Missled by agents

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Dec 2010 10:23 AM by Jimmyr Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Faro thank you for these truthfull words of what is to be excpected from the agents in spain, all has become so very very clear as to why so many people are being ripped off and have to leave spain, it will make fine reading elseware.

Like 0      
30 Dec 2010 10:34 AM by David W Star rating. 199 posts Send private message

David W´s avatar

From your last post it strikes me you have some different agenda than asking for genuine advise

However if your original post is accurate you have not been the victim of theft just your own stupidity

You  had the chance to check out what you were told and not part with any monies till you had all the information you required in writing

Many other genuine buyers have not been so fortunate!!!!!!

Like 0      
30 Dec 2010 10:47 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

whatever Jimmy's motives it's funny the general trend of the responses in that it's not "oh my god how could this happen this is terrible" but more along the lines of "more fool you for going it alone and believing a word uttered by a Spanish estate agent".

Like 0      
30 Dec 2010 2:26 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

1.  Of course it is correct to double check anything you have been told by someone who is trying to sell you a property.  This is not just in Spain but happens in UK as well.  How many people have had the truth embellished by an estate agent?  Of course they do, it's their job to sell the property and they say things like you'll be on a good bus route without saying that it's only once a week.  Or the schools are excellent when they have just suspended 5 kids for bullying etc.  It is up to the buyer to check things out.

2.  The community fees of 600 euros a year seems excellent value considering the pools, the gardens and the security.  OK, you were told 300 but this would have been the time to ask someone in the area what they are paying.  If you can't afford the 50 euro a month for these services then, as stated, maybe getting a place in Spain is not for you.  You can't really expect to pay for only the time you are there.  Also think about the other bills you will be getting, your electric and water standing orders, for example.  Even when you aren't using the utilities, you still have to pay for them just like in UK.  Your council tax, IBI, SUMA, etc.  

3.  Regardless of what anyone tells you they are paying, these community costs can up, and do, on a regular basis.  The pool maintenance man has to be paid, the communal electricity has to be paid even when the costs go up.  Our community fees were 96 euros a quarter when we moved in, they are now 136 euros a quarter in just 2 years.  This accounts for the higher electric prices, the increases in VAT etc.  You must budget for these increases and, if you are saying 50 euros a month is too much now, then maybe you should not be looking for a second home.

4.  When you first move into a property, UK or Spain, it's like opening the doors and throwing money out at everyone.  The gardens, the lighting, the outside furniture, the signing of contracts for the phone, the TV, the electric, the water etc,  The solicitors saying we need a bit more for this and a bit more for that and so on.  The VAT to pay on this, the VAT to pay on that etc.

The above will happen regardless of the country you are in.  Buying a second home, for short or long stays, is a financial commitment.  Those who have 40 or 50 grand as their life savings and expect it to cover absolutely everything are living in a fools paradise.  Again, if 50 euros a month is too much to pay for security, for having pools and gardens looked after, for having electric lighting and electric gates, for having the streets cleaned regularly and so on then don't even bother looking for a second home on a community.  And if you can afford one of those detached villas not on a community, remember you will have to pay for the pool man yourself, the security yourself and not have the pleasure of communal gardens.  

Like 0      
31 Dec 2010 1:23 AM by thespanishbrick Star rating in london-valencia. 1 posts Send private message

I would advice not to go along without a lawyer and not to be too emotionally when buying. There is plenty of properties in Spain and the emotions will make you rush and to make mistakes

Like 0      
31 Dec 2010 1:14 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

I've got no dog in this fight, but 10 euros a week or so doesn't seem much if it includes a pool, large gardens and security. I googled for a moment and paste a result below. I see it says you can expect "as little as 50 euros a month (600 pa)  in a modest apartment block."  Perhaps there was a misunderstanding - as often happens when things aren't put in writing - in which case there might well be an equally angry agent telling his wife "Can you believe, I had this Brit who tells me he thought I told him the community fees were 5 euros a week??"

How much are the community fees?

Ask your seller or the estate agent for their last paid-up community fee receipt. The fee depends on your quota, or participation share, in the property. The fee can vary from as little as 50 euros a month in a modest apartment block up to 500 euros a month o even more on a luxury urbanisation.
Example of normal community fee in good and luxury properties.
2 bedrooms apartment in Hacienda Playa in Elvira has 130 euros/months.
3 bedrooms penthouse in Monte Halcones in Marbella has 400 euros/months.
2 bedrooms apartment in hacienda Elvira in Elvira has 120 euros/months.
3 bedrooms apartment in Los Granados de Cabopino has 260 euros/moths.

Like 0      
31 Dec 2010 6:18 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear all,

much good advice..................

BUT WHY OH WHY MUST SOME MEMBERS INSIST ON ABUSING THE UNFORTUNATE VICTIM?????????????????????????

Having sold up his UK home he is seeking help from other ex-pats no matter how unrealistically.

If you cannot help, why not just say so without the insult and abuse.

He clearly needs a little help from an intermediary, can not some local member oblige?

Isn't that what ex-pats are supposed to do for each other?

Can we not have a little of the spirit suggested by Maria?

Go to it someone.

