Web Domains

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Dec 2010 12:00 AM by Manyarna Star rating in the UK- Heart is in .... 59 posts Send private message

I was just wondering  what perceptions were of websites when looking for services etc in spain. ie if you saw an aircon company in google would you care what the domain ended in?

Does the domain end really matter? influence anyone

The  com choice has gone to an american company so im considering the next best thing;

Co   does this sound / look english only or is it being used in spain?

Es   does this sound / look spanish only and would english speaking only expats be put off ?

Eu   this really hasnt proved popular in the UK.

They all have pros and cons and different costs but would be interested to hear any pointers or opinions

Like 0      
22 Dec 2010 7:22 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I would always give precedence (rightly or wrongly) to a company with its own domain name and not one hosted on a free host (i.e. Tripod etc). You get to choose your name and typing it in the browser is a lot easier too. If you are a business in Spain, a .co.uk domain is no use to you really as it is for UK based businesses/ persons, although much cheaper to register at about £6 for 2 years. You would be better off with the .es or .eu. Depending on your hosting package, why not purchase all the varieties you can and park them so that they all display your webpage?

The domain ending isn't so important, you just need to make sure your SEO gets you up the ranks in the search engines. I know Google is the big one, but I am finding a lot more hits over the last year from Bing. 

Mark

Like 0      
23 Dec 2010 10:15 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

The default choice is always the .com and if it's gone then try it with hyphens or with your company extension such as "companynameltd.com" or "companynamesl.com".

I would avoid .co as people can think that it's been spelt wrongly and enter .com instead.

If your main target customers are in the UK then you should definitely go for the .co.uk version. This will also help you rank better in Google.co.uk search results.

If they are in Spain then going for the .es version at least shows you are based in Spain and you are a business here.

To be honest though, the most important consideration is to know which country your target market is in.  If your website is hosted in the US and you have a .com then you won't do so well in Google.co.uk or Google.es.  Choose the right hosting location or the right domain extension for your target country.  That's the most important decision you need to make.

Hope that helps.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
23 Dec 2010 2:15 PM by Manyarna Star rating in the UK- Heart is in .... 59 posts Send private message

some good points that i hadnt fully considered,

Whats the general feeling about  .Eu domians as i know that in the UK web designers arent that keen? where do they sit with google searches etc? how do people feel when they see a EU domain?  I also didnt think that hyphens where popular in the names hence i had avoided them but that would get me the couk version

My Market will be largely english speakers some based in spain  but im sure a large amount based in the UK with holiday homes in Spain looking searching for a service  in spain but hopefully with a growing percentage of spanish owners too over time.

I could as Mark suggests go for both the EU and the ES but was just worried about what the UK people would think when searching. Is the rule for searching if i host an EU name in the Uk then thats the search engine where it will mainly appear.

It sounds like the ultimate way maybe an es version hosted in spain and a co/com/co.uk or eu version hosted in the UK

appreciatte any advice.

Like 0      
23 Dec 2010 3:21 PM by philevans Star rating in Axminster Devon & Sa.... 187 posts Send private message

philevans´s avatar

I have a eu domain hosted in the UK. Still need to finish the site when I get time.  Google brings it up OK.  I think its important to have ta good META Description, so people read about location / activities within a few words. When I do searches I read the description regardless of extension.

What you see is what you get 

Like 0      
23 Dec 2010 4:24 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

If your target market is spain then .es is the one to go for. .eu has been slow to catch on but is slowly making an impact.

I would be very cautious about using a hyphenated version of an established .com address. There have been a number of cases brought to a successful conclusion where the original company have sued under Intellectual Property rules.

Frankly, if I find any company in Spain using a .co.uk address they immediately go on my 'suspect' list.

One has only got to look at the number of dodgy (?) property sales companies advertising their wares on this and other forum sites.

When a whois check reveals a UK registration address or worse still  a private reg. my alarm bells start ringing straight away...

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
23 Dec 2010 7:23 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

foxbat I actually don´t agree with your general comments regarding registering the .co.uk domain as surely you should register if available all of the available domains for your chosen company name in order to protect your branding

Again if you are using  domain hosting service the address shown may be their company address

On my own domains, for what it costs I own all of the variations as I do not want competition using the domain branding that I have worked so I think that your generaisation is a bit unfair

You can alswys re-direct a .es domain to a UK hosted site very easily

The only thing that makes me suspect on sites is when there is no phone numbers, contact address or when you can only contcat them voa a web form 

Like 0      
23 Dec 2010 8:00 PM by summer70 Star rating in Granada. 92 posts Send private message

summer70´s avatar

First of all, you need to buy every TLD possible which has your brand name and redirect them to your chosen main domain.

Second (although he's my husband, lol!), I disagree with Foxbat about the problems of using a hyphenated version.
Yes, the dot com owner could sue, but only if they have a Trademark on that domain and can prove they have an establisherd business which relies on the trademark.

In fact, if this is going to be a long-term business and is the website for your company, you really need to think about getting the name trademarked yourself - ASAP.

That way, if in future anyone buys a domain which is similar to yours, you can sue them

But even more important (IMHO) is the already-established dot com.
Can you easily overtake it in Google with whatever domain name you choose to use?
Does it have good content, good meta tags, lots of backlinks, etc...?
How old is this domain?
All that will matter when it comes to establishing your web presence.

Like 0      
24 Dec 2010 2:57 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Tongue in cheek response to Summer70...

You can see now why I refer to my other half as SWMBO...that whip can really sting!

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Europa Network - 4 posts
Online shopping in Spain - does it work? - 11 posts
The bank will not pay Community fees it owes on apartments it owns - 9 posts
car transport / recovery - 0 posts
Indoor swimming pool - 4 posts
villa rental prices - 7 posts
What are lawyers doing to address the delays in the Justice Administration System? - 56 posts
PJ's Car Hire - 4 posts
RECOMMENDED OIL CENTRAL HEATING ENGINEERS IN LOS ALCAZARES AREA - 0 posts
Bank Charges in Spain where can I find a list? - 12 posts
Iberdrola Web Site - 4 posts
1.8 metre satalite dish wanted - 7 posts
What does our Prime Minister do ? ? - 2 posts
winter arrived~ - 2 posts
hello,friends! - 1 posts
1.8 metre satalite dish wanted - 1 posts
Freesat tv - 2 posts
We're moving to Spain! - 4 posts
Wanted Wardrobe & Chest of Drawers - 0 posts
NIE form required for long term rental? - 11 posts
Maria de Castro in the Wall Street Journal - 4 posts
Instructions on Completing NIE Form - 8 posts
This might be of interest - 11 posts
Euribor on the rise - 0 posts
Brittany ferries discount - 27 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x