duty free in gibraltar !!!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Jan 2011 12:00 AM by lewy Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

hi , im coming over to spain flying into  gibraltar and ive been told that duty free is very cheap there , can anybody tell me latest up to date prices for tobacco and cigarettes, is it true though, you are only allowed 1 tobacco (200 pack) or 1 tobacco(5 pack) also only 1 litre of spirits ,  also is electrical items ie mobile phones , cameras a lot cheaper there ive heard mixed reports !!! thanks guys

Like 0      
12 Jan 2011 12:02 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

You are only allowed the old 'duty free' allowances on Cigarettes, Tobacco, Spirits, etc, when crossing the border into Spain, or purchase in Gibraltar before you fly back to the UK!

200 Cigarettes or 250 gms Tobacco - not both, and only 1 Litre of Spirits.

Last time we looked it was about £15 for 200 Cigarettes (popular brands) and about £10 for 250 gms of Tobacco.

You can purchase these items cheaper on the High Street or at Morrisons Supermarket (cheapest I've seen).

As for Electronic goods, they are cheaper than in the UK providing you haggle, and are good at it! This is limited to a total cost of £145.

Taken from Gibraltar Information page:

CUSTOMS ALLOWANCE - IMPORTATION FROM GIBRALTAR INTO UK.

Tobacco Products:

200 cigarettes or

100 cigarillos or

50 cigars or

250 gms of tobacco

Alcoholic Beverages:

2 litres still table wine

1 litre of spirits or strong liqueurs (over 22% vol.), or

2 litres of fortified wine, sparkling wine or other liqueurs

Perfume:
60cc of perfume
250cc of toilet water

THE ABOVE INFORMATION IS ONLY TO BE USED AS A GUIDELINE, WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT ANY ENQUIRIES REGARDING IMPORTATION OF GOODS FROM GIBRALTAR INTO SPAIN BE DIRECTED TO SPANISH CUSTOMS AT THE FRONTIER. THE GIBRALTAR TOURIST BOARD DOES NOT ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY CHANGES TO THE ABOVE.

Other goods

Articles of any description to a total value of £145.

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 12/01/2011.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
12 Jan 2011 1:40 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

We went to Gib last year and bought a really nice camara, done our best haggling and thought we had a good deal.

Got home and thought I would just check out how much we had saved, went onto Jessops website and it was 30 quid cheaper !

s

Like 0      
12 Jan 2011 1:47 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

14 Jan 2011 1:46 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

"We went to Gib last year and bought a really nice camera, done our best haggling and thought we had a good deal.

Got home and thought I would just check out how much we had saved, went onto Jessops website and it was 30 quid cheaper !"

Work out in advance what you want, print of some prices from UK High Street retailers, and then go shopping on the Gib High Street.

If they need to sell, then you will get a better deal. Don't be ashamed to go from shop to shop, and haggle at each, and mention that a different shop will give you a better price. Quite often when I've left a shop without buying, they write a better price on a shop card, so I show this around the other shops.

Just make sure it's the same model and check to see if it's a Grey Import, as if it is, then tell them your concerned about it being so, and then start to haggle some more!  

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 14/01/2011.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
24 Jan 2011 11:57 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Actually went shopping in Morrisons a couple of days ago, and asked how much Tobacco was!

Golden Virginia is now £34.50 for 500gms.

So it's gone up quite considerably!

Mind you, in Spain it is now 67,50€.

Having said all that, I think it's now nearly £13 for 50gms in the UK.... ouch!

Good thing I don't smoke!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
24 Jan 2011 3:08 PM by Tamsin Star rating. 169 posts Send private message

Saying that my husband bought 250 gms of  Samson tobacco  for our son - in - law for £6  last Monday  at Gib airport Duty Free   ??? - beat that .   He said GV was £10 .

I can vouch for what is being said - GIB is more expensive for most things - not sure about jewellery and watches etc whereby you have quite a choice.   My husband has always bought his watches in Gib.

There is a 50% sale of designer sunglasses in one of the opticians in the main street at the moment until stock goes   -  I don' t  think that can be beaten . It  is  a genuine sale as I know  the owner .

Like 0      
24 Jan 2011 4:00 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

TechNoape,

Mind you, in Spain it is now 67,50€.

Having said all that, I think it's now nearly £13 for 50gms in the UK.... ouch!

Good thing I don't smoke!

But in 2002 it was £11,50 in the UK so it's gone up by 13,6%. Whereas in spain it was 23 € so the increase is 193,47% !!   Bit of a difference. Same with fuel !  Tax equalisation maybe ?

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
24 Jan 2011 5:35 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Hi guslopez,

Yes! It is a tax equalisation on tobacco, which is being imposed by the Tobacco Manufacturers Association.

I will say one thing though, I don't remember tobacco being that expensive in the UK back in 2002!?!

And please everyone, let's not let this thread degenerate into a 'where is it cheaper the UK or Spain' scenario, as there are far too many threads on EOS with an equal amount of differing opinions.

I was merely posting a more concise observation for on the OP's question, and also making a jest on the cost of tobacco now, where ever you are!

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 24/01/2011.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
24 Jan 2011 5:43 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Hi Tamsin,

Yes! It is still 'duty free' at Gib Airport, however as you know you are still only allowed the old 'duty free' allowances when leaving the country!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
15 Feb 2011 7:34 PM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar

A word of warning!

There are Gib cigs for sale in various places along CDS. They are tempting because they are cheaper than Spanish duty paid ones. Be warned that UK Border Control have x-ray equipment in various airports and do randomly screen bags from Malaga. If they pull you in and you have more than the allowance detailed by Technoape below you will loose the lot...

David

Like 0      
15 Feb 2011 7:49 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Davmunster

quote...and do randomly screen bags from Malaga....quote

and anywhere else they feel like...

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

thalassia spa san pedro - 5 posts
Social Security Doctor - 2 posts
New CLS threatening letter to complete on property - 5 posts
6/7 seater car wanted. - 0 posts
Property Management San Javier/Los Alcázares - 8 posts
David Lidington and Diego Lopez Garrido, Ministers for Europe - 6 posts
winter rental advice - 2 posts
For Sale Mercedes E320 CDi Automatic - 0 posts
new corvera airpot - 16 posts
do you usually visit http://www.segundamano.es/? - 4 posts
Making banks accountable - 6 posts
moving to spain - 0 posts
New Facebook Scams - including Malware - 3 posts
Smoking ban, Does it apply to communities - 2 posts
22 Degrees C - 3 posts
Electronic Cigarettes - Will they be banned to????? - 17 posts
Healthcare - Advice please (Costa del Sol) - 0 posts
eyeonspain iphone app - 8 posts
reliable lawyer,Caravaca de la cruz area - 1 posts
Villarenters booking calendar - 0 posts
Tax Liability when operating a UK registered Ltd Co. in Spain?? - 10 posts
The parents fault and not spain faults ??? - 10 posts
Peninsula Properties Granada -Medina Golf Development - 14 posts
Name That House (the one without Pine & Blue} - 6 posts
Ryanair - Durham Tees Valley + Easy Jet Murcia? - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x