Wall heaters

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Dec 2010 12:00 AM by Jeanie60 Star rating. 103 posts Send private message

Has any one used these  heaters?

I've seen simalar in the strores, they seem very apealing.

Are they realy cheaper to run.

Jeanie.

Like 0      
04 Dec 2010 1:39 PM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

I have clients in apartments that have had these installed in every room as advised but even with them on all day they still need to use extra heating from portable gas heaters

I reckon you would be better off with running the aircon on hot for a short burst to heat up the room then run it on 20 degrees to maintain the temp

I have one of the heaters myself but have never been impressed with them I think that carrefour do special offers on them for 59 Euros every so often

This message was last edited by fpegman on 04/12/2010.

Fred

Overseas Property Company

fred@overseaspropertycompany.com

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      
04 Dec 2010 2:06 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

If you do fit them, put some silver foil behind them or you'll end up heating next door instead.  We have one in the entrance but it didn't seem to make any difference until we did that.

Our best buy ever was a paraffin heater.  I was worried about the smell and the smoke but, with the newer types and the good quality paraffin, there is no smell at all and no smoke.  Really heats up our big living room (22 sq metre floor space) and doesn't dry up the air like the gas ones do.

Like 0      
04 Dec 2010 9:26 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

" reckon you would be better off with running the aircon on hot for a short burst to heat up the room then run it on 20 degrees to maintain the temp"

fpegman, Exactly!

That's what we did last winter.

We have four of the Low Energy Wall Heaters from Carrefour and they are very good, but as Bobaol said, put silver foil on the wall behind them so they throw all the heat out and up!

Remember houses in Southern Spain are designed to keep you cool during the summer, not warm during the winter, therefore you need to find all those 'air gaps' around doors and windows, and plug them! Also, if you don't use a real fire in the fire place, plug the chimney and also put an electric fire in the fire place!

You'll be amazed at the difference!

Our house is a nice 18 degrees at night and we haven't got the heaters on yet - but won't be long as 'tis a bit colder this year! But then again Northern Europe is in the middle of a 'deep freeze' for a few weeks.

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 04/12/2010.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
06 Dec 2010 4:52 PM by Jeanie60 Star rating. 103 posts Send private message

Thanks all,

not sure what to do.

I will keep you informed.

Jeanie.

Like 0      
06 Dec 2010 8:27 PM by Honeywater Star rating. 68 posts Send private message

Has anyone tried the fancy "new generation", wall-mounted heaters? I've seen different types, but am considering the ones with some sort or solid rock inside that retains the heat for up to 90 minutes after being switched off. The claim is that they are up to 3 times cheaper to run than the standard type. Cost wise they are between 280 and 350 Euros.

I'm still in the process of researching them and t would be interested to get the views of people who've used them.

Like 0      
06 Dec 2010 10:40 PM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

What make are these heaters please

Fred

Like 0      
07 Dec 2010 10:26 AM by Benicarlo Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

I have installed these 'emisores termicos' in my house and in a flat. They are very good. I was a bit fearful of the electric bill but it didn't come out as much as I expected. They do heat the other side of the wall. I didn't know about the silver foil. Fortunately I had put them on internal wall and yest they do put some heat into the other room.

I bought two types a brand called Haverland (with very bad after sales service) and another HJM both from Carrefour. I think the HJM are much better (Can't comment on service as I haven't needed it).

Like 0      
07 Dec 2010 4:40 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear All,

good advice from two noted experts in all things????

what a pity you cannot buy property built to proper building standards including sound and thermal insulation.

is that what they mean by "communal", those that can afford it heat next door as well.

Is that what is called keeping the heat of summer out???

Really, what will he tell us next?

Regards

Norman

Like 0      
07 Dec 2010 4:50 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

DON'T FEED THE TROLL

Like 0      
07 Dec 2010 8:30 PM by wend691 Star rating in Lincoln & Rojales (C.... 179 posts Send private message

Useful advice to place some foil behind the 'emisores termicos' - we have a couple installed in our place in Spain and they do seem to take the chill out of the air. We are flying out to Spain in a couple of days so will give it a go myself.

Norman - with all due respect, what a pity there cannot be some genuine enquiries and useful responses from everyone on this thread

Like 0      
07 Dec 2010 8:53 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

wend, you can buy special pads covered in foil to go behind them but we found just normal kitchen foil was just as effective.  Plus you don't have to take the heaters down to fit it.

However, if we had the same level of insulation as they have in UK, it would be unbearable in the Summer.  

My temp guage on the porch on the Costa Blanca was approaching 25C (just over 70F) today.  Must admit it got a bit chilly last week but back to shorts and t shirt in the garden today.  

Like 0      
07 Dec 2010 9:12 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Bobaol,  Did not know you could buy paraffin heaters,  can you tell me how much they are?

Norman do you have to jump in on every thread, why should this interest you? 

Like 0      
07 Dec 2010 9:31 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

We got ours from a place called Brico Todo.  It was on offer at €69 at the time.  I was expecting one of those old Aladdin type thingies that we used to get in the Army that stunk the place out.  However, we were pleasantly surprised how clean it was with no smoke and no smell (except for one quick whiff when you turn it off).  It has an electronic starter which pushes the wick up and lights it when it starts.  The Zebra (brand, name, I think) paraffin is very clean and odourless and cost €38 for a huge drum.  In fact, we used it all last winter and still have some left.  Quite surprised at the heat it threw out.  SWMBO normally sits there with a blanket round her complaining (and that's in October!) but she asked me to switch it off about 10 at night as it was so warm. The good thing is that it throws heat all round through the front, side and back vents. 

Press another button when you've finished and the wick sinks into the works and puts it out.  Plus, of course, no licence for gas bottle needed.

Wouldn't like to leave it on unattended, though, so we have an oil filled radiator (electric) upstairs which retains the heat for some time after switching off.  (It seems like only the other day the discussion was about aircon and fans.......anyone know where it is around 80 all year with no nasty hurricanes or typhoons?)

Like 0      
07 Dec 2010 10:18 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Thanks for that will look into that when over in February.  No we do have a gas fire but would not leave that on when we go out.

But need something to heat the back up especially the bathroom and shower room.

So that might work.

Are they heavy to carry do I need a strong man?

Thanks

Like 0      
07 Dec 2010 10:27 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear All,

the point of course is that the general build quality in Spain is very bad and needs to be improved.

it will never be improved by so called experts telling people to just accept it and buy your insulation separately down the road in the hardware store.

and of course the complete and utter nonsense that you don't need it otherwise you will be too hot in summer.

it is of course a serious subject and needs to be addressed.

Good luck

Regards

Norman

Like 0      
07 Dec 2010 10:47 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

And Norman, who tells us he has only visited Spain, is now the expert on all the buildings in Spain and the reasons behind them.  The reasons why the houses in the North of the country are insulated and why the Costas are not.    Sorry, but I am now totally convinced that this site has been possemed.  Not a nice chap.

And to come and spoil threads when people are simply trying to pass on help and assistance proves that he has a hidden agenda and I, for one, will no longer respond to this troll.

Like 0      
07 Dec 2010 11:33 PM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

Pat & Ro

You can find the parafin heaters for sale in lumsdens auction just down the road from you or they are on sale in Brico House in Elche

Fred

Like 0      
08 Dec 2010 11:59 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

@Norman,

"Is that what is called keeping the heat of summer out???

Really, what will he tell us next?"

Yes Norman! It is!

"it will never be improved by so called experts telling people to just accept it and buy your insulation separately down the road in the hardware store.

and of course the complete and utter nonsense that you don't need it otherwise you will be too hot in summer."

If you actually lived in Spain, especially in the south of the country such as the Costa Del Sol, where I live, you would realise that during the summer you need to keep the house cool, as for 6 months of the year, you have temperatures above 25 degrees celsius, and 2 of the months above 35 degrees celsius during the day, and above 20 degrees at night!

It is quite literally like living inside a greenhouse in the UK summer!

However, due to marble floors and marble staircases, during the Winter some older properties built about 25 - 30 years ago, before they started using insulating building materials, make it feel as if you are living inside a Fridge! These properties were mainly built for the Spanish as 'Summer Houses' and were abandoned during the Winter.

Since then the Spanish Costa's has had an influx of Northern Europeans becoming residents, and as such these older properties now require heating, which in the past they didn't. Newer properties on the other hand, such as mine, built to European specifications by an Anglo-Irish company, have been built with this in mind, and have thermal insulating. As a result they are warmer during the Winter, but you still need a little background heat when the sun isn't shining, which happily isn't too often!

Hence Norman, why we are comparing the use of Heating products in this thread, and indeed if they are needed, and why!

@Bobaol,

"And to come and spoil threads when people are simply trying to pass on help and assistance proves that he has a hidden agenda and I, for one, will no longer respond to this troll"

It's what I have said all along, as I've just spelt out in this thread!

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 08/12/2010.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
08 Dec 2010 10:31 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

DearTechno,

whilst I welcome the more considered post and the lack of insult, thank you.

Nevertheless you have no idea what you are talking about, I am afraid.

If you consider that a greenhouse has little insulation, it is therefore prone to surrounding conditions, if they are hot the interior is hot, if they are cold and even cooled by air flow then the interior is cold.

It is that simple.

A house or indeed any other building is no different.

That is why insulation is required, air flow and ventilation also comes in to play.

I trust my disagreement will not produce another round of infantile insults.

It really is time you grew up and became an adult.

Regards

Norman

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Zaragoza - 2 posts
Very Long Holiday Weekend - Shops Shut? - 8 posts
Why Banks do not react? - 5 posts
Spanish ATC Strike - 1 posts
Need to get to Bank in Benidorm - 1 posts
Orphanages in Malaga - 1 posts
Life's like that.. - 2 posts
smoking ban - 250 posts
Halifax/Lloyds takeover - 25 posts
HELP FIND NATACHA - Disappeared in Marbella 1st Dec 7PM - 4 posts
Strike Action Over Xmas - 1 posts
Two years in Spain! - 4 posts
Qatar to host the 2022 World Cup - 7 posts
Russia to host 2018 World Cup - 2 posts
Expensive UK - 17 posts
Insurance for Bicycles - 2 posts
The end of the €425 unemployment benefit - 11 posts
certificado habitacion - 10 posts
GAS BOTTLE HEATING - 6 posts
selling spanish reg car in england - 1 posts
"The Building Log Book" versus "Libro de Edificio" - 0 posts
USING MONEYCORP - 12 posts
Vodafone Customer Service - 5 posts
Introducing aguilas389 - 1 posts
hi - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 28

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x