How can I get a better price on the ski pass for Sierra Nevada?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Jan 2011 12:00 AM by samcampbell Star rating in Costa Del Sol. 136 posts Send private message

samcampbell´s avatar

Thought I would go to Sierra Nevada on Kings, as hopefully it will be fairly quiet, HOWEVER the day passes are soo expensive it beggers belief!!

Does anybody know of any discount schemes, or is it cheaper if you are a resident etc etc.

Thanks, Sam

Sam Campbell Business 1st...

mail: info@business1st.es

www.business1st.es

Like 0      
03 Jan 2011 2:08 AM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

Hi can you let me know if you go  skiing to Sierra Nevada  what it is like as i am going there in march for a few days thanks Irene

Like 0      
03 Jan 2011 3:27 PM by PeterInSpain Star rating in Marbella, Spain. 39 posts Send private message

We went for a few days in mid December ( susbsequently discovered its marginally cheaper to go what is termed mid or low season i.e. avoid bank holidays, Saturdays etc). Next time we are planning to go Monday/Tuesday out of school hols., I know that's not possible for all but its worthwhile knowing.

It wasn't cheap but was a great experience, we got the ski passes from the credit card machines in the main square, no cost saving but there was no queue and a really helpful member of staff to talk us through it. From memory it was about €40 each for the day...

We are not experts by any stretch of the imagination, but we had a great time and got the most we could for our money.

sierranevada.es for all the webcams/info etc.

Cheers, Peter

Like 0      
03 Jan 2011 6:55 PM by raileng Star rating. 70 posts Send private message

Hi, we went last year and will be going again in February. I use the attached link for information about the prices and calendar etc.

http://www.britishskicenter.co.uk/en/lift-passes

Regards, raileng

Like 0      
03 Jan 2011 8:14 PM by irenemontague Star rating in liverpool/carvajal . 794 posts Send private message

Hi i read yesterday when it snows the police are on the roads checking you have snow chains on and the garages on the road up to the ski area charge a lot for them but if you have a 4x4 or Jeep you don't need them.i also read there is a offer for a day pass for about 28 euros not sure if it is midweek Irene

Like 0      
04 Jan 2011 12:17 AM by lgardner Star rating in Balsall Common & J13. 67 posts Send private message

We have just got back from Spain and went skiing to Sierra Nevada for 3 days, the conditions were fantastic.  The lifts queues on the slopes were very busy but we were there at peak time.  The roads up to the resort were clear of snow and we didnt need chains despite there having been a heavy snowfall the day before.  The resort is expensive to stay, eat & drink but we loved it there.  The British Ski Centre were fantastic & we organised lessons through them for our daughter.   If anyone knows any good places / contacts to stay there please reply as we would love to go again.

Like 0      
04 Jan 2011 10:51 AM by SoleMadrid Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hi, I work in Madrid during the week and go down to Sierra Nevada almost every weekend as I'm also a ski instructor in Escuela Oficial. The British Ski School is fantastic too, and I know them very well. The hostal El Duende Blanco is very nice, small and familiar but very charming, warm and good price. It's in the first stop of the chair lift that goes up to the resort, or if it's closed you can also go by walking as it's not far! If you don't mind staying in Granada there are more opportunities to get the best price, in appartments. There is a small village called Monachil, it has a river and it's very nice. It takes 25 minutes to get to Sierra Nevada but the stay costs half. There is another way across the countryside, and you go up faster, it's called El Purche and close to the petrol station of the main road that goes up is the junction of both roads. Ask me if you need information about anything!

Like 0      
04 Jan 2011 10:59 AM by advisor Star rating in London most of the t.... 311 posts Send private message

Questions!

is it economically worth visiting for 3 days?

In light of ski hire, lift passes etc?

Is it a fairly easy drive from Malaga especially the parts where snow chains are required?

I understand in relation to many ski resorts it is quite small in regard to the number of runs-what types are their ie black,s reds, greens/blues?

From when does the season start and end?

tia

Nobody plans to fail, many fail to plan, sadly the result is the same.

Like 0      
04 Jan 2011 12:18 PM by SoleMadrid Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Normally it is less expensive during the week than during weekends, but sometimes you can find good packs and it worths 3 days!

Is is very easy to drive from Malaga, it's about 120 km until Granada and then around 45 minutes to get there (the resort). The parts where the use of chains is needed are wide and there is no problem with that! The snow machines are cleaning the roads constantly.

There is a lot of snow now, the conditions are very good and, if the weather is good, Sierra Nevada is one of the best ski resorts! It's also good fun and the slopes are blue and red the main number of them, there are several "areas" i.e. La laguna de las Yeguas, which is red. Montebajo, which is blue, and so on. Then there are a few blacks, and a few greens: that's the area Borreguiles, just when you arrive from the lift (cabin). There are several reds on the left hand side of the resort, El Aguila i.e. and the lift Virgen de las Nieves, which isn't very crowded normally. I invite you to go to that area, good choice! 

