Insurance and changing to spanish plates?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
31 Jan 2011 12:00 AM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

Hi all,

We are in the middle of changing a car from UK to spanish plates.

It has its ITV and ficha tecnica, question is do Traffico  need a valid insurance certificate to issue new plates?

The current insurance runs out in a few days, we'd rather wait untill we have the spanish plates before re-insuring it. It was a pain last time we did this with land rover, changing the insurance.

Regards,

Febe

No matter where you go, there you are.

Like 0      
31 Jan 2011 1:10 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Febe Hi;

Had a quick look at the dgt website for matters pertaining to matriculation and I cannot see any reference to a need for an inurance certificate,

These three links seem to cover the subject...

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Hopefully something here will give you the information you need.

Mind you they always seem to do things differently in your neck of the woods so who knows!

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
31 Jan 2011 1:29 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

I've re-matriculated loads of vehicles & can't ever re-call being asked for insurance.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
31 Jan 2011 4:17 PM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

Thanks guys,

FB. I did find that site and as you say couldn't see mention of insurance. But then my spanish isn't all that, I could have missed it. Also not too sure which of those I needed.

Gus. I know we need: Ficha tecnica, ITV, BASE road tax, NIE and padron. Is there any thing else that you know of?

Thanks again,

Febe

This message was last edited by Febe on 31/01/2011.

Like 0      
31 Jan 2011 4:50 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

are you doing it under change of residence rules.

If so you have to go to your Consulate and get a baja consular and then pop along to the tax office and complete modelo 006 to claim exemption from import tax.

Also you have to pay the road tax before going to traffico.

If doing it in malaga you can go to traffico in afternoon becuase hardly anyone is there.

Like 0      
31 Jan 2011 5:17 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Residencia & if you've not got a card , only the new paper form, then you'll probably need your passport to identify yourself + at least one photocopy of everything !

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
31 Jan 2011 8:51 PM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

Faro, I don't think we could use that because we've had the car over 2 years and lived here more than 4 years. Looks to me that you can only do that if you bring the car with you when you move.

No one nag at me, we've kept Scooby  fully UK legal for the 2 years we've had him.

Yes, as you say, next step road tax.

Gus, when was the last time you matriculated a car? The spanish guy in Tortosa that did the tecnical data, per ITV visit, told us that things have changed. Made easyer since we did the land rover. HA HA. NOT that we've noticed yet!                                                                Also we don't have residencia, that was not a problem with the land rover.  Do you think/know if a passport on its own is still OK?

Thanksfor all your help.

Take care,

Febe

Like 0      
01 Feb 2011 9:58 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

The Baja Consular document is a statutory declaration saying that you have just washed up on these shores. The only document I could produce with an address to prove I was resient where I had said I came from was my driving licence. I had not lived in that country for 15 years!

The consulate don't care what you say/sign and neither do the tax office. The tax office does not ask how your car got here.

If you have not changed your tax status then you should be able to do it under change of residence rules.

My car had also been here for 2+ years when I decided to change plates.

The only problem is the British consulate rip you off with a high fee for the document (I ihink EUR150) whereas my consulate only charges EUR20. British Consulate fees are a joke but it pays for their jolly in Spain.

Really you just have to be careful what documents you produce at each step/office.

Like 0      
01 Feb 2011 10:47 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

It's 2 years since I've done one but the passport & copy + padron should be ok. Most of the ones I did were for people who weren't here & I never had a problem . If you are going to pay the import tax then do that at the hacienda before going to el Trafico. The hacienda in Murcia give you a number & a sheet listing all the docs. required which if you have not got , or are short of copies, you can nip out & get before your turn. In addition you can never miss your turn as the numbers missing are called  until you turn up. If you've got all the papers when you're called & go to the desk , they'll work out the tax which you then pay at the bank in the hacienda. After paying you then go to the end desk to have the forms stamped to show trafico that it's been paid. Then go to trafico to sort out the rest. If you look here ;      http://www.aeat.es/AEAT/Contenidos_Comunes/La_Agencia_Tributaria/Normativas/Ficheros_Asociados_a_Las_Normativas/A2009/OrdenEHA3476_2009.pdf   Scroll down & find your vehicle & note 2010 value & CO2 value. Then go here ;  

http://www.aeat.es/AEAT/Contenidos_Comunes/Ficheros/Informacion_Institucional/Campanias/IMPUESTO_ESPECIAL_SOBRE_DETERMINADOS_MEDIOS_DE_TRANSPORTE/Otros_Servicios/pdvu2006.pdf

Scroll down to the 2nd chart, Anexo IV  which is the % valuation for vehicles ( the 1st is for boat engines )  which will give you the % of new price to obtain the government tax value. I.E. If the car has a 2010 value of 20,000 & the years old gives you 25% then the gov. value is 4000€ X by the tax %. Now it's based on CO2 emissions & there are 4 bands . The highest band, no4 is 14,75%, band three is 9,75%, sorry can't remember the other two or the CO2 bands, but you can work out a rough idea of the tax due.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
01 Feb 2011 12:49 PM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

Great links Gus, thanks.

