Done RYANAIR - 32 posts
Lost the " Inspeccion Tecnica de Vehiculos " - 6 posts
Is it easier to get visa after 1 year of living in Spain illegally? - 1 posts
Hello!I'm newbie here. - 0 posts
Capital Gains Tax from sale of property - 4 posts
It is easy to LEAVE BT in Spain - 0 posts
La Gardenia service and travel - 2 posts
Looking for a cleaner in Altea Hills area - 0 posts
SIP Card Access to the Spanish Healthcare? - 9 posts
Polaris old building - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x