Anyone been to Melilla?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Mar 2011 12:00 AM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

Hi! Next week we are taking a Ryanair cheapie from Madrid to Nador - and have booked a hotel in Melilla - Parador @ 75 euros a night double incl breakfast, which seemed a good buy. We can't find any reliable information on how to get from Nador to Melilla. Has anyone done this? Are there any "must see" in either Nador or Melilla? Any info gratefully received.

Like 0      
22 Mar 2011 9:25 AM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

this may give some info enjoy your trip  http://www.travbuddy.com/Melilla-travel-guide-1314678

Fred

Overseas Property Company

fred@overseaspropertycompany.com

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      
22 Mar 2011 5:22 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

That's kind of you fpegman, thanks for going to the trouble, there was some useful info there. Meanwhile, if there is anyone who has done the journey Nador Airport to Melilla frontier I'd like to get an idea of price by Morrocan "grand taxi" (a taxi they cram as many people into as they can). It looks like it's about 20 km. Any further help appreciated.

Like 0      
22 Mar 2011 6:55 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

quote...It looks like it's about 20 km... Err....its a bit more than that!

Nador Airport is located some 30 km from Nador at a place called El Arouit. From Nador to Melilla is about 15kms.

Airport Google Earth  Location; 34 59 22.84N 3 01 31.84W

See this wiki link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nador_International_Airport

Cant find any info relating to taxi prices but given that taxis are the only form of public transport from the airport I guess you dont have a lot of choice!

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
22 Mar 2011 9:42 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

I know, it's very fustrating, can't find any good up to date info. I know Moroccans, and they'll want 300 euros for the trip and you argue and shout etc and eventually settle for what you think is reasonable...it would have nice to avoid all the argy bargy and read something like "for two of us in a shared taxi to the border cost 30 euros".  I suppose I shall have to report back with my trailblazing info. I see the flights from Madrid are still nearly free. Melilla is duty & VAT free so the shopping is supposed to be good value. If you google the map for Nador it looks like there is a fabuklous lagoon which is one of the best wetlands in the world. It certainly looks like a worthwhile cheap visit.

Like 0      
23 Mar 2011 11:40 AM by PeterInSpain Star rating in Marbella, Spain. 39 posts Send private message

Good luck Guy - sounds fascinating, I always wonderd what Ceuta/Melilla were like and look forward to your update.....sorry this post isn't much help by the way!!!

Cheers Peter

Like 0      
10 Apr 2011 6:28 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

Well, the 40 km Moroccan taxi ride from Nador Airport to Melilla frontier cost 17 Euros total  for four of us in an old Merc. It was fine. Then one walks throught the frontier and a 5 euro Spanish taxi takes you the 3 km to whatever hotel you're staying at. The trip back was more expensive in reverse (25 Euros) as there were no flights arriving at the airport for 2 hours so the taxi would have to hang about for a fare.

Meililla very interesting.  Beautiful beach. The biggest collection of art deco buildings outside Barcelona (over 900). Medieval castle on waterfront. Hotels OK. Fish/seafood great. They say the south shore of the Med has better fish as it's far less fished. Lots and lots of Guardia Civil and Army as it is a friction point with Moroccans wanting to get into EU.

Sadly, it's on the skids. Obviously the Spanish have sold out  - or are in the process of selling out, and left for Spain. So the bars & restaurants are now Moroccan owned...the bars being patronised mostly by unemployed Moroccan teenage boys drinking soft drinks. In twenty years time it will be unrecognisable as Spanish. It's very shabby, obviously the economy is suffering like everywhere else in Spain, but you get the feeling that Spanish businesses are unlikely to invest there.

Great for 2 days. Our 5 days was a bit too long. Maybe easiest is to visit by ferry from Almeria or Malaga. Ferries were arriving all the time. Great little harbour.

Like 0      
11 Apr 2011 9:22 AM by David W Star rating. 199 posts Send private message

David W´s avatar

We went by ferry from Almeria

Its a 6hour crossing and was about £65 each, we were there 48hrs

Enjoyed it but box ticked

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

golf society nr playa flamence/la florida - 3 posts
Property to rent in Residencial el Hipodromo - 0 posts
Looking for Rental Property in Residencial el Hipodromo - 0 posts
Something to look foward to! - 23 posts
kadoodey - 2 posts
ALHAMBRA GRANADA SATVAV ENTRY IN TOMTOM - 6 posts
Hello, hola. New to EOS. - 3 posts
Hello. - 8 posts
furniture and lighting suppliers costa blanca - 6 posts
Literally lost the thread ! - 5 posts
contract required - 5 posts
Metal Hand rail - 0 posts
air strikes - 3 posts
Good body shop, costa del sol? - 4 posts
Community insurance - 1 posts
I Have a 7.5ton Van Returning From Alicante, Spain On 03rd April - 1 posts
Number of Vice Presidents? - 2 posts
confused about freeview, freesat, hd etc - 9 posts
Still Impressed by the Spanish Health System? - 24 posts
part exchange property - 1 posts
Tax on El Hacho area - 3 posts
Airport Transfer legalities?? - 22 posts
SKY/Freesat & Broadband - 2 posts
Legal lookie lookie men? - 6 posts
Blogs - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x