Where do I fit ?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Oct 2010 12:00 AM by bbbreakfast Star rating in Bristol and Playa Fl.... 56 posts Send private message

bbbreakfast´s avatar

Hi Peeps,

I was reading a blog re ex pat V tourist recently, and it got me thinking !.

I have a home in UK and Costa Blanca, my home in Spain is not rented out and is my Spanish home when I am there (12 weeks a year).

I try to live and behave like a local when in Spain, so am I still a tourist ????.

I am not ex pat as I obviously dont live full time in Spain.

So where does that leave me and does it matter ???

Comments would be welcome.

Slanche

Bbb

Like 0      
03 Oct 2010 5:27 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Perhaps you're a tourpat 

Mark

Like 0      
03 Oct 2010 7:19 PM by neatrees Star rating in Vera Playa. 64 posts Send private message

Hi Bdd

To me a tourist is a been there done that traveller.

If I can borrow a line from a song, "wherever I lay my hat, that's my home". When my wife and I go to our place in Spain, it is where we can relax and not try to run around, see and do everything like a tourist would do. 

To loosely quote Yoda, " Spanish you not, British not everything change to, just be".

Now I am going to pour myself a strong drink to justify me typing the above.

Like 0      
03 Oct 2010 8:51 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Hi Bbb

I certainly wouldn't refer to you as a tourist, as you say "I try to live and behave like a local when in Spain".  To be quite honest, that is a more positive attitude than some expats who live in Spain but who live and behave the same as if they were back in the UK!

Maybe you are an ex-ist?!

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
04 Oct 2010 10:43 AM by Tumbit Star rating in Costa Blanca. 71 posts Send private message

Tumbit´s avatar

To me it's more a 'state of mind' or manner in which you conduct yourself as opposed how long you stay in a certain place. For me, the word 'Tourist' carries (quite unfairly and unreasonably, perhaps) a few negative associations, and it brings to mind noisy, drunken Holidaymakers disrespecting the locals, refusing to at least try and speak the local language or eat the local cuisine.

Again, I'm possibly stereotyping unfairly, but I would say that anybody who visits the same area regularly does not fit this description, but I'm damned if I know what a better word for them would be.

Like 0      
04 Oct 2010 10:58 AM by julia vittles Star rating in Taunton England / Ca.... 20 posts Send private message

I don't know where you fit but......

I have the same problem the other way round??

I lived in Spain for sixteen years with my family , two children at that time age 2 and 10 they both went to school in the mountains where we lived with the local people and lived the life of a spaniard.

We have a finca with almond trees and when the Sheppard comes buy our land we chat to him when we see him.

We have now move back to England because of work, our son now 26 lives in our finca and looks after it when we are not there.

Our daughter moved back to England with us and is now going to collage .

Both my husband and i have jobs, i work in a hospital but i feel out of place some times i get on better with the foreigners then i do with the English who have live and work there all there lives. 

This message was last edited by julia vittles on 04/10/2010.

Like 0      
04 Oct 2010 1:35 PM by luton town Star rating in Gran Alacant Costa B.... 37 posts Send private message

luton town´s avatar

My simple answer is....who do you support ....in the world cup England Or Spain ?...not allowed to say both lol

Like 0      
04 Oct 2010 2:02 PM by bbbreakfast Star rating in Bristol and Playa Fl.... 56 posts Send private message

bbbreakfast´s avatar

Well being Scottish no competition then lmao, but seriously thank you all for te responses as Tumbit say's more a state of mind perhaps, funny enough despite the language issues  I do not feel out of  place when in Spain which I supose is the best way to feel.

Slanche

Bbb

Like 0      
05 Oct 2010 5:02 PM by julia vittles Star rating in Taunton England / Ca.... 20 posts Send private message

luton town

I  am  a  big  sports  fan  Tennis,  Football  and  F1  and  i  hang  my  flag  up  when  the best  man/team wins.

Now  i  know  where  i  stand  but  has  i  have  live  in  England  less  then  a  year  i  will  give  it  another  year

and  think  about  it  again.

Thank  you  for  your  help  any   thing  to  do  with  sport  or  cars  is  my  sort  of    languish.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Rubber Flooring for Children´s Play Area - 2 posts
UK Debt Collection Agencies - 5 posts
Legal tip 354. Northern europeans come to Spain to live and undertake initiatives - 0 posts
Hyundai H1 7 seater - 1 posts
Toyota RAV4 FOR SALE - Great price! - 1 posts
FREE AT LAST!! - 3 posts
ITV Homes from Hell - 18 posts
building work - 3 posts
How Typical is pre-Completion "Terror"? - 3 posts
Iberdola - 6 posts
For sale Peugeot 206 1. 9 diesel - 0 posts
Hoping to buy a 7 seater spanish reg. - 2 posts
Gas Bottles for Sale - 1 posts
Self Employed or Limited (SL) Company? - 3 posts
Two Men And A Rover 400 - 34 posts
brisas del mar apartments in formentera del segura - 4 posts
New house alarm for sale (Costa Blanca South) - secure your home now. - 3 posts
Retentions - 1 posts
Salou Nightlife - Mid October? - 0 posts
Calls/ texts from 1444 - 1 posts
Inheritance - 9 posts
Mortgage to release funds - 5 posts
Marbella to Tarifa - 6 posts
Lack of Bank Guarantees. Bank´s responsability. Case Law - 118 posts
Regular cheap deliveries to & from Spain - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x