Regards

Norman

Like 0      
01 Jan 2011 12:06 AM by David W Star rating. 199 posts Send private message

David W´s avatar

He has not sold up at home

He has not been robbed in Spain

I'm convinced all he is as you Normansands would say is a spinner

He posts the same dubious crap on other forums

His posts are full of s**t

Any way Gatwick for early flight tomorrow last minute trip so bed it is

HNY to all

Like 0      
01 Jan 2011 10:02 AM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear All,

well one member has gone from a position of "some doubt" to "certainty" in the next post and is sure we are being hoodwinked.

I, perhaps like others took this to be genuine.............

"I sold my apartment in London and would like to have a better standard of living than i had in london, worked all, yes all my working life, and hence would like to live what is left of it in a warmer climate than the UK, therefore i know what i  need to have a nicer retirement,"

I cannot imagine what exactly he would be spinning but local contact via a pm perhaps followed by a telephone call or email should not be too arduous.

Help or expose.......................go to it.

Regards and happy new year

Norman

This message was last edited by normansands on 01/01/2011.

Like 0      
01 Jan 2011 3:46 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I somehow doubt whether Jimmy will be back as I'm reading the other forum where he's not best pleased with posts here.

Like 0      
01 Apr 2011 5:39 PM by Damatt Star rating in South Wales/Algorfa. 78 posts Send private message

From my files, I dealt with jimmyr in July 2010 when he was looking for an apartment for his brother in Punta Prima for €70000, I provided lots of information but he never came back.

Like 0      
08 Apr 2011 10:52 AM by Sneezey Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

Sneezey´s avatar

Unfortunately, in Spain, there are still no legal requirements for any sort of qualification to enable a person to open an Estate Agents. Anyone can do it, that's why it's so important to contract an independent Lawyer. Conveyancing itself is not difficult but if you don't speak the lingo, it's hard to know what to do. There are two professional bodies that an estate Agent can belong to, one is GIPE and the other is API at least if they belong to one of these groups you would have some come back if there were a problem at any stage, but even so you would still need an independant Lawyer.

Even now is not too late, there are Lawyers that will do the work and charge you when you complete the sale, they would give you a quote so that you know exactly how much it is going to cost you to buy the property, usually the costs for buying are about 10% of the selling price, that should cover everything, including the Lawyer. Of course you would have to pay a little bit more if you took a mortgage to enable you to buy the property.

Most properties, even independent villas pay community charges, which you have to pay whether you use all of the facilities or not. To be honest with you 600 euro is very cheap. Don't forget you also have; rates; rubbish collection;  water; electricity; and gas to pay every month.

To be fair there are some good Estate Agents around if you are lucky enough to find one! They would always advise that you use a Lawyer of your choice. Along the Costa del Sol there is a good group of lawyers Marbella Solicitors you could check out their web page. They don't charge for advice so you have nothing to loose. I'm sure that if you are in a different area someone could reccomend a good English speaking Lawyer to you. I think that really is your next step, whichever way you go you need professional help to prevent you loosing all of your money.

There are many people who have bought in Spain that are happy with their choice, unfortunately they don't usually comment on bloggs as they have no need to, sadly we only see the bad side of the Spanish market....

Like 0      
08 Apr 2011 11:08 AM by Damatt Star rating in South Wales/Algorfa. 78 posts Send private message

I can't agree more with what sneezy has said. I speak from the a buyers point and a sellers point as I do both. Never do the purchase without the use of an INDEPENDANT solicitor and mortgage provider. If you use one who is provided by the agent, then who is that Solicitor looking after a person who may send him 30 clients per year or a person who they may never see again.

It was the same with the big boys when they hit town, we can provide you with an "all in" service, we will pay for your flights, hotel and get you blotto on cheap Spanish wine and provide nice food, then sign you up for a property you may not get for 2 years.That property may be over your budget but you get swept away with the process.

We always say take your time, think, think and think again, sleep on on it without the wine, do your sums and then buy if you can afford it. It is better to do that than loose it in a couple of years when the mortgage goes up.

Thankfully, not all Agents are rouges or out for an easy time and many of those who are left are people who have been around for many years and have not run away when the going gets tough.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Property abuse - 0 posts
Advice On Moving To Spain - 7 posts
King´s Christmas message - 0 posts
Summer Job Pleaseeee :) - 0 posts
Ryanair to Murcia 2011 - 12 posts
Equipment Wanted for Stroke Victim - 1 posts
proof of deposit paid! - 0 posts
new charge for holding debit card - 7 posts
Dodgy PM - 3 posts
Heres one guy unaffected by closed airports... - 1 posts
JOY TO ALL OF COURSE - 0 posts
One Unhappy Chappy-CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP? - 13 posts
El Gordo 2010 - 1 posts
The true spirit of Christmas ..thanks to members like Irene & Alan - 4 posts
Christmas letter by Maria de Castro - 15 posts
Runway heating - 6 posts
Codeur - 5 posts
Web Domains - 8 posts
Europa Network - 4 posts
Online shopping in Spain - does it work? - 11 posts
The bank will not pay Community fees it owes on apartments it owns - 9 posts
car transport / recovery - 0 posts
Indoor swimming pool - 4 posts
villa rental prices - 7 posts
What are lawyers doing to address the delays in the Justice Administration System? - 56 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 33

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x