Looking for work

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Jan 2011 12:00 AM by Jessicabernice Star rating in Douglas, Isle of Man. 3 posts Send private message

My parents and I are hoping to move to Spain in the next few months, my step-dad already has a few offers for a company based in Gibraltar, but as I am currently doing my A Levels, would it be easy for me to move out there and find a job?

If anyone could help, it would be really appreciated :)

Like 0      
30 Jan 2011 7:08 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Unemployment in Spain is far worse than in the UK currently, especially in the south. You may find something in Gibraltar, especially in the online gaming business, but unless you live in La Linea, which is pretty grim, you will have quite a commute daily. Plenty of people do it, but it's not ideal. If you are thinking of taking a year out and don't mind washing dishes or serving in a bar, for example, you may be lucky enough to find illegal work on the coast. Even if youspeak fluetn Spanish, there are very few decent prospects available to you. If on the other hand you are thinking more long term, and hoping to embark on some kind of career path, you would probably be best staying put for now and making the most of Ryanair and your parents to benefit from regular cheap holidays!

Good luck whatever you decide.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
31 Jan 2011 9:57 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Teaching English is, in my opinion, always an option if you adapt yourself to people and market.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
31 Jan 2011 5:29 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

As Roberto says, your only realistic option is to get a job in Gibraltar.  There's nothing in Spain at the moment, particularly the south coast.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
28 Apr 2011 4:43 PM by tenantfile Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Teaching is a best option for job work in Spain. And if you are  a teacher of english then it will be more benefical for you . Teaching english is great profession in the Spain.

Like 0      
28 Apr 2011 7:50 PM by growler Star rating in Birmingham & Benejúz.... 164 posts Send private message

I've noticed lots of people, in all sorts of online resources, suggesting teaching as a second language (ESOL) is still sought after in many countries abroad, including spain. That may (or may not?) be the case but it's certainly not as straightforward as many people appear to suggest! I've looked into doing ESOL via two different channels within the past year and both times was advised that without an English degree to backup any ESOL qualification securing employment would be "very difficult".

Would be interested to hear views from anyone else who's either done or looked into doing ESOL with a view to teaching in spain. For the record, I don't have any degree but would be looking to do ESOL after becoming qualified to teach further education via a PTTLS > DTLLS route.  

Apologies to the OP for taking the thread off at a tangent! 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

moveing to spain - 15 posts
Banks and Bank Guarantees...Is this another step in the right direction. - 13 posts
Spanish Lawyers Professional Indemnity Insurance - 45 posts
Which supermarkets sell bread flour? - 5 posts
Ladies Hockey on Costa del Sol - 0 posts
Man with a van Altea area - 0 posts
Spanish Lawyers Professional Indemnity Insurance. - 0 posts
Trouble with room safe - 1 posts
Certificate of habitation for a finca needing total restoration - query - 6 posts
Baking on order - 1 posts
Pigeons...... - 6 posts
New "Search" Bar - 2 posts
President & Committee Guidelines - 1 posts
Directions from Alicante Airport to Vera Playa - 1 posts
WiFi in Spain - 0 posts
Excellent Spanish Lawyer - 2 posts
new resident in velez malaga - 0 posts
Military Service - 1 posts
Padron - 76 posts
Pelayo Insurance company - 0 posts
Washing Machines, Inverters and generators - 10 posts
Hospital Quiron Malaga - 2 posts
Lunchtime Surf - 3 posts
Navarre Appeal Court says Banks have no rights.... - 4 posts
Qualified Boiler Technician Needed Murcia - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x