The season starts the first week of December, there is a bank holiday, El Puente de la Inmaculada, the dates of the holidays are the 6th and the 8th Dec. It ends after Easter, and if the snow allows lasts more, until the 2nd May, which there is another bank Holiday, the 1st and 2nd of May.

I know someone,  Luis from Sierra Nevada Resort, he works well and has a wide range of properties to rent, if you want to contact him directly anytime you want to ask for prices or you ask me. I can't include an email because it says my account isn't confirmed yet, but if you look it up on the web, you will find everything, Sierra Nevada Resort, and you ask Luis everything you need and you can tell him you come on behalf os Sole from Madrid.

Like 0      
04 Jan 2011 1:42 PM by PeterInSpain Star rating in Marbella, Spain. 39 posts Send private message

Oh, just remembered one good tip - we were all set up for going for dinner each night.....Subsequently discovered a few (many!) nice bars, with good atmospheres and nice people, where you got decent sized tapas with every drink - saved a bit of the budget as after a few we didn't need dinner!! Tried a nice restaurant one night but the bars were much more lively

Like 0      
04 Jan 2011 1:46 PM by SoleMadrid Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Yes, El Cartujano for nice tapas and very cheap!!! but it gets very crowded!!!

Like 0      
04 Jan 2011 2:46 PM by advisor Star rating in London most of the t.... 311 posts Send private message

thank you guys,

considering all ski stuff etc is in the uk and not at house in spain and if we took a car it would basically "sit there" unused for 3-5 days would it be better to fly into Grenada and then try to get a taxi or coach to the resort itself?

Like 0      
05 Jan 2011 8:50 AM by SoleMadrid Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

From the UK you have many more flights to Malaga than to Granada, I don't think there are direct flights to Granada, you might have to go to Madrid first... On the one hand it's better to go to Malaga as you don't have to stop and wait for the other plane, it's easy to rent a car and drive to the resort. But on the other hand it's also easy to arrange a taxi that takes you from Granada airport for less price than regular ones (aprox. 80€ o/w on regular, could be 50% less with private), there are also buses but it's necessary to check the timetables. The most important thing is to check the flights, either to Malaga or to Granada, the times, the price and take into account the time you need from Malaga to the resort, renting the car, and so on. If it's not too expensive to Granada, maybe it's better to fly there, even if you don't go directly. And you don't need to worry about the car, as sometimes it's hard to find a parking place and you need to go to the public parking (20€ / day aprox.) When you have fixed dates, I can check which is the best option and help you to decide!

Like 0      
05 Jan 2011 11:47 AM by waterdog Star rating in Malaga. 12 posts Send private message

Don't know what age you are, but pensioners get a 50% discount and a half day pass is also available.  A full days ski-ing is very tiring for older people so this is a super deal.  By the time I have driven from Malaga and had a bite to eat it is time for the afternoon session - just right.

Like 0      
05 Jan 2011 12:08 PM by advisor Star rating in London most of the t.... 311 posts Send private message

thanks guys

it may seem strange but now is the time I book several flights etc for later in the year, plan would be to fly direct to granada (which we can do) and book in for 5 days inclusive of Xmas Day 2012.

Rationale here being if I do not book flights now and leave until when we want to go I look at the prices and decide its not worth it!

Like 0      
06 Jan 2011 10:37 PM by samcampbell Star rating in Costa Del Sol. 136 posts Send private message

samcampbell´s avatar

Thank you Waterdog for your info, however I have not quite reached pensionable age just yet!!

Decided in the end it was just too expensive to go up there for a day with the cost of the ski pass, especially since I am off to France skiing for a week in Semana Blanca and the ski pass is actually 16€ cheaper.

Have fun everyone who is off to Seirra Nevada this season....

Feliz Reyes!!!

Sam Campbell Business 1st...

mail: info@business1st.es

www.business1st.es

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Summer job - 0 posts
english electrician will i be able to work in spain? - 0 posts
New Case Law November 2010 on Banks risponsabilities - 45 posts
Torresta - 1 posts
If you missed this, here you are .. the fireworks in London at midnight. - 4 posts
Let me introduce myself. - 4 posts
Wanted to buy in Malaga Area - 2 posts
Last Christmas - 0 posts
Surgery in Spain - 4 posts
Grupo Domingo - 2 posts
tv/sat reccomendations - 0 posts
May we all have a vision... Happy New Year - 8 posts
Struggling to pay spanish mortgages - 4 posts
Longterm let wanted - 3 posts
Register cottage 'change of use' so we can rent it out - 0 posts
The cost of transferring money from La Caixa to Natwest via online banking. - 5 posts
spanish lawyer will not refund money - 11 posts
Advice - 0 posts
Kelly's, Monte Duquesa, Manilva area - 4 posts
Aifos - Bahia del Golf, Almerima - 0 posts
President caught for embezzelment - 1 posts
COMBITRANS - anyone used them before?? - 0 posts
Peugeot 1007 FOR SALE! - 0 posts
Moving from Spain - many items for sale! - 0 posts
"Embargo" Cany anyone help ? - 15 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x