South or North?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Mar 2011 12:00 AM by lidenalex Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

I am about to buy a property in southern Spain. Some properties have soth orientation while others are facing north. Which is better? Thanks Alex

This message was last edited by lidenalex on 06/03/2011.

Like 0      
06 Mar 2011 3:09 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 689 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi Alex - it really depends on what you want.  Houses in Spain are generally designed to keep cool, not warm, and a north-facing property can be very cold in winter.  However, in the summer the north facing property will be much more comfortable, as the sun will not shine directly on the front of the property.

I have a north facing property and really miss being able to sit on a sunny terrace in the winter months, I am all wrapped up and my neighbours are sunbathing!!  But I also do not need to put on my air con all summer to stay cool.   As the summer is a lot longer than the winter then I probably benefit, but if I was buying again then I would go for south - west facing.

Hope that helps!

Like 0      
06 Mar 2011 3:15 PM by JIMMYSMITH Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

For me its got to be the North, Green tree`s and water, skiing

Like 0      
06 Mar 2011 7:17 PM by John Wolfendale Star rating in Granada. 53 posts Send private message

There isnt a straight answer to this.

The fact is you need to take a holistic approach. Is there shading for example - either from the local topography or trees or incorporated into the design, pergolas and so on or decent flexible shutters?

Whats is the internal layout like? Are the living areas and bedroom south or the kitchen and utility room?

How are you going to use the house? Are you a night owl or an early riser?.....sunset or sunrise? How will you use it at different times of the year? Some friends of ours cant use their living room in the summer in the afternoon because the sun comes pounding in. The architect apparently gave no thought to orientation or shading. And its not just their house - its a whole row of 30 odd villas all the same!

Is there any insulation to speak of or high tech windows that might mitigate the extremes of summer or winter?

Is the building airtight?

What are your heating and cooling systems like?

All these factors and more will affect the impact of the sun or otherwise on your property.

Good luck!

Like 0      
06 Mar 2011 7:41 PM by lidenalex Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

The townhouse I am considering buying is oriented South West and has balconies and terraces only in that, and no other directions. I am planning to be there mainly from september to May, and I will be in Sweden during June to August. But still I am worried that it will be to hot. On the other hand there is another townhouse for sale in the same community facing north east, and that seems to be to cold during winter months. That's my dilemma.

Like 0      
06 Mar 2011 7:54 PM by John Wolfendale Star rating in Granada. 53 posts Send private message

Sweden has had a different approach to construction to Spain which has been quite marked over the modern construction era of the last 40 years or so. There are many possible reasons for this.

Anyway - if you want a comfortable home (warm in winter cool in summer) without burning money and fossil fuels then you are probably going to have to build one. This can be easier than you think and there are plenty of other advantages.

Like 0      
06 Mar 2011 8:12 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 689 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

My advice is to go for the south-west if you are going to use it mainly for the winter months.  It will only be June / July / August when the heat will be a real problem.

The north one will be very cold in the winter months unless you are willing to pay a lot for heating.

Like 0      
06 Mar 2011 9:00 PM by John Wolfendale Star rating in Granada. 53 posts Send private message

yes - I think that is good advice from Claire

Like 0      
06 Mar 2011 9:25 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Have to agree with Claire and John on this.

Our terraced townhouse is North facing and trying to keep it warm during the winter is a real pain!

Needless to say we bought it at the height of Summer, little realising just how damn cold it can get half way up an alp in winter!

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

What's happened to Darren James? - 2 posts
Easter Flights Possible Disruption's - 42 posts
Alex - 0 posts
Deposits and bust buiders...!!! - 3 posts
property available near murcia region, costa calida - 0 posts
NIE/non-resident certificate - 18 posts
900 euro speeding fine - 39 posts
Disposing of Fridge / Freezer - 5 posts
Motoring in Euroland - 6 posts
Los Alcazares Restaurants - 11 posts
Household bills on Long term let's? - 4 posts
Solmar Car Hire - 5 posts
Losing land to pay for urban infra-structure - mortgage??? - 10 posts
Dunnings from Oregon, USA - 1 posts
Sanilles Thermal Spa Invesatment CAUTION - 1 posts
Fire work`s in Spain ,Amazing - 1 posts
Astronomical interest and legal fees - what are my options? - 4 posts
4x4 wanted - 3 posts
Why the non bank guarantee cases will fail .... - 25 posts
Hi My name is Matthew - 2 posts
WANTED! WILL PICK UP YOUR COMPUTER / ELECTRONIC / ICS SCRAP! - 0 posts
Our wonderful holiday at El Oasis apartment! - 1 posts
Looking for a property - 3 posts
Car Hire Question - 9 posts
The Black Bull Steakhouse and Bar, San Miguel de Salinas - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x