International van insurance nightmare

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Oct 2010 12:00 AM by janet_bookworm Star rating in time spent between E.... 27 posts Send private message

Hi all, PLEASE does anyone know of a UK insurance company who will offer business cover for unlimited time in Spain for a van? I'm supposed to be coming to Spain in December for 3 months (which puts me outside the 90 days most insurers will give in any one year) but if it works I want to stay longer and/or come back again, so 90 days may not be enough anyway. I got a quote from SAGA but it was well over £1000 and this hurts as my renewal has come through for £431!!! Surely I'm not the only driver with a van who wants to spend a lot of time in Spain but will remain UK resident for the time being, anyone out there who does the trip regularly know what I can do other than bite the bullet and pay up to SAGA??

Janet

Like 0      
25 Oct 2010 6:01 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

If SAGA is UK based then you need to try a Spanish based broker specialing in UK reg vehicles.

Try www.theinsurancecentre.net

I will not comment on legality!

Like 0      
25 Oct 2010 8:01 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

You'd probably be better insuring it here as all vans are classed & insured as commercial vehicles & are covered for business use. The co. I use ,Liberty Seguros, insures UK reg. vehicles but you'll have to keep it UK legal ( tax, Mot ) as they notify the DVla twice a week of any UK reg. vehicles they insure. This is so that when you go back to the UK , if you are stopped , you are on the Dvla database.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
25 Oct 2010 8:15 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

sounds like this person will come and go so getting an MOT every 12 months might not be an issue?

Liberty Seguros are a major insurer of UK reg vehicles in Spain but they are a bit vague on what's required in terms of road worthiness but I don't want to go off on a tangent here.

Like 0      
25 Oct 2010 10:30 PM by Hallam Star rating in San Cayetano . 109 posts Send private message

I insured a van with Evan Insurance over the internet and that came with unlimited use abroad within the EU.

It was however for private use when I bought a load of furniture over but it may be worth you giving them a try.

Dave

Like 0      
26 Oct 2010 12:22 AM by janet_bookworm Star rating in time spent between E.... 27 posts Send private message

Cheers Dave, I'll investigate tomorrow.

Anyone else got any suggestions?

hopefully,

Janet

Like 0      
26 Oct 2010 5:47 PM by janet_bookworm Star rating in time spent between E.... 27 posts Send private message

Well I didn't find Evans but I spend most of today on the internet and the phone AGAIN and at last got sorted with Highway through a broker Autonet, 90 days fully comp in the EU and any further period covered 3rd part etc. So anyone else in a similar position, that's a start, Zenith do 45 days and will add another 45 at extra cost, and Saga will do unlimited time for UK residents but well over a grand it was for me.........OK this is of no interest to anyone living in Spain but might help frequent visitors still resident in the UK. And these postings seem to be a great way of sharing information so.........

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Even more jokes - 3 posts
Even more jokes - 2 posts
Work Carried out for the Benefit of Individual Properties - 3 posts
Community voting - what is a majority? - 18 posts
RENTACARSPAIN.COM - 24 posts
Dogs on the beach - 5 posts
Making a Formal Objection About a General Meeting - 1 posts
Spam prevention - 12 posts
Endesa rate change - 1 posts
Endesa rate change - 0 posts
covera airport update - 2 posts
LOOKING FOR TONY GATEHOUSE - MEDSEA - 1 posts
dont forget to buy the logs in - 0 posts
Rusty Air Con Unit - 3 posts
Halifax Hispania - On Line Banking Problems - 8 posts
Returning to Scotland - 1 posts
Is it me - 0 posts
Licence for scooters - 8 posts
car or van wanted - 0 posts
I am knackered - 0 posts
Apartment wanted within 40 mins commute of Gibraltar - 9 posts
Anyone intrested in doing a bit of house swopping - 0 posts
Agua Potable o no ! - 6 posts
Dumbstruck!! - 1 posts
Kia Sportage 4wd 4900 eur - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x