Is a NIE necessary?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Nov 2010 12:00 AM by eveankev Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi

We are not resident in Spain but we bought a holiday home in 2003 and the family visit several timeseach year. We pay our rates (suma) etc. made our Spanish wills, and never been asked for our NIE number. Therefore we have been visiting quite happily for nearly 8 years without one. Is it a legal requirement to have this bit of paper? Advice please!

Like 0      
21 Nov 2010 7:21 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

If you own a house you've got an nie number whether you know it or not. You can't buy without one.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
21 Nov 2010 8:10 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

You have an NIE if you bought a house, and you certainly need it in order to pay your income tax (la renta) each year - you do pay your renta, don't you? I suggest you get in touch with the lawyer who represented you when you bought.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
22 Nov 2010 1:19 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

It was not always necessary to have an NIE and you used to be able to complete with passport - I can't remember when it all changed.

But like others have said it may be your lawyer applied for it on your behalf and just never gave you the piece of paper - look over your completion docs and in aprticular tax forms etc

and at one time it was also possible to apply for NIE without a power of attorney

Like 0      
22 Nov 2010 9:16 PM by eveankev Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi

My thanks to all who have responded. I dug into my original docs and discovered a NIF no. on the deeds but I do not have a piece of paper to support it. I used the same lawyer as the developer. I have a Declaracion De Residencia Fiscal (Declaration of Tax Residence) which identifies me with my passport no. for which my Spanish bank deduct a fee every 6 months. What is worrying me now is that it would appear that I have never paid income tax (la renta) since we bought in 2003  and nobody has contacted me for any payment. What do you suggest I do - if I keep quiet I could be building up more problems later - if I go to a lawyer it will cost me a bomb -  can I do it myself and will I have to pay tax on previous years?

Like 0      
22 Nov 2010 9:40 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Lesley Williams who posts on here as leswill will do it all very reasonably, don't worry. Contact her http://spain214.com/default.aspx     She was saying recently she had done a member's taxes from some years back similar to your circumstances.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 22/11/2010.

Like 0      
23 Nov 2010 12:47 AM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

I don't understand why on earth you would have a declaracion de residencia fiscal if you only own a holiday home.  Personally, I've never heard of such a certificate.  You are tax resident only if you spend 183 or more days in the calendar year with your feet on Spanish soil.  If you are tax resident then your Spanish home is your principal residence and you pay tax in Spain on your worldwide income.  You should then not have to complete a British tax return.

If, as it sounds from your original post, you are non-resident then you are liable for non-resident income tax on the imputed rental income from your holiday home.  You should see the very recent thread "paying non-resident income tax" which contains the info that the tax people can only come after you for four years back taxes and debates whether or not you are better off sitting on your hands.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

memory foam mattresses - 13 posts
Swiss army knife - 2 posts
Does anyone ask their lawyer to do the utilities connection - 14 posts
dacion en pago - 6 posts
Where to buy furniture - 3 posts
Christmas in La Cala Hills, Nr Mijas - 6 posts
Royal Engagement Facebook Fail - 1 posts
Who sells Gazebo's - 4 posts
Car washing - 3 posts
Iams Dog Food - 4 posts
Just booked a flight from Leeds Bradford to Murcia - March Ryanair - 0 posts
Winter flights from Alicante with Monarch - 0 posts
UK car hire - 6 posts
How to transport furniture from UK to Costa Blanca? - 7 posts
Web site for San Cayetano - 5 posts
Ryanair - Bournemouth to Malaga - 3 posts
pine furniture - 0 posts
Illegal employer practices? - 5 posts
Malaga to Jaen - 3 posts
WANTED: PRISMA LEVEL 2 SPANISH WORKBOOK AND EXCERCISE BOOK - 0 posts
4,900 Euros of bookings for our villa in 1 day!! - 14 posts
Spanish mortgages and life cover - 0 posts
Shopping on a Sunday? - 8 posts
Alicante Airport Rip Off and Price Fixing - 3 posts
Reform of the Spanish legal system - 48 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x