Problem with BBC News via internet

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Mar 2011 12:00 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Quickie...

Is anyone having problems with bbc.co.uk?

Keep getting error message

'Firefox can't find the server at news.bbc.co.uk'

Not just firefox but IE as well...

Been happening for a few days now, sometimes it will sometimes it wont....

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
26 Mar 2011 9:05 AM by peteha Star rating. 110 posts Send private message

Hi

Ive had the same problem on and off over the last week or so.

Like 0      
26 Mar 2011 12:51 PM by Comanche Star rating in Islas Canarias. 13 posts Send private message

Think the site got spammed about the same time as the problems in Japan.

doesnt load 9 times out of 10

C

Like 0      
26 Mar 2011 4:51 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Thanks for that!

Looks like I'll have to use Yahoo News for a while!

fb

Like 0      
28 Mar 2011 10:51 PM by observer Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Dear Fellow BBC problem sufferers,

I just don't get this...it seems to only be Spain.  Have contacted friends in lots of other countries, and no problems. 

Also, I only have problems on my home PC--cannot get BBC for love or money with Firefox, Google Chrome, Explorer, anything.  I have no problem at my office.

I have tried everything I can think of (but I am not a super high techie type)--reloading search engines, ensuring all add ons up to date, ensuring SSLs activiated, etc.  Am experiencing absolutely no problem with ANY other website.   Have been following BBC for years via internet, and have never had a similar problem.

Honestly, this is going to drive me around the bend.

Can anyone suggest anything else to try?  Many thanks.

Like 0      
28 Mar 2011 11:37 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Have to say that I haven't had a problem accessing BBC news, either on PC via Firefox or Safari or on iPad via browser or the BBC news app. Strange.

Like 0      
29 Mar 2011 12:17 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

For those of us who are affected, it seems to be any browser.

On the odd occasion when it does open its a corrupted HTML version. Its not just the news site either its anything to do with bbc.co.uk.

Strangely enough I'm having the same problem with rac.co.uk. (Not that I'm trying to contact them it just happened to be called up as a link on another forum.

Curiouser and curiouser...as Alice might say.

So...Pitby... are you using Telefonica?

Is it a Telefonica thing or a bbc server issue I wonder?

Heres another strange thing; if you put the full web address into google translate, (Translate from Spanish to English), click on the highlighted translation, it will load the BBC Mobile home page... but trying to then go forward to any pages brings up a 404 error...

As I understand it, Google Translate acts as a proxy IP, which seems to suggest that some Spanish IP addys are being deliberately blocked. Almost as if the whole of the bbc site has been put on restricted access...like bbc iplayer....Tin foil hat time....

fb

Like 0      
29 Mar 2011 12:28 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
fb, I am using a vodafone USB modem (on a wifi base unit) and don't have a problem accessing from my pc or iPad - pc is an iMac. I also have the BBC news app on my iPhone, which is contracted to Movistar/telefónica, and no problem there either. So accessing through both vodafone and telefónica with no problem.

Is it a Windows problem with the BBC server?
Just tried the rac.co.uk site out of curiosity and no problem there either!! Even stranger .....

This message was last edited by Pitby on 29/03/2011.

Like 0      
29 Mar 2011 12:50 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

I managed to finally open a contact us page for notifying website problems at the bbc so Ive put the problem to them.

Seems very strange...

Like 0      
29 Mar 2011 11:46 AM by amep75 Star rating. 79 posts Send private message

bbc web site not worked for over a week now so i just use sky news but then who cares about the uk anyway

Like 0      
29 Mar 2011 7:12 PM by mattresscleaning Star rating in FUENGIROLA. 106 posts Send private message

for any sites that won´t let you view due to an IP address listed outside of the uk try the following site

daveproxy . co . uk

I use it regularly to watch iPlayer etc

Hope this helps

Like 0      
30 Mar 2011 5:33 PM by peteha Star rating. 110 posts Send private message

The BBC has just released a statement about its website

see link below.

It may explain some of the problems

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12904586

Like 0      
30 Mar 2011 6:20 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

So they finally acknowledge they had a problem! To say it failed for just one hour though is a bit of an understatement!

