Baltic States: Flights

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Mar 2011 12:00 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

I am sure it is easier, and cheaper, to fly to the Americas from Spain than it is to EU member states; Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. A total population of nearly 7 million yet they are Spain isolated. I am no expert in air travel analysis but as far as I can see there is only Madrid serving that region. Madrid airport is best avoided. The cheapest direct flight Baltic Air (sharp intake of breath) €1,000 return.

The budget airlines connect with about eight British and mainland European airports but the shortest stop over I could find was 6.5 hours; I think all were overnight gaps and so badly synchronised that a night hotel wasn't practical. I am far too wise to sleep on airport floors.

I am sure this is an own goal by the airlines and Baltic tourist authorities. Besides, these three Baltic states are doorways for tens of millions of prosperous Russian nationals. When will the penny drop?

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 5:35 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

If O'Sleazy hasn't jumped at the opportunity, it probably doesn't exist. But I'm intrigued now, so I'll waste some time trying to find a cheap and covenient route - not that I doubt you, Mike, but I like a challenge! In the meantime, here's some light entertainment:

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 5:50 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

I love Madrid airport. I use it several times a month. Park my car at no cost on the street in Barajas. 2 euro subway fare gets you to airport from anywhere in Madrid (except far south). If you do have to park to collect someone it costs something like 65 cents for an hour. And you can park practically next to check in. You want to talk about an airport best avoided, then talk about LHR.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 5:51 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

OK, Mike, I'll drive up and park at your place if you pay the taxi to Alicante and the flights. Next month OK with you? Pack toothbrush, change of undies and beer tokens only. Horrible flight times, but you can't have everything, at least not at this price!

As for the wealthy Ruskies you mention, I'm quite sure the charter tour operators are tapping into the potential market there. 

Mark Twain

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 6:43 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

I love it, and you, Roberto, where the heck did you find that? I seem quite dumb but I did say I was no good at flight analysis. You are a star; who is the operator? Ryanair? If he reads what I have been writing about him, Mr O'Leary will lose my bags for me

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 7:09 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Sorry, yes, that's Ryanair. Of course, I've no idea where Kaunas is, and more the the point, how far "Kaunas" airport is actually from Kaunas. But look at this way, we'll be helping the local economy when we pay three times the cost of the flights to get to our overpriced hotel. But it'll be "fun", right?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 7:27 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

You got me started......

Maybe Murcia is easier for you? Same deal, I'll come to you, this time it'll cost you a night at the Premier Inn or similar at Luton on the way out and on the way back as well, but I'll shout you a couple of good curries!

Always fancied seeing Tallinn!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 8:00 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

You're an asset to this forum aren't you   ...   and to me; also the girl who is already dreaming of float-running with outstretched arms across the airport tarmac to see me (and my plastic) on arrival. I assure you that the first thing we will do is raise a glass in your honour and with a hearty 'Kalashnikov' salutation we will toast your health.

Yes, they are interesting countries are the Baltic nations. One hell of a history and God forbid any nations should suffer what they did at the hands of the Soviet Union. Kaunas by the way (I checked) is in neighbouring Lithuania. Each are about the size of Wales - but hopefully friendlier   :o)

Here's some nice singing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baaX4-1_df0

Like 0      
09 Mar 2011 8:12 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I think you'll find they won't all be allowed on stage at the Eurovision - still, better than Jedward.

Yes, interesting places. I've just finished reading Anne Applebaum's Gulag - a must read if you're interested in that part of Soviet history.

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Teleast Digital - 12 posts
Moving to Spain with canaries - 1 posts
Not all Doom and Gloom - 6 posts
Food Poisoning - 12 posts
fiat brava for sale - 4 posts
Pancake day! - 4 posts
How to become non-resident in Spain - 3 posts
Wanted Urgent! Mijas Costa - Costa del Sol (beds, oven, washing machine.... etc) - 0 posts
Beware dealing with Lawyer who has Power of Attorney - 0 posts
Cement for sale €1.50 per bag - 1 posts
Model aircraft clubs - 12 posts
Breaking down in Spain - 5 posts
Using A Trailer in Spain - 4 posts
soccerschool Camposol area - 0 posts
Indian Restaurant - 0 posts
Spanish Immersion Language Schools. - 2 posts
RUN YOUR OWN ICE CREAM BUSINESS reduced for quick sale - 0 posts
Resident in Spain? Check your Spanish bank account status! - 3 posts
Driving to murcia - 4 posts
Grupo Aleo - 0 posts
EVERYTHING MUST GO...LEAVING IN 2 WEEKS - 9 posts
A few tricks that real estate agents use - 23 posts
English speaking Vet in Madrid? - 1 posts
Get your telescopes out in Spain... 2011 EY11 - 8 posts
Markets and Money - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x