Pet Insurance?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Feb 2011 12:00 AM by charlie11 Star rating. 58 posts Send private message

Hi guys,

I am bringinging my dog to Spain and was wondering if anyone knows about pet insurance in Spain, I know my current insurance will not be valid can anyone reccommend a spanish policy or company, and type of premiums and availabilty of vets in costa del sol area?

Like 0      
21 Feb 2011 1:39 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Charlie

You won't get any pet insurance for your old dog.

But don't use the vets on the coast they are expensive. Most people in Fuengirola go Alhaurin. They also speak English.

Go to Alhaurin El Grande. They are very good and also very cheap by comparison!

Take the newly opened Fuengirola-Coin road and you'll be there in 10-15 mins from Fuengirola.

Hospital Veterinario
Alhaurin El Grande
Ctra de Coin, 59
29120 Alhaurin El Grande

Tel 952 59 53 54

Like 0      
21 Feb 2011 2:28 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Well my vet offered me insurance here in Lorca. I didn't bother because of their ages but they've definitely got pamphlets on the desk.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
13 Feb 2012 4:32 PM by Susiedunn1 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hello to everyone

We plan to move to Aguilas at the end of March 2012 and we will be bringing our 4 year old German Shepherd Cross dog with us.  He is insured at the moment but this provider will not provide insurance in Spain.  Could anyone recommend an insurance provider?   Also we will be looking for a good vet in the Aguilas area?  What are the normal opening hours for vets in Spain? He is on Advocate and we already have a Scalibor collar to put on him but does he need anything else to protect him?

Like 0      
16 Feb 2012 3:45 PM by andybax Star rating in Los Alcazares. 6 posts Send private message

Hello Susie , I can offer some advice if you want.

You can use the contact box via The Oasis Service Center in Los Alcazares.

Regards Andy.

Like 0      
16 Feb 2012 7:21 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Susie Hi...

Normal annual veterinary inoculations as in the UK plus annual rabies shots should be quite adequate. Scalibor collars are necessary only if infestation occurs. As for the availablity of Advocate... don't know but ask your UK vet for a supply before you leave. There are other spot-on medications available like Stronghold and Frontline and these should work out cheaper than in the UK and are probably just as efficient as Advocate.

Can't speak for the area where you are going but generally vets hours tend to be 10 to 1330 and 1630 to 2100 with Saturday opening only in the morning session. Shop around for vets once you are established here; there is a lot of competition and prices can vary a hell of a lot but generally they are much cheaper  (but just as capable) than the UK. For instance... my own vet in Granada provides worming tablets free of charge. The full vaccination programme plus microchipping plus passport issue at his surgery runs out at under 100 euros per animal. Just as well since I have 9 of the little b*ggers darlings, seven of which are village street dogs who were abandoned...

There is a small risk from processional caterpillars during the period March to mid May if you live in an area with a lot of pine trees. See this link for more information.

Beyond this, just take the same precautions that you would in the UK, but do provide protection from sunburn and sunstoke during the long hot summers, especially if your GSD has a long or thick coat.

HTH

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
16 Feb 2012 8:55 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 469 posts Send private message

We mostly use LV for all our Insurances Car, Home and Pet

They have a very good WEBSITE too

Regards Rod

Like 0      
13 Feb 2014 9:42 AM by George50 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi my cat is insured with Protectapet they have been excellent and speak english,965 756 371 Good luck with the move!!!!

Like 0      
17 Feb 2014 7:48 AM by carl9 Star rating. 136 posts Send private message

I emailed them last week to ask about insurance for our 5 doags and they didn't bother to respond.

Carl

Like 0      
17 Feb 2014 9:56 AM by carl9 Star rating. 136 posts Send private message

All,

I take that back, just had a call from them and they were lovely and very helpful and the premiums and conditions seem very fair.

Carl

Like 0      
18 Feb 2014 2:17 AM by krankomat1 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

No not really there is not such a thing in Spain! :)

This message was last edited by krankomat1 on 18/02/2014.

This message was last edited by krankomat1 on 18/02/2014.

Like 0      
18 Feb 2014 10:05 AM by carl9 Star rating. 136 posts Send private message

Krankomat, not sure what you're saying? If you read the thread, there clearly are policies available!

I decided against it as they don't offer an ongoing cover for conditions, you can only have up to the policy limit for each conditions, so if it's a chronic condition the pet isn't covered for subsequent treatment

Carl

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Overseas Keys San Javier - 16 posts
Internet Providers - 0 posts
Air con units - 1 posts
Daily Mail Scaremongering? - 49 posts
Cementfor sale €1.50 per bag - 0 posts
Honest solicitor - 0 posts
moving - 0 posts
Community: BANK ACCOUNT - 6 posts
Not having the best holiday - 27 posts
WANTED - Long Term Let - La Nucia / Polop / Alfaz del Pi - 2 posts
Hotel/Motel outside Madrid - 2 posts
We want to buy a satellite dish - 0 posts
Healthcare Experience - 4 posts
Am I liable to pay taxes - 0 posts
Legal taxi transfers based at Villa Martin - 4 posts
Zero excess on car rentals - 0 posts
Breach Of Contract-Asking For A Discount? - 10 posts
taxman trying it on... - 5 posts
Making A Compliant Against Court/Judge - 5 posts
VISA Electron - 17 posts
N & P Woes - 20 posts
CAR HIRE RIP OFF BY CARTRAWLER - 8 posts
Who owns and who can use unfenced land. Where can shepherds graze their flocks? - 7 posts
Wholesalers for market stalls/small shops etc. - 2 posts
Indonesian/Thai food in Murcia city? - 11 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x