The true spirit of Christmas ..thanks to members like Irene & Alan

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Dec 2010 12:00 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Irene & Alan, who are residents of Formentera Del Segura & members of our forum, have to be commended for working hard to help 22 young people aged 7 - 17 residing in the EMAUS children's home in Elche.

My husband & I met Irene & Alan recently when we donated a TV to the home in the hope they could make use of it as it was not needed by us. They were on their way to accept gifts for the young people from The Christmas Shop then they were going on to Elche to teach the youngsters English.  

Taken from The Round Town News which is out tomorrow.

Christmas presents galore!

THANKS TO The Christmas Shop in San Luis, near Torrevieja, more than 300 needy children will get a Christmas present this year. The shop organised a Christmas present donation campaign in November, heavily promoted on TKO and in the pages of RTN and a total of 340 Christmas presents for children of all ages was collected.

Last week, RTN went along to the shop to see the presents being distributed to representatives of four charities who will pass on the gifts to children in need and in their care.

The children’s homes in Gandia and Elche and the ‘Caritas’ charities of both Algorfa and Rojales, were the lucky recipients and as well as the presents, the children who live at the EMAUS children’s home in Elche will also receive a pair of pyjamas each, courtesy of Lucy from the Christmas Shop. She told RTN: “When I asked them exactly what the children needed, they said that they were in dire need of some decent pyjamas, so I went to Primark and bought 28 pairs of different pyjamas in different age ranges, so that all the children at the home have a new pair for Christmas.”

HAMPERS

The present donation campaign started after Irene from EMAUS and her husband Alan went into the shop as customers. They started talking with Lucy and the other members of staff at the shop and the idea was born. Irene told RTN: “There are 22 Spanish children currently at the home, ranging in age from seven to 17 years. For a lot of them this is their first Christmas in care, so it is absolutely fabulous that the customers of the Christmas Shop, the readers of RTN and the listeners of TKO have been so generous.”

Colin Ranson, President of the Lo Crispin Residents Association, was at the presentation on behalf of the Caritas in Algorfa. He told RTN: “There are 15 families in Algorfa who will all receive a hamper worth €100 this Christmas as part of an initiative between The Christmas Shop and the Lo Crispin Residents Association. And all the children will also receive a present, which will make the whole family’s Christmas so much better this year.”

FROM SWEDEN WITH LOVE

Lucy has even organised for 60 dog food Christmas stockings to be made up for two of the local animal charities. Both SAT and Animal Aid received the stockings which will be given to the abandoned dogs in their care over the Christmas period. Lucy commented: “Everyone has been so generous this year and I would like to say a great big thank you to all the customers of The Christmas Shop who have donated to not only the Christmas present campaign but also with dog food and treats.”

One Swedish lady donated a whole huge bag of presents. She got all her friends in Sweden to donate some money and then went out and bought 30 individual presents, wrapped them all herself and put them in a big bag with a tag on it saying, ‘From Santa, Lapland, Sweden.’

A very happy Christmas Irene & Alan & a wonderful New Year.

Like 0      
23 Dec 2010 11:48 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Thanks for posting this.  The world certainly needs more people like Irene and Alan. 

It's wonderful to know that there are such caring people out there who do what they can to help these children.

We have been putting some ideas together to do something similar during the course of 2011 via EOS and Onyom.  We all should do what we can to give kids like these as much support and love as we possibly can.

Well done Irene and Alan and all those involved.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
24 Dec 2010 12:04 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

What a lovely read.

Love the photo with all the presents for the children.    They will be thrilled.

Well done to everyone involved that have worked so hard to give so many a lovely Christmas.

Keep up the good work Irene & Alan, hope you have a very merry Christmas and a healthy New year xx

Like 0      
24 Dec 2010 2:42 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Irene & Alan, a huge' WELL DONE' and to all who contributed to this.

My 16 year old daughter and 4 friends have spent 3 evenings in -3 to -8 temperatures, Carol singing to raise money for a childrens charity in the UK. They have raised over £300.00, so far and I feel they represent a side of some teenagers not always noticed by the media.

Merry Xmas all.

Like 0      
24 Dec 2010 7:33 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

I would like to add my "Well Done" to the tribute to Irene and Alan.  Happy Christmas to both of you!

As I have said elsewhere, we decided to contribute a few toys to a local charity as we live inland, nowhere near Irene & Alan.  We mentioned the collection to our friend Jaqui, who has an 11 year old daughter called Melissa.  Jaqui said she didn't think Melissa would have any toys that she would be willing to part with, but to her surprise and delight Melissa filled three large bags with toys.  We are all very proud of Melissa, who has shown the true spirit of Christmas too,

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Christmas letter by Maria de Castro - 15 posts
Runway heating - 6 posts
Codeur - 5 posts
Web Domains - 8 posts
Europa Network - 4 posts
Online shopping in Spain - does it work? - 11 posts
The bank will not pay Community fees it owes on apartments it owns - 9 posts
car transport / recovery - 0 posts
Indoor swimming pool - 4 posts
villa rental prices - 7 posts
What are lawyers doing to address the delays in the Justice Administration System? - 56 posts
PJ's Car Hire - 4 posts
RECOMMENDED OIL CENTRAL HEATING ENGINEERS IN LOS ALCAZARES AREA - 0 posts
Bank Charges in Spain where can I find a list? - 12 posts
Iberdrola Web Site - 4 posts
1.8 metre satalite dish wanted - 7 posts
What does our Prime Minister do ? ? - 2 posts
winter arrived~ - 2 posts
hello,friends! - 1 posts
1.8 metre satalite dish wanted - 1 posts
Freesat tv - 2 posts
We're moving to Spain! - 4 posts
Wanted Wardrobe & Chest of Drawers - 0 posts
NIE form required for long term rental? - 11 posts
Maria de Castro in the Wall Street Journal - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x