Mr Wippy Ice Cream

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 May 2007 12:00 AM by mike grigg Star rating in Birmingham. 5 posts Send private message

Looking for a little help here.  I'm currently living in the UK as an Automotive Engineer,but looking to buy in Southern Spain early next year.  Although I can afford to buy a property outright, i'm probably not as well off as some of you already there so i'm looking at investing some money in a ice cream van, and sell wippy ice creams around the urbanisations, simular to what happens in the UK.  Before I invest money in my new adventure, I need to know how the law stands in permits, licences and anything else I hav'nt even thought about.  Can anybody help me in guiding me in the right direction.  Oh by the way, i'll be bringing my wife with me to serve the ice creams.  Somebody's got to drive the van....

Like 0      
16 May 2007 10:18 PM by volfen Star rating in San Cayetano. 97 posts Send private message

volfen´s avatar

Hi Mike    There is actually a franchise already operational over here called   "Senor Whiipy"  They boast that they are the obnly ones licenced to sell ice creams in spain  We have been here sice before christmas   and have yet to see an icecream van  on the road   So good luck  in your venture   You might be advised to look into the legal side before you do anything

Sheila and Alan

Like 0      
16 May 2007 11:29 PM by harley Star rating in West Midlands/ Costa.... 67 posts Send private message

harley´s avatar
Hello Mike, and welcome to our forum Janice Fibby and Justin were are you???? dare I ask. And before any one wonders how the bread maker sarga is coming along, may be by July I will be making bread on the Costa Blanca, Watch this space.
We are also in Orihuela and on our urb every Sunday, same time 3 pm ,Senior Whippy arrives on site and the queues start, all ages all shapes. Do your home work twice over and best of luck. Which part of Birmingham are you from?

Harley

Like 0      
17 May 2007 9:46 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Hi Mike

Great idea, nice to see some different business ideas being considered.

By the way, I'm a Mechanical Engineer and used to work in Automotive...until I got made redundant

Anyway, welcome to the site and hope you enjoy it.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
17 May 2007 10:01 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi Mike,

Welcome to EOS!

I saw an advert the other day on another forum, for Mr Whippy icecream franchises in Spain.

I will have a look for it and post the link on here shortly.

Harley,

Heloooooooo, I am here!!!!

Not the breadmaking saga again, did you find one!!!

I reckon you should start a shop up in Spain selling your bread, you would make loads of dough............

He he he!!!!!!

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
17 May 2007 5:10 PM by mike grigg Star rating in Birmingham. 5 posts Send private message

Thanks for your comments Fibby UK, look forward to any other comments you may have.  Justin I worked at MG Rover for 21 years before the shut down in 2005, I now work in Kings Norton.  We paint parts for Bentley, Jaguar, Aston Martin, L/Rover and Honda, I am a Colour Measurement Quality engineer.  Harley, I live in Rednal, 1 mile away from the old Rover plant. Sheila & Alan, thanks for your kind remarks, I will definetly do my homework, a 5 year old Ice Cream van will cost 20 to 25 thousand pounds.  So I have to be certain.  The area we are looking at buying is between Alicante and Torevejeca (Sorry spelling needs Correcting)  possibly La Marina.

Keep the information coming, I'm certainly getting more joy from EOS than the British Consolate in Spain.

EOS, keep up the good work, the site is the best thing coming out of Spain for information.

Like 0      
17 May 2007 5:17 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
oh Mike please, you're making me blush

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
17 May 2007 9:08 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi Mike, I have been on this site for a while and it has helped me a lot.  We have an apartment  in a village in Formentera and I have said before on this site it is like going back in time.  We do have a van that comes round every Friday selling food and frozen ice cream and another one selling all hams and meat.   Horse and cart comes round but not sure what that is about. But no ice cream van I would think even the Spanish children would love it I do not know about the parents though spending their euros.  But I would do a lot of research is my advice to you, which I expect you are doing but I think it seems a brilliant idea, but might be a lot of hard work.     But good luck hope it works out for you.    Regards Pat

Like 0      
18 May 2007 9:03 AM by samson Star rating in Solihull/Benalmadena. 125 posts Send private message

Hi Mike 

here is the ink to the "senor whippy" website

http://www.senorwhippy.com

Like 0      
18 May 2007 5:23 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Thanks for giving Mike that link Samson, that's the one I saw but forgot where I saw it!

So Mike, job done!

Rgds,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
19 May 2007 8:44 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Hi Mike  There's an icecream van on the Monday market at San Pedro and that seems to be popular with the Brits (not sure about Spanish)

I'd suggest renting a property in your chosen area to help you decide before you buy, in and out of season.  It could make a big difference to a trade like this. 

Good luck

Zena

Like 0      
19 May 2007 1:04 PM by mike grigg Star rating in Birmingham. 5 posts Send private message

Too all who have answered me, thanks.  It's what makes a good site the best.  Especially Samson, looked on Senor Whippy, and the money I was looking to invest seems to be the money they are charging, and the bonus is they sort out all the permits and areas for me. I've emailed then with 2 pages of questions, waiting for a reply. 

Is there anybody out there that has delt with Senor Whippy, I'd be interested to hear how cosha this company is.

I'll keep EOS updated on my progression.

Like 0      
20 May 2007 6:17 PM by y100 Star rating in london/los montesino.... 36 posts Send private message

hi I was out in spain a couple of weeks ago and we had an English ice-cream van with an English  couple operating it. We were on our way out but I think he comes around every Sunday. I am at Laguna Green which is in front of the well known Entre Naranjos between San Miguel and Los montesinos CB he was definitely not senor whippy

yvonne

Like 0      
19 Sep 2007 3:03 PM by chrissy222 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi Mike,

did you end up buying into senor Wippy ice cream,  because I have seen the ad myself and am thinking of doing the same.   can you let me now. Thanks Chrissy.

Like 0      
13 Apr 2008 2:15 PM by tara123 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi

Did Mike or Chrissie ever buy an ice cream van from Senor whippy?   Has anyone else had dealings with them?

Would appreciate any info anyone has on Senor Whippy

Thanks

Like 0      
13 Apr 2008 5:32 PM by gaynormurray Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hi All!

we too had ideas to do an ice cream van round and indeed did have lengthy e mail correspondence  with senor whippy, they were very helpful, they had an office in Guardamar, but we never got to meet the owners, as we had to fly back to England swiftly, and decided it probably wasnt for us. Apparantly, you cant just drive around the streets like in England, you need a permit for every place you go, senor whippy kept saying it would be best to have a static site, ie as in a sunday market etc, we didnt really want to tie ourselves down to a permanent place, we had visions of driving wherever the fancy took us, ie round the urbanisations or along the coast maybe. It was a lot of money to fork out up front for no guarantee return, but good luck to everyone who wants to give it  go, would be interested to hear how they get on!

Regards

Gaynor & Gordon

Like 0      
06 May 2008 11:47 AM by petercochrane Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

You cannot operate an ice cream van legally in the Orihuela Costa area of Spain. If someone tells you they can be extremely careful. I personally know of people who have tried it but have been told to get the van out of the country ny the Guardia. i would not have anything to do with Senor Whippy. They do not produce pitches because they don't control them,the police and town halls control them and they are full with no chance of pitches becoming available. It surely makes sense that a van is illegal or we would be swamped by them! I can thoroughly recommend you don't try it and certainly not via Senor Whippy

Like 0      
12 May 2008 8:49 AM by ceriparry Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

hi, you are not allowed to drive an ice cream van round spain. you have to buy a pitch and stay there. its not like over here or everyone would be doing it!

Like 0      
20 Aug 2008 3:19 PM by hjdagger0805 Star rating in Pilar De La Horadada.... 12 posts Send private message

hjdagger0805´s avatar

Hi,
You were interested in an Ice cream van or the details about one.
I set up an ice cream business this year on the Costa Blanca Spain. This was very frustrating as I used Señior Whippy. With all the promises they made they did not provide anything like they advertised.
I had to get all the Spanish legal paperwork myself. I ended up having to take possession of my trailer from a warehouse where it was being worked on. The trailer was a long way from finished and it cost me a lot of money to put it right. But it was better than ending up with nothing. 
It took me almost a year to get everything sorted. 
The facts are that trading on the street moving from place to place is illegal whatever anyone tells you.
This is called ambulante and it is illegal in the whole of Spain. Yes there are a couple of people who are doing it but it is still illegal and if prosecuted they would lose their vans.
The chap who had an English van on Zoco market was given 15 days to remove it from the country or have it crushed. He has now bought a Spanish van. English commercial vans or trailers cannot be transferred to Spanish registration although some people will tell you they can.
The only way to do it legally is to get licences for legal Spanish markets. This is a lot more difficult than it sounds and some markets have up to 8 year waiting lists. You need a separate licence for each market. You have to apply to the relevant Ayuntamiento (council) or the relevant police force depending on who is running the market. An application does not mean you will get a pitch. Also each Ayuntamiento has different rules and require different paperwork and everything is in Spanish. I can speak good Spanish but initially used an interpreter until I realised that she was not able to translate the urgency or emotion needed to make a point just the literal translation. This makes a huge difference to the response of the Spanish person you are speaking to. Also the Spanish really appreciate when you speak Spanish to them. So I did the rest myself.

I have now obtained 6 legal Spanish markets with the possibility of 2 more if I want them.

Having got through all that I now have a nice profitable and simple business which can go on forever should I wish.

Like 0      
26 Jan 2009 10:53 PM by icecreamlady Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi

Just wanted to back up what has been posted already. We brought a van over to Tarragona in 2004 and did good business eventually by setting up at various local fiestas as well as having a fixed spot in a big out-of-town DIY store car park. We thought we had had an incredible brainwave when we first came over having just decided to 'go for it' and not be put off by people warning us about Spanish paperwork and regs. We found it hard at first but the strategy of combining a regular spot with one-offs paid off and we ended up not regretting the venture.

However since then the van has been parked up in a garage (we thought we might get back to it one summer having had 2 kids meanwhile) but it looks as if we won't be going back to selling ice cream.

Does anybody want to have a go?

We are keen to sell in time for the coming season.

Let me know.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Date for License for Construction Phase 4 - 0 posts
Date for License for Construction Phase 4 - 0 posts
costa blanca south or almeria - 6 posts
HI - 8 posts
Discount card club - Costa Blanca - 3 posts
Cocker Spaniel puppy wants a home - 4 posts
whats the latest - 3 posts
liza - 6 posts
Hacienda Riquelme Phase 1 - 5 posts
Golf Course Design Services - 0 posts
Hola EOS - 2 posts
just joined from karen and keith hola! - 3 posts
Been away, love new look! - 5 posts
A quick word to all new members who may seem lost in EOS - 0 posts
almanzora country club - 19 posts
english mortgage or spanish - 5 posts
From Pauline & Steve - 0 posts
U.K.benefits in Spain. - 2 posts
just joined! - 3 posts
Buenos dias from Manilva - 0 posts
Rental Management - 5 posts
Wills - 2 posts
Building and contents insurance - 23 posts
good rental agents/ key holders etc Estepona - 1 posts
Out 1st December. R U ? - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 30

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x