Its been more off than on since March 22nd!

The news site still isnt right (for me anyway) the normal url leads to BBC mobile...!

Ah well, better than nowt I suppose.

fb

Like 0      
30 Mar 2011 10:54 PM by observer Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

I saw the announcement about the crash for an hour yesterday...and honestly don't think it is related to the problem that people on this thread have been discussing.

My homepage is bbc, and I do note that tonight, instead of getting the page that I have gotten for a week, stating they cannot find server, I at least got a text version of the mobile page.  I can only hope that will begin to improve step by step.

Have not yet  had a chance to check out the solution proposed by mattresscleaner...but will do so soon.  If it turns out to be a great miracle cure, will send news of the success.

Cheers!

Like 0      
30 Mar 2011 11:35 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
To reiterate, I personally haven't had a problem at all accessing the BBC website from numerous devices. I don't think this has anything to do with the IP address.

Like 0      
01 Apr 2011 8:15 PM by observer Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

BBC sites have returned (by magic--not because of anything clever that I have done) to my computer. 

Hope the same has occured for all others who experienced this problem. 

With my computer, it was a "phased" return.  First I started getting a text only version of webpage, then text version with some photos, as of tonight I have the whole webpage.

I am very relieved--get bery cranky when I cannot access the Beeb!

Good weekend to all.

Like 0      
01 Apr 2011 9:27 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

All seems ok here now too...

I haven't had a response to my email to the BBC but I'm not really surprised.

Got Radio 1 back too...mixed blessing!

fb

Like 0      
02 Apr 2011 11:53 AM by sachamorris Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

I still can't get the BBC news site.  I'm using Safari on a Mac, and I've tried with Opera as well. It still says that Safari can't find the server

Like 0      
25 Apr 2011 8:13 AM by redfava Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I have not been able to access the BBC News website since the site outage last month. For some reason the site loads in Windows XP but not on my Mac regardless of whether I use Safari or Firefox. My service provider is Telefonica.

I contacted the BBC and they replied that its a problem with Telefonica and they're working with them to solve the problem. That was two weeks ago.

I found a work around today. I changed the DNS server name on my Mac to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 and it works - finally! (I would've put the link to the site with the solution and explication, but I'm not allowed to - sigh!)

Make this change by preferences> network> advanced> DNS. Click the plus button at the bottom of the left pane and type in the new numbers. The original numbers will disapear.

What this does is swap Telefonica's DNS server to OpenDNS which, judging by posts on the web, is very reliable.

IMPORTANT: Before you make the change, note down your existing DNS server name, just in case you have to revert.

This message was last edited by redfava on 25/04/2011.

Like 0      
25 Apr 2011 9:47 AM by sachamorris Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thank you for that Redfava.  I'm in the UK at the moment, where the site is working fine, but I'll give your solution a go when I come back.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Clocks go forward this weekend.... - 2 posts
Dell netbook 120 euro´s ONO - 3 posts
Counting Our Blessings! - 9 posts
Just one small problem! - 1 posts
What to do! - 5 posts
Still happy you bet I am - 6 posts
Palmera Properties - 59 posts
HOW TO STOP CATS DOING THEIR BUSINESS IN YOUR GARDEN - 13 posts
Inland Minimarket for sale - 0 posts
Negative Equity & Repossesion - 0 posts
Endesa Price List - 0 posts
help with the car hire - 2 posts
Court Summons - Cedula de Citacion - 4 posts
Renfe website Trenhotel to Paris - 7 posts
San Roque golf club nr Sotogrande Spain - 0 posts
Francis Loves Spain - 0 posts
Any Vespa/scooter riders in Spain? help - 1 posts
marbella LFO - 9 posts
New terminal at Alicante airport - 15 posts
sky tv -freeview-los alcazares-one off payment? - 1 posts
Jeep cherokee for sale... - 1 posts
Trains from Madrid to London - 3 posts
Serious problem with escritura and land registry - 1 posts
Do we need an architect to get our LFO? - 15 posts
Medical help Spain - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 22

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x