Counting Our Blessings!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Mar 2011 12:00 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

I have just had an e-mail from a Latvian friend; a Spanish resident but visiting family. She tells me it has been a sad day for her family. Today was the anniversary of her mother being transported with hundreds of thousands of others to the Siberian gulag. She was five-years old at the time. She eventually made it back and spent the rest of her life as a nurse.

Today the family went to Riga’s Liberty Monument to lay their flowers for the loss of so many, and to give thanks to the survivors.

And they have the damned impudence to celebrate VE Day. There are eleven European country-neighbours whose war didn’t end until 1990; forty-five years later.

Whenever I see Churchill at Yalta, grossly obese, puffing away on his Havana, with his notorious love of alcohol, I cringe for humanity. Lest we forget! Yes, the victors do write the history books.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
25 Mar 2011 10:14 PM by Hammer100 Star rating in Camposol, Mazarron. 94 posts Send private message

Hammer100´s avatar

"Whenever I see Churchill at Yalta, grossly obese, puffing away on his Havana, with his notorious love of alcohol, I cringe for humanity"

Why?

Do you think it was Churchill that let Stalin keep the East?

Dedicated Property Management - Mazarron http://www.mspvillaservices.com

Like 0      
25 Mar 2011 10:34 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Of course; the spoils of war. That was the agreement at Yalta, Potsdam and elsewhere. So called reparations; booty. Churchill rubber stamped the lot. He later said, 'We killed the wrong pig'. A bit bloody late then. I think that was 1949.

Hitler in 1944 offered to surrender in the west if eastern Europe could be ring-fenced to keep Stalin's Red Army out of Europe. They didn't even bother to reply to him. Think of the lives that were lost as a consequence. Many many millions. '

"Four million Germans (in Prussia). Stalin will see to them." (Stalin did precisely that). - Winston Churchill.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

Like 0      
25 Mar 2011 11:21 PM by Hammer100 Star rating in Camposol, Mazarron. 94 posts Send private message

Hammer100´s avatar

Funny I thought that Churchill warned the Amercians prior to Stalin arriving in Poland that he was going to install a puppet government and basically turn the country into a satellite state. Also Stalin was ready to take Denmark but it was Churchill that put a stop to that by getting Allied troops in the country first.

Hitler surrending to the West? Would be interested to read about that as not seen anything myself  and had read wuite a few but not where Hitler himself offers to surrender. Even if he had then what? The German Army was not in a position to push the Reds back and in the end would have been overwhelmed, so should the Allies have joined forces with Nazi Germany and pushed back the Reds? The war would have gone on for a lot longer and many Allied lives would have been lost and then what would we have done, left one mass murderer and joined with another.

Sure my Grandad and many others that were fighting at the time would have loved that.

Like 0      
25 Mar 2011 11:41 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

All you have to do is study Potsdam and Yalta Conferences. It interests me that people are very sophisticated today. You have only to read forums, the media, online and hard copy to see that 90 percent are sceptical about their government's war aims. Everyone knows politicians (and the mainstream media) lie to their back teeth. Switch on BBC now and see for yourself if you don't believe me. Go on! 

But the oddity is so many think that WW2 was unique; it was the only war in which, bless them, their leaders and media were interested only in the restoration of democracy - when it had, as even the blind can see, the exact opposite effect. They believe that their leaders had only the highest of motives and would never tell a lie; perish the thought. As my mother used to say; 'Now't so queer as folk.'

This message was last edited by mike_walsh on 26/03/2011.

Like 0      
26 Mar 2011 12:25 AM by Hammer100 Star rating in Camposol, Mazarron. 94 posts Send private message

Hammer100´s avatar

" Switch on BBC now"

Ah thats one thing i could never do. Once it became the Blair Broadcasting Co I gave up on them..

Just out a matter of interest then, as Stalin was such a monster and there is no denying that and the fact that what he did to people under his control seems a personal thing to you , do you think that we should have gone to war against him? I mean even without WW2 do you think Stalin was going to just sit there without expanding his domain?

Like 0      
26 Mar 2011 12:42 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

You cringe for humanity when you see Churchill?  So who was your hero, then, Stalin?  Probably.  

