Life Insurance - any recommedations?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Nov 2010 12:00 AM by david & ellie Star rating. 82 posts Send private message

We hope to complete on an apartment shortly and the bank has tried to sell us their life insurance to pay the mortgage if my time is up and i still owe them money.  I know Spain is more expensive for this than the UK but the costs were crazy.  The bank has provisionally agreed to take an assignment of a UK policy, subject to seeing the policy and approving the assignment.  Hoever, if i can sort out a Spanish policy (that would pay in Euros) that may be easier. 

Can anyone suggest a website or broker who may be able to help get a Spanish life insurance policy?  I've had a quick look on the internet and seem to be able to get policies for home insurance, health insurance, car insurance, funeral insurance etc. but nothing about life insurance.

Like 0      
24 Nov 2010 12:38 AM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

I'm no expert and others will no doubt correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that life insurance is optional and not obligatory.  The mortgage is secured against the value of the property and the life insurance is the bank trying to make more money out of you by taking a commission.  If you choose to have life insurance for your own peace of mind then fine.  But don't let the bank bully you into it; and don't let them link it to the mortgage. 

Like 0      
24 Nov 2010 8:39 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Yes, life insurance is not obligatory

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
24 Nov 2010 11:17 AM by sharonw Star rating in Coin, Malaga. 281 posts Send private message

sharonw´s avatar

Hi david & ellie,

I can concur with Maria and jek that life insurance is not compulsory but unfortunately some (not all) banks will still enforce a ruling that to take their mortgage you will need to have life insurance.  Usually this would be their product but it is good to hear that they are willing to accept an existing UK policy - albeit provisionally!

Independent life insurance is widely available Spain and depending on age it need not be expensive.

Regards

Sharon

sharon@tmasspain.com

www.themortgageservicegroup.com

Like 0      
24 Nov 2010 12:22 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Well, with the late climate, they might be willing to change their policies for buyers of their products....

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
24 Nov 2010 12:34 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Also check with bank if they have quoted for reducing balance cover.

Many banks initially do not but they will if you ask.

This type of cover is much much cheaper in the UK.

Like 0      
09 Jan 2011 10:45 PM by david & ellie Star rating. 82 posts Send private message

We finally completed on our Condado purchase.  We're heading out in February to sort out some of the furnishing and are already planning trips for Easter and the Summer.  The kids are almost as excited as we are!

We also had a result on the life insurance.  I didn't want to take that offered by the bank as it was really expensive.  Despite the bank acknowledging that life insurance was not compulsary, they did say that it was part of the mortgage offer that i had been given - which was quite a good deal. 

In the end the bank agreed to take an assignment of a UK life policy.  I could have taken a new policy but it was even better as i had an old policy that i had kept paying from when we bought our first house.  A very simple one page deed of assignment was accepted by the bank - sense prevailed.

Many thanks to all of you who posted replies.  Greatly appreciated.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Should i see the mortgage deed before completion? - 4 posts
Furniture restorer needed - Malaga Province or south Cadiz - 4 posts
WAECO Portable Fridge/Freezer -17'C - 0 posts
English website for Hondon valley - 0 posts
Christmas Menu at Charo, Formentera del Segura - 0 posts
Mortgage Information - 8 posts
Electricity - changing over to dual rate - 5 posts
Dog Kennel in andalusia - 1 posts
Community payments - who decides how much? - 7 posts
what's it like at christmas - 6 posts
Alldays Supermarket in Algorfa - 1 posts
voting in Spain - 1 posts
Anyone found a digital camera between Cabopino and la Cala? - reward - 0 posts
What phone and Internet provider is the best - 11 posts
Is a NIE necessary? - 6 posts
memory foam mattresses - 13 posts
Swiss army knife - 2 posts
Does anyone ask their lawyer to do the utilities connection - 14 posts
dacion en pago - 6 posts
Where to buy furniture - 3 posts
Christmas in La Cala Hills, Nr Mijas - 6 posts
Royal Engagement Facebook Fail - 1 posts
Who sells Gazebo's - 4 posts
Car washing - 3 posts
Iams Dog Food - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x