Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Jan 2011 12:00 AM by Trocy Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help...

I recently bought an apartment in Nueva Andalucia and, after having a boletin done, my electrician signed me up for a 6.7kW electricity supply.  The problem is, I have a very high powered water heater - pulling 38amps on use - so the new maximum consumption level means this cannot be used and I therefore have no hot water.  

Does anyone know if a 9kW supply would enable me to use the water heater and, if so, what the increase in tariff may be for this raised contract level?  I.e. I am wondering if it would be cheaper for me to replace the water heater with a boiler instead, which is actually what my electrician advised - would seem a real shame to do this though since the water heater is quite new.

Any advice appreciated...

Thanks!

Like 0      
14 Jan 2011 3:45 PM by amep75 Star rating. 79 posts Send private message

we use a gas water heater works fine they cost about 175 eu

for 2 batha day plus cooking we use a cylinder a month cost 13 euro and the water heats instantly when turn tap on

Like 0      
14 Jan 2011 4:19 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Firstly I am not an electrician.

When you say water heater do you mean some type of instant electric shower/heater? I thought most of the tank type heaters work on about 3KW and use normal 2.5mm wire whereas a 10KW electric power shower would need 10mm cable installed. 

Your installation will dictate how high you can go. You might only be able to contract 8kw without a major upgrade?

Other option might be to get back the electrician and by-pass the control?

But best to discuss options with a Spanish electrician.

Like 0      
14 Jan 2011 5:57 PM by longlegpeter Star rating in Surrey UK & Costa Bl.... 5 posts Send private message

If your voltage is 230v and your heater does draw a genuine 38amp then your heater draws 8,740watts so a 9kw supply would supply that and that only so would be no good, your electrician should be able to advise but it seams a huge amount to use for hot water but if it’s a instant shower unit they can use this much, as has been said most tank type water heaters are around 3kw so 13amps

Like 0      
14 Jan 2011 6:10 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Did you buy the high powered water heater in Spain becuase as far as I know you cannot buy 10KW showers in Spain.

If you have make/model number please post and I'll see what I can find out for you.

Also houses in Spain are not wired with heavy enough cable because I believe correctly you should use 10mm cable for appliances like this

People encounter similar problems in kitchens with hobs and ovens and again you can't buy double ovens in Spain.

This message was last edited by Faro on 14/01/2011.

This message was last edited by Faro on 14/01/2011.

Like 0      
14 Jan 2011 8:20 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1114 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

A wall hung 80 litre 1.8Kw Immersion type heater / boiler will cost about 180 Euros from you local decent ferretaria or Bricodepot and will supply more than enough hot water for two peoples daily needs.

Do not hang a heater of this nature on a partition wall however as the weight of the tank and its contents will most assuredly rip the wall down!

Given that the water is very hard in Spain I would recommend a water softener on the cold water supply into the tank. This will extend the life of the tank substantially.

If you decide to go the gas route, remember that all gas appliances need to be vented to the outside of the property. You will require a contract with Repsol or Cespa for the supply of gas bottles and the installation will be checked by one of their reps before any gas is supplied.

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
14 Jan 2011 9:20 PM by amep75 Star rating. 79 posts Send private message

dont nedd any thing they carry bottles round th streets and if you ask they knock on the door

you know when they are around cos they shout something unintelligable

Like 0      
15 Jan 2011 1:31 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1114 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

You will find that they will not sell you a bottle unless you have one to exchange...and short of buying an empty bottle at a car boot sale the only way to get one is via Repsol or Cepsa...who will insist on an inspection of the installation.

fb

Like 0      
15 Jan 2011 3:44 PM by Trocy Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Thank you all so much for the info!

Faro - I am not currently in Spain so I am not sure of the make and model of the water heater, however I am pretty sure it is from England as I remember it having text in English on the front so that would explain its high level of power.

I wonder if I might be able to find an electrician to upgrade my circuit breaker.  Otherwise I think I will take the water heater out and explore the gas option instead; rather than upgrading the cabling and my electricity supply.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Like 0      
15 Jan 2011 6:34 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1114 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Trocy;

I'd be very wary about upgrading the circuit breaker for your existing water heater. Contrary to public belief a circuit breaker is there to protect the supply and the wiring, not the appliance. As Faro has suggested, the wiring in most Spanish houses is not designed for heavy current appliances which you heater most certainly qualifies as. Indeed if the unit is plugged into a normal wall socket, the plug itself will only be rated at 16 amps max so the system is already under stress at tthe interface of the plug / socket.

Upgrading the breaker will will remove the protection of the designed in 'weak link in the chain' and could under certain circumstances lead to the wiring itself overheating and subsequently catching fire. Almost certainly your house insurance would not cover the resulting damage.

fb

Like 0      
15 Jan 2011 6:37 PM by Trocy Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Thanks for the advice!  I'll avoid that option then!  Think I'll replace the water heater with either a gas system or a water tank and immersion heater.

Like 0      
15 Jan 2011 6:40 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

I agree 100% with foxbat and you should not really mess with electricity or get in some cowboy electrician to do just that.

Like 0      
15 Jan 2011 6:43 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Trocy

Not all is lost you can sell on the water heater!

Like 0      
15 Jan 2011 6:51 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1114 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Trocy...

No problem!

I have just replaced our boiler for the second time in six years. We dont have the water softener that I suggested in the cold water line (its one of the jobs that I never seem to get around to!) so the tank furs up pretty quickly.

Generally speaking the tanks are not built to be serviced anyway so its pointless just trying to replace the thermostat or heater element.; when it stops working, just replace it.

if you do decide to go the immersion tank route (and to my mind its the simplest and cheapest) option, as I said earlier, make sure its fitted to a solid wall, not a partition wall. It will also require two people present because even empty the tank is very heavy to lift into position onto the wall bracket(s). Also if it should ever need replacing be sure to drain it first again because of the weight.

fb

Like 0      
16 Jan 2011 5:04 PM by amep75 Star rating. 79 posts Send private message

someone selling gas bottles easy peasy

Like 0      
16 Jan 2011 8:05 PM by amep75 Star rating. 79 posts Send private message

the link didnt past they were on friday ads

Like 0      
17 Jan 2011 10:41 PM by Trocy Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Thanks again for all the advice, I will let you know how I get on! 

Faro, not sure anyone will want my water heater if they are going to end up with the same problems I'm having!  I'll certainly give it a go though! 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Mini bus hire - 5 posts
legal advice sought - 3 posts
UK car swap for Spanish - 0 posts
A speedy option - 0 posts
Easyjet Sale? - 3 posts
So That's Where He Went after leaving So Many in the Lurch! - 10 posts
Spanish Wills - 46 posts
ENDESA ELECTRICITY BILLS - 35 posts
Royal Vinedos del mar - 0 posts
Staircase - 0 posts
Translation of name - 2 posts
Error posting to a community forum - 3 posts
Fuente del Conde, Iznajar Cordoba - 3 posts
duty free in gibraltar !!! - 11 posts
thalassia spa san pedro - 5 posts
Social Security Doctor - 2 posts
New CLS threatening letter to complete on property - 5 posts
6/7 seater car wanted. - 0 posts
Property Management San Javier/Los Alcázares - 8 posts
David Lidington and Diego Lopez Garrido, Ministers for Europe - 6 posts
winter rental advice - 2 posts
For Sale Mercedes E320 CDi Automatic - 0 posts
new corvera airpot - 16 posts
do you usually visit http://www.segundamano.es/? - 4 posts
Making banks accountable - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 17

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x