Changing internet provider

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Sep 2010 12:00 AM by laflauta Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

At the moment I have Telefonica as my provider. No problems with them, but pay roughly 75 Euros per month ( very few phonecalls ) I am thinking of changing to BT, but it seems that a few companies calling themselves BT but seem to be just distributors. Does anybody know who actually is BT? Also any other tips of good reasonable providers.

Like 0      
28 Sep 2010 1:19 PM by scubamike Star rating in Murcia province . 218 posts Send private message

scubamike´s avatar

I only pay 50 euros per month incl IVA for a Telefonica broadband up to 3mg and phone package with free calls in Spain. Perhaps before you consider changing you speak to Telefonica (now Movistar). In my experience they do not advertise their packages you have to ask

Like 0      
28 Sep 2010 1:32 PM by Tamsin Star rating. 169 posts Send private message

Only 50 Euors per month ??? -  75