Bank Charges in Spain where can I find a list?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Dec 2010 12:00 AM by hypnoman80803 Star rating in Benahavis / San Pedr.... 5 posts Send private message

I am at my wits end. My bank is Spain BBVA is charging me ridiculous amounts of money to run a basic bank account with no special facilities like overdraft or credit cards. Is there anywhere I can go to find a list of Spanish Banks and their charges?

Richard

Like 0      
20 Dec 2010 2:00 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi Richard and welcome to the forum. 

You will find many, many rants here about Spanish banks but I doubt very much if the list you ask about exists.  Banks here charge a fortune for things we would expect to have for free, but then again, my bank does not seem to charge very much at all for a couple of days unauthorised overdraft.

I bank with Bancaja and they say there are no charges for common transactions, although I do pay 12€ per year for my debit card since becoming resident.  Have a look at their website, and those of the other main banks, and hopefully you wil get some information that way.

Good luck!

Like 0      
20 Dec 2010 2:21 PM by The_Lid Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi all

I have been using Citbank in Spain since I moved here 10 years ago and am happy with them.  The charges are very low but did decrease slightly when I started getting my salary paid in.  The charges were pretty low before then.

I also like that I can do free & real-time transfers between my UK and Spanish Citibank accounts

I've never used them but Santander are always advertising that their accounts have "0% commision".  Can't say what thay means in real life though.

Like 0      
20 Dec 2010 4:39 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

The 2 that spring to mind that have absolutely no charges are:

-Cajamar

-Barclays

Obviously Barclays is the better of the 2.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
21 Dec 2010 11:45 AM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Richard

Have you been into BBVA to query the charges and say that they seem far too high?  I have done that a couple of times and had them reduced!  I do agree though that it might be a good idea to change.  My husband banks with CajaMurcia and his charges are a lot less.  I think on the whole the Cajas seem to be the best bet.

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
21 Dec 2010 12:01 PM by hypnoman80803 Star rating in Benahavis / San Pedr.... 5 posts Send private message

Thanks all for your wonderful help and advice.

I will follow up on some of those ideas.

Regards Richard

Like 0      
21 Dec 2010 8:10 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I would avoid all Cajas personally, probably a time bomb waiting to go off with all their bad property loans. The big banks (BBVA and Santander) are probably happily charging whatever they want and getting away with it, as their customers no doubt are willing to pay a bit for security in uncertain times. I wasn't, so walked away from BBVA after many content years. Now with Solbank (part of Sabadell, also a pretty big one); Barclays are probably a good choice for foreigners as they do seem to make sure they have English speakers in their branches.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
21 Dec 2010 11:41 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Can andbody comment on the Barclays ' Not just any Current Account ' offering?

They seem to be offering no charges, free cards and a 3% cashback on bills paid by direct debit amongst other things

Seems to be to good to be true!

s

Like 0      
21 Dec 2010 11:45 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Yes have to agree we changed from the Bank of Valencia, to Barclays no charges at all and even some interest. Which seems amazing to me in Spain.  But as I have said before it could all change but it will do for now.

Pat 

Like 0      
22 Dec 2010 12:02 AM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Must have posted at the same time Team GB, yes I thought that when we changed but thought we would give them a try, been with them over a year now and everything has been fine  You do get interest and no charges they set all the direct debits up for us with no problems at all.  

Hope this helps.

Pat  

Like 0      
22 Dec 2010 2:34 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Pop in this week to complain and negotiate new charges and you will at least get a free bottle of wine.

If you have an X in your NIE/DNI then that translates extranjero and for the bank that's a licence to steal.

Spanish nationals do not pay these ridiculous charges and changing resident status does not automatically mean you change tariffs.

But you can negotiate.

Like 0      
22 Dec 2010 4:02 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Thanks Pat

I think its time we opened one of these accounts with Barclays.

S

Like 0      
22 Dec 2010 5:49 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi Team GB Good luck with it, you will need all your paperwork ie Utility bills etc!!!!!!.  I expect you know that.

Let us know how you get on

Pat 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Iberdrola Web Site - 4 posts
1.8 metre satalite dish wanted - 7 posts
What does our Prime Minister do ? ? - 2 posts
winter arrived~ - 2 posts
hello,friends! - 1 posts
1.8 metre satalite dish wanted - 1 posts
Freesat tv - 2 posts
We're moving to Spain! - 4 posts
Wanted Wardrobe & Chest of Drawers - 0 posts
NIE form required for long term rental? - 11 posts
Maria de Castro in the Wall Street Journal - 4 posts
Instructions on Completing NIE Form - 8 posts
This might be of interest - 11 posts
Euribor on the rise - 0 posts
Brittany ferries discount - 27 posts
Bristol to Alicante & Murcia flights up to Oct 27th 2011 - 0 posts
TDT HD Not Working - 5 posts
Zapa-Blair-O approves Electricity price increase... - 4 posts
EYE on Spain webcam - 16 posts
Malaga to Seville - 3 posts
Scam Warning - 2 posts
Have a Great Christmas Everyone - 20 posts
Watch out for retired people - 4 posts
Car hire at Murcia San Javier - 3 posts
Parking at Murcia San Javier - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x