Sorry, but your attitude sickens me.  I wasn't, obviously, old enough to be in that war.  My father still tells me that Churchill was not all history has cracked him up to be but he was a figurehead, someone who brought the British people together and gave them hope even if it was all an act.  Of course Churchill had his faults but he passionately believed in Britain which is something you obviously don't and I can only feel Britain is far better off without people like you.  It probably gave you a living, the means to move to Spain and pay for your property, rented or not.  You take great delight in denigrating it at every opportunity and this last post is just another stupid way to try and score points against it.  You mentioned your friends in one of the old Soviet republics.  Please, do us all a favour and move there.  

I really, really get annoyed at people who come on these sites and spout garbage and bile against the country that gave them a good start.  I do not want live in UK but I will never go so far as to say I hate the place.  It is a fine country and the majority of people are good, hard working and decent people.  The minority get the most attention due to the bottom-feeding journalists that pervade the place and run it down at every opportunity, like that idiot Littlejohn who actually lives in Florida yet pontificates on the state of UK.  A little bit like Mr Walsh who lives in Spain but thinks we all want to hear his opinionated rubbish about the place.

Sorry, but if it wasn't for people like Mr Churchill and, yes, even Mrs Thatcher who fought hard against the threat posed by the Soviet Union, you probably wouldn't have the freedom to spout your views which are, hopefully, abhorrent to right thinking people everywhere.  

Like 0      
26 Mar 2011 8:01 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

So much for good old British tolerance and the free flow of information then! Er! I am an Irish national: I do not hold a British passport. My father fought for the Republic of Spain, and lost some of his closest friends here.

As a European and a national of a FULL member state of the European Union I probably have a great deal more right to live here than do little Englanders who think the workhouse, for all its faults and continual state of war, the epitome of Nirvana. Ignorance sure is bliss. Have a good day, sir! Mind how you go.  

Like 0      
26 Mar 2011 10:17 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Irish.  So you decide to use a website which is, believe it or not but the title might give you a clue, about Spain in order to decry the UK in general and the English in particular.  Should I go onto an expats in Cyprus website and start bitching about the Irish then I would, no doubt, be thought a tad eccentric to say the least.

This may be akin to sticking my fingers in my ears and going nah, nah, nah but I feel your bigoted and slanted posts add nothing to the raison d'etre of this site and I shall, therefore, totally ignore them in future.  I feel that you should, however, stand for election as a Member of Parliament (whichever country you choose).  You have already told us you were a journalist and an estate agent.  By becoming an MP you could ensure your CV lists the top three morally bankrupt professions.

Like 0      
26 Mar 2011 2:08 PM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

Any forum will restrict free speech on grounds of swearing; some will have other rules.  But you now want to add censorship on the basis of views deemed offensive by babaol.  Get over it!  It's a grown up world.  You won't agree with all the views expressed here or elsewhere.   Either post a contradiction or just ignore it.  Or stick your tongue out and go nah nah nah nah if you're not adult enough for the other alternatives.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Just one small problem! - 1 posts
What to do! - 5 posts
Still happy you bet I am - 6 posts
Palmera Properties - 59 posts
HOW TO STOP CATS DOING THEIR BUSINESS IN YOUR GARDEN - 13 posts
Inland Minimarket for sale - 0 posts
Negative Equity & Repossesion - 0 posts
Endesa Price List - 0 posts
help with the car hire - 2 posts
Court Summons - Cedula de Citacion - 4 posts
Renfe website Trenhotel to Paris - 7 posts
San Roque golf club nr Sotogrande Spain - 0 posts
Francis Loves Spain - 0 posts
Any Vespa/scooter riders in Spain? help - 1 posts
marbella LFO - 9 posts
New terminal at Alicante airport - 15 posts
sky tv -freeview-los alcazares-one off payment? - 1 posts
Jeep cherokee for sale... - 1 posts
Trains from Madrid to London - 3 posts
Serious problem with escritura and land registry - 1 posts
Do we need an architect to get our LFO? - 15 posts
Medical help Spain - 2 posts
Pre paid Mastercard? - 11 posts
Thai China Calahonda - 3 posts
Long Term Airport Car parking - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x