CAR HIRE RIP OFF BY CARTRAWLER

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Feb 2011 12:00 AM by whiskyman Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

WARNING to everyone about to hire a car.  If the company has connections with Car Trawler from Ireland they'll  rip you off.

Three months ago at Malaga Airport, I picked up a hire car for a week at a reasonable price. 

In addition,  I was asked for 65 Euros for a full tank of diesel and told to return the car with an empty tank.

I only covered about 200 miles and was left with about 50 Euros of diesel in the tank, which I was not compensated for.

It WAS listed in the smallprint, but I would still class this as dishonest. 

I certainly would not be allowed to steal 50 Euros from Cartrawler, and expect to get off with it.

I hasten to add that most Irish people are honest, just my bad luck to deal with the dishonest ones.

Rehards.   Whiskyman..

Like 0      
18 Feb 2011 5:37 PM by taraleisure Star rating in Holmfirth. 294 posts Send private message

This has nothing to do with Irish people or companies. The Full/empty rule is applied by most car hire firms in Spain. I have used 4 different ones at San Javier airport and all ask for full tank payment upfront ( which includes the additional service charge that they are allowed). They all make it clear that you return the car empty. None will refund if you  leave fuel in the car. All are Rip off 'merchants, not just Cartrawler

Like 0      
18 Feb 2011 6:21 PM by Cartrawler Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

CarTrawler Support

Like 0      
18 Feb 2011 8:15 PM by gooders1 Star rating in Bromley Kent, Almora.... 5 posts Send private message

Hi,

We have always used PJ's rentacar after it was recommend to us by a friend, Fuel you only pay for what you used.

Never had a problem and would recommended them

Gooders

Like 0      
21 Feb 2011 10:12 AM by Cartrawler Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

CarTrawler provides a service to customers that is both a search and booking engine..  We scan over 550 different Rental providers worldwide and list them in order of price and Features. The fuel policy of applied  varies from Rental provider to Rental Provider and is not a CarTrawler charge.  All Charges are listed in the confirmation voucher and Terms & Conditions we send to customers. We tailor each voucher to reflect the fuel policy of the chosen supplier in addition to listing the fuel policy on the booking engine as a bullet pointed text field (i.e. * Pick up full, Return empty). To suggest that this standard business practice of rental providers around the world is somehow a Rip off on behalf of CarTrawler is neither accurate nor fair or considered. We list all the terms of service, including Fuel policy of the chosen rental provider at the time of booking. We ask customers to tick a box to acknowledge that they have read and under stood the terms of service before the booking can be processed and we again list the terms in our electronic voucher sent to the customers e-mail. We agree with taraleisure when they state that this has nothing to do with Irish people , companies or, dishonesty. Rental providers around the globe including the UK, France Spain and any country you care to think of apply fuel polices in this manner. CarTrawler simply presents the selection of Rental providers to the consumer

Like 0      
21 Feb 2011 12:48 PM by sineadh Star rating in Passage West, Cork. 2 posts Send private message

As a long time reader of the forum, I have finally registered in order to post on this subject.

I feel strongly about this having been a target of expensive, rip off car hire companies in the past. Once these companies have your credit card details they can pretty much take what they like and its not even within reason, windscreen damage, tyre damage, excessive fuel cost, replacement lights, they seem to have no end of imaginery damage or imaginery reasons to add something extra to your bill, and sometimes it doesnt even come to light until you check your credit card statement once you go home.

In my experience, It is worth seeking out the small independent companies. One of the companies mentioned on this thread has been mentioned a number of times on EOS and it has lead to me making a booking with them for Easter. So far i can say their booking service is both personal and prompt, I will post my feedback after I return.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2011 1:36 PM by sanoliver Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

I  have  always used  Economy  Car  Hire,  Dereham ,  Norfolk.  UK.  They  tell  you  everything  you  want  to  know,  you  can  make  a  personal  call  to  book  or  go  online. The  insurance  is  good  and  they  offer  a  cheaper  rate  to  cover  the  tyres windscreen  underside  etc.

Economy  Car  Hire  has  also  been  acknowledged  by  EyeonSpain.

I  think  that  Solmar  are  the  only  Company  now  that  do  full  tank  to  full  tank. 

Like 0      
23 Feb 2011 5:45 PM by paul w Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

For the past 2 years I have been using Al Andalus Car Hire. The service is impeccable and the fuel policy is full/full.

They hire from Almeria, Murcia and Alicante. Try them I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

Paul

Like 0      
23 Feb 2011 5:58 PM by PROBE Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

From Malaga we've always used AutosFlores which means that you miss the scrum in the car rental area as they leave you an envelope with the car key at the OMT office and a note of where they have parked the car in the main car park. When you return the car you just park anywhere and lock key in the boot and send them a text message with the car park space on it. They charge for half a tank and expect it empty - seems reasonable to me.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Who owns and who can use unfenced land. Where can shepherds graze their flocks? - 7 posts
Wholesalers for market stalls/small shops etc. - 2 posts
Indonesian/Thai food in Murcia city? - 11 posts
Las Vegas strip in Spain - 5 posts
THE RAT CATCHERS IS SECURIY CLEARED BY M16 - 0 posts
INROAL Depost Return Cases - 4 posts
Any one missing UK radio? - 3 posts
Fined for driving with ear piece! - 4 posts
gardener/handyman - 13 posts
WANTED: El Suplemento "Magazine" del periodico "El Mundo" 25 Enero 2011 - 1 posts
Who looks after your dog when your away??? - 6 posts
PLANE RIP OFF AND THEIR GETTING AWAY WITH IT - 3 posts
Car Hire Gibraltar - 1 posts
Car Hire Gibraltar - 0 posts
Question for Justin re. privacy - 3 posts
Wanted Packing Boxes - 1 posts
"The UK PM shoots himself in the foot" Downing Street has new rat catcher - 6 posts
3G in Spain - 8 posts
Moving to the states everything must go-make us an offer - 2 posts
Holiday Villa rental - 2 posts
Working Online Section? - 2 posts
Arrow Car Hire Va Va Voom - 4 posts
Want to remortgage my property and need advice - 12 posts
BANK CHARGES - 1 posts
Oil or Gas Central Heating system - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x