Spam prevention

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Oct 2010 12:00 AM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Hi Justin

I`m curious as to how putting in the number of a sum when posting comments on blogs stops spamming. I would be grateful if you could explain.

Thanks

Irene

Like 0      
25 Oct 2010 11:26 AM by JeanMalaga Star rating in Malaga. 7 posts Send private message

From what I know is that you get other website owners who simply wish to get links linking back to their websites, so they use techniques called blackhat where they can post spam using programs on thousands of sites in a matter of hours/minutes.

The so called programs cannot bypass lets say the sum questions thats here or captcha that is also frequently used.

Its always a problem with spammers, I remeber I had a blog once withour spam prevention and I had about 100+ spammy comments :(

This message was last edited by JeanMalaga on 25/10/2010.

Like 0      
25 Oct 2010 6:09 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Also there exists professional bloggers whose job it is to post when a new product or service is being launched.

Also one way to overcome negative postings is to bury them with positive posts.

Like 0      
25 Oct 2010 7:09 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

...but that doesn´t explain why the maths

Irene

Like 0      
25 Oct 2010 7:20 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

I guess it stops the automated spammers but not the professional spammer/reviewers etc

Like 0      
25 Oct 2010 9:23 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Most blog comment spam is automated and making people complete some simple maths, or type in letters that appear in a picture is a pretty effective method at eliminating these automated commenting programs from completing their task.

You will always get the bloggers who manually spam websites and those are much more difficult to stop them in their strides.

Unfortunately there will always be spammers and we'll forever be trying to find better ways to combat them.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
27 Oct 2010 9:58 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Thank you for the explanation!

Irene

Like 0      
13 Nov 2010 9:42 PM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar

Justin

This just arrived as a pm - hopefully you can stop this sort of rubbish??

Thanks

Hello my dear!!,
My name is Samanta. I am a female. I am nice and loving and very good looking. I am looking for a nice person for a nice friendship. I saw your profile today at www.eyeonspain.com and liked it. I will like to open up a friendshipith you.
please write me on my email (samantaefemena@yahoo.com) so that i will send my photograph to you and more about me.
Hoping to hear from you.
Miss Samanta.

David

Like 0      
13 Nov 2010 9:54 PM by Flybynight Star rating. 60 posts Send private message

Flybynight´s avatar

Davmunster, you've just posted her email address for all, who Google, to see. Bet Samanta lurves you!  She'll get no end of 'business' from this!!

This message was last edited by Flybynight on 13/11/2010.

Like 0      
13 Nov 2010 10:11 PM by Flybynight Star rating. 60 posts Send private message

Flybynight´s avatar

Ooooo... as soon as I posted the spammer hit my PM box!

Like 0      
13 Nov 2010 10:21 PM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar

Flybynight I would never post a private e-mail address. i really don't care if some EOS members want to contact "Samanta" - what I want is some kind of filter so that my and your PM boxes don't get filled up with messages like this.

I've seen forums ruined by this kind of "commercial" activity - Juistin please don'r let it happen here!

David

Like 0      
14 Nov 2010 12:02 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Thanks guys, I have sorted it.

Time to put some more measures in place!

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
14 Nov 2010 12:21 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Thanks for all your efforts Justin (and team). Much appreciated.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Endesa rate change - 1 posts
Endesa rate change - 0 posts
covera airport update - 2 posts
LOOKING FOR TONY GATEHOUSE - MEDSEA - 1 posts
dont forget to buy the logs in - 0 posts
Rusty Air Con Unit - 3 posts
Halifax Hispania - On Line Banking Problems - 8 posts
Returning to Scotland - 1 posts
Is it me - 0 posts
Licence for scooters - 8 posts
car or van wanted - 0 posts
I am knackered - 0 posts
Apartment wanted within 40 mins commute of Gibraltar - 9 posts
Anyone intrested in doing a bit of house swopping - 0 posts
Agua Potable o no ! - 6 posts
Dumbstruck!! - 1 posts
Kia Sportage 4wd 4900 eur - 1 posts
BBC One HD - 3rd November 2010 - 4 posts
Roof Beams Protection- Help Needed! - 5 posts
english will- spanish bank - 7 posts
Hi to everyone........ - 3 posts
Somebody pooped in the garage - 7 posts
Watch out! New Telefonica or Movistar Scam! - 2 posts
documents of car - 2 posts
Embargo on property - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x