The Weather! Has the Cat got your Tongues?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Mar 2011 12:00 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

I can't get over the current poor weather spell; I swear that it is probably more pleasant in the United Kingdom right now. It is freezing cold here in Torrevieja (well 13c actually). It is dreadfully overcast; the skies are battleship grey. Low cloud and threatening heavy rain. Think a lousy Monday in Ramsbottom and you have it in one.

Yet there's no one commenting. You are a hardy lot aren't you? Stiff upper lip? I have been commuting here for 12 years; living here nearly four and I don't remember weather so persistently uninspiring. It is tough on those flying in for a little warmth and sunshine. What is it like where you are? North of Madrid they were snowbound a day or so ago and Athens is suffering blizzards. It is a topsy-turvy weather world. Better here by the weekend I believe (and hope).

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 5:52 PM by Joe1949 Star rating in Manchester. 61 posts Send private message

I was in Murcia on a 6 week break but came home last week when I spotted a reasonable flight two weeks ahead of plan.

Since then I've mowed the lawn,cleaned the windows,done a lot of spring cleaning and played golf on  nice springlike days..

Spain in March is now off my agenda..Take the weather away and Spain has nothing to offer..

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 7:08 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Been allright here until monday p.m. just got cloud now & a strong wind. prior to that it's been sunny & warm most days & I even managed to get a touch of heatstroke last week plastering a wall when I failed to realise my head was in the sun all the time !

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 9:20 PM by Comadreja Star rating in the Sierra de Cadiz. 51 posts Send private message

Comadreja´s avatar

Last winter in western Andalucia  it started raining just before Christmas and went on more or less continuously till the end of March.  We had dreadful floods and landslips, with roads being completely washed away.

This year has been much, much better!  Yes, there have been some cold and wet spells, but some wonderful warm spells too.

Mind you it was a bit strange yesterday leaving Wales in brilliant sunshine and arriving back to a cold, wet Spain.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 9:23 PM by Comadreja Star rating in the Sierra de Cadiz. 51 posts Send private message

Comadreja´s avatar

QUOTE: "Take the weather away and Spain has nothing to offer.."

What ???? 

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 10:47 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Mike, last year it rained every day non-stop for three months.  Just a week of heavy rain now is quite ok with me

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 10:50 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Huh! I might revise my relocation plans   .....   not a lot know this but the Blanca (statistically) is warmer than the Sol by an average of 2c. Almeria, so I am led to believe, is officially the sunniest part of Europe.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

Like 0      
10 Mar 2011 1:53 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Umm!

Mike_walsh!

No! Whoever lead you to believe that is wrong... check the stats!

Seville in Andalucia has been nicknamed the"frying pan of Europe" for a very good reason. It is without doubt the sunniest spot in Spain, with an average of 2,928 hours of sun each year.

As for the weather this year thus far.... I've already got a serious tan from such a fabulous start to the year, and am glad to see some rain (I mean some!) as the garden needed it (unlike last year... extremely wet... but not normal by any means)

You can't knock 23 degrees celsius for a Saturday afternoon in Jerez during February (12th Feb - Circuito de Jerez).

What's a couple of weeks bad weather..... hmmm... 19 degrees celsius and raining... doesn't sound that bad to me!

PS. Same day (12th Feb) in La Duquesa, Manilva it was 21 degrees celsius.

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 10/03/2011.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
12 Mar 2011 9:27 PM by JazII Star rating in Mar Menor and UK. 133 posts Send private message

JazII´s avatar

The weather in San Pedro del Pinitar has been strange for the last year or so, usually we enjoy around 325 days of sunshine each year but over the last year it seems colder and wetter.  Also we used to hold our AGM (in March) round the pool but in March 2010 and 2011 we held the AGM inside as we could not rely on the weather.

That said this region has so much to offer as does Spain as a whole so even when the weather is bad there is plenty to keep you occupied ;-)

Like 0      
12 Mar 2011 10:10 PM by Poligon Star rating in I live between El Pe.... 4 posts Send private message

I'm in Catalunya in the Burga Valley, a bit further north than a lot of you guys. 

Compared to last winter, which was exceptionally bad, ( we had nearly a metre of snow at one time) this year has been really nice.   Lots of sunshine and very little rain.  Albeit today, it was bucketing down earlier, but it was really needed.

Ok, so you need to put a coat on now and then when working outside, but on the whole there are not too many days that are overcast.  Spring and Autumn are really nice in Spain.

Like 0      
12 Mar 2011 10:17 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

As my Swedish friend never tires of reminding me: 'There is no such thing as bad weather; only bad clothing.' She has a point but I still can't get enthusiastic about heavy snowfalls and sub zero temperatures. Anti-freeze here is a woolie-pullie. I love the simplicity of the hot weather. For years, as a seaman, all we ever wore was shorts and jungle wellies (flip flops). And a big smile of course.

Like 0      
12 Mar 2011 11:08 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

I've been in hot countries (Australia, Cyprus, Salalah, Belize etc) and I've been in cold countries (German winter, Falklands, S Georgia) and all I can say is, give me the hot countries every time.  

Although we had a lovely February in Spain, March (so far) has been a bit of a disappointment.  Never mind, back in UK now and looking forward to June to September in Spain.

Like 0      
13 Mar 2011 11:54 AM by Toddie Star rating in Nr Elche Alicante Hu.... 107 posts Send private message

This winter has been wetter and colder than i can remember for a long time, but the upside is all of our fruit tree's are loaded with blossom,  fruit and nuts, the best ever !!   So looking forward to a bumper crop this year thanks to the rain. 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Property Rentals: I have a Cunning Plan - 5 posts
Baltic States: Flights - 8 posts
Teleast Digital - 12 posts
Moving to Spain with canaries - 1 posts
Not all Doom and Gloom - 6 posts
Food Poisoning - 12 posts
fiat brava for sale - 4 posts
Pancake day! - 4 posts
How to become non-resident in Spain - 3 posts
Wanted Urgent! Mijas Costa - Costa del Sol (beds, oven, washing machine.... etc) - 0 posts
Beware dealing with Lawyer who has Power of Attorney - 0 posts
Cement for sale €1.50 per bag - 1 posts
Model aircraft clubs - 12 posts
Breaking down in Spain - 5 posts
Using A Trailer in Spain - 4 posts
soccerschool Camposol area - 0 posts
Indian Restaurant - 0 posts
Spanish Immersion Language Schools. - 2 posts
RUN YOUR OWN ICE CREAM BUSINESS reduced for quick sale - 0 posts
Resident in Spain? Check your Spanish bank account status! - 3 posts
Driving to murcia - 4 posts
Grupo Aleo - 0 posts
EVERYTHING MUST GO...LEAVING IN 2 WEEKS - 9 posts
A few tricks that real estate agents use - 23 posts
English speaking Vet in Madrid? - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x