Sadly the cars not listed. It was imported from japan to UK. Never formaly to europ.

It's a 1997 Subaru Impreza WRX STi. 1998cc Sports Wagon.

I wonder if this is going to make problems for us?

Not to worry, "Keep Calm and Carry On", as they say.

Regards, Febe

Like 0      
01 Feb 2011 12:54 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

if it was going to cause problems it would have at the ficha technica or ITV stage.

the problem is car companies produce different cars for different markets but they will match it to something

Like 0      
01 Feb 2011 1:52 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

They'd just go with the price of the nearest model sold now . With that age it'll only be around 450€'s.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
01 Feb 2011 7:21 PM by Stravinsky Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Febe, I imported a Japanese only produced FTO into Spain after it had been registered in the UK, and it was no probem

Like 0      
01 Feb 2011 8:25 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Stravinsky

Sorry, meant to say welcome. You must be getting bored!

This message was last edited by guslopez on 01/02/2011.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
01 Feb 2011 8:40 PM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

Hello this is Chris, husband of Febe.

We have collected the Ficha Technica this afternoon from Fraga ITV station. No problems except they did not put the correct model in the 4th line. It reads "Impreza 2.0i " and it should read " Impreza WRX STi Sport Wagon". Still it really does not matter. It probably goes back to matching it to the closest thing they can find.

I could not find the "modelo 006" easily. Like everyone I'm trying to do this as cheaply as possible! We have spoken to a couple of friends here and they have had cars imported from UK and had Guestors do the work. They have managed somehow to avoid paying import tax. The reason they were given was that they were resident in Spain. We are resident but only have padron with the local ajuntment. We have been told by our Obigado in Tarragona that residencia is not necessary now.

Three years ago we did pay import tax when we registered our Discovery and paid it through a local Guestor and were charged €50 for the privilage and the tax was €200 on our 1994 Disco. I think this was incorrect. The exemption form I have heard about should avoid this. Could anyone advise on this point?

The engineer that produced the Ficha Reducida in Tortosa.  ( using my information given by the way!!!) told me that the certificate from the British Embassy was no longer required.

Any of your recent experiences and advice would be appreciated.

Regards, Chris.

Like 0      
23 Mar 2011 7:51 PM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

Hi,

Just a quick up-date.

We went to Trafico today. Paid the (a?) tax and fee, just have to go back tomorrow and pick up the paper work.

All went very smoothly, which is always a worry!!

Take care.

Febe

Like 0      
18 Apr 2011 8:46 PM by Mick28 Star rating in Essex.UK/ Velez Rubi.... 15 posts Send private message

Hi, not sure if this information is on the forum some where, as can`t found it.

Will be driving over end of may with UK car, and will be staying, as I now have job offer locally.

I have read that you can only keep the UK registered car legally for 6months on the road before you have change to Spanish plates.

Also any other help in this matter ie, Insurance and tax of car if on UK plates.

Thanks

Mick.

Like 0      
18 Apr 2011 11:14 PM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

Mick28

If you will be a resident here you must change the car on to spanish plates within 30 days I think as it is illegal for aresident to own and drive a foriegn registered car

Fred

Overseas Property Company

fred@overseaspropertycompany.com

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

having friend in spain.. - 0 posts
Sunday Times/SanSebastian - 0 posts
Looking for work - 5 posts
moveing to spain - 15 posts
Banks and Bank Guarantees...Is this another step in the right direction. - 13 posts
Spanish Lawyers Professional Indemnity Insurance - 45 posts
Which supermarkets sell bread flour? - 5 posts
Ladies Hockey on Costa del Sol - 0 posts
Man with a van Altea area - 0 posts
Spanish Lawyers Professional Indemnity Insurance. - 0 posts
Trouble with room safe - 1 posts
Certificate of habitation for a finca needing total restoration - query - 6 posts
Baking on order - 1 posts
Pigeons...... - 6 posts
New "Search" Bar - 2 posts
President & Committee Guidelines - 1 posts
Directions from Alicante Airport to Vera Playa - 1 posts
WiFi in Spain - 0 posts
Excellent Spanish Lawyer - 2 posts
new resident in velez malaga - 0 posts
Military Service - 1 posts
Padron - 76 posts
Pelayo Insurance company - 0 posts
Washing Machines, Inverters and generators - 10 posts
Hospital Quiron Malaga - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 18

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x