Advice please for Australian pensioner moving to Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Feb 2011 12:00 AM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Hi

I wonder if anybody can give me some advice for a friend hoping to move to Spain to be closer to her son.  She is British but has spent many years working in Australia where she is living at present.  Her UK pension is minimal, however she has a good Australian pension.  Are there any Australian pensioners living over here, or do you know somebody in a similar situation?  She is worried that if she moves here permanently her Australian pension could be reduced.  Is anybody able to help reassure her?

Many thanks.

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
10 Feb 2011 4:25 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 470 posts Send private message

Sue financial advice  is required it seems perhaps a QROPS may be the best solution an IFA would be best placed to advise in this case 

Regards Rod

www.ournextholiday.co.uk

Like 0      
10 Feb 2011 7:50 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

If she can come to Spain via the UK 1st she'd get her UK pension put back to the going rate & be entitled to future increases !

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
10 Feb 2011 9:00 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Thanks for your replies.  I think the only problem with going to the UK first is it would affect her Australian pension, which I gather is a lot more than her UK one!

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
10 Feb 2011 9:29 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

I came across someone about 2 years ago who had some problem to do with UK/AUS pension and being resident in Spain.

It was something to do with while she maintained a UK address she was fine but otherwise she was in trouble and she did not wish to lie. I can't recall the whole story but it meant she lost one of her reciprical pension rights although she could have tried a claim directly to Aus. I think it might have been as long as she "lived" in UK UK would honour but not if she left UK and if that was the case start a Spanish/Aus application.

It was complex and no one seemed able to advise her .....

So your friend does need to be very careful

Like 0      
11 Feb 2011 12:19 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Assuming you're talking about an Australian state pension, surely the pension authorities in OZ are the best people to advise her?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
13 Feb 2011 7:52 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I lived and worked in Australia for 2 years in the late 60's.  When I asked for a forcast for my UK pension these years weren't included, I was told that all I needed to do was provide two letters from people who knew that I had spent x amount of time in Australia and I would be credited with the missing years.

In 1975 all the NI/Pension records were computerized and the records prior to this have to be adjusted manually.

Seems strange that my years spent in Australia would be added to my UK pension contributions but that it doesn't work the other way.

Definately need to speak to the pension people in Austalia to understand the rules, maybe because of living in Spain (European country) will count as living in UK.

European countries are entitled to pension increases but Australia/New Zealand you're not.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Flights to Almeria - 0 posts
Unemployment in Spain to stay above 20% until 2013 - 0 posts
Internet in Spain - 10 posts
How do I find nearest doctor to register with? - 9 posts
Airport transfers - 1 posts
opening times easter 2011 - 8 posts
help wat is this - 5 posts
Finally! - 10 posts
Spanish Banks invokes European Enforcement Order Against U.K. couple. - 12 posts
Can you help? - 0 posts
First post and a question - 5 posts
Registering on the Padron - 1 posts
Beware Auriga Crown Conditions - 8 posts
Closing a Spanish Bank Account - 2 posts
Memories - 0 posts
How many in the same boat????? - 36 posts
Record Rent a Car- Alicante. Opinions please - 24 posts
lcd television - 4 posts
Air con Units - 4 posts
Long Term Rental wanted from May Rojales/Quesada - 0 posts
charges - 0 posts
Hunting laws? - 2 posts
N I E numbers? - 4 posts
Vodafone.es email address - 4 posts
What to do with the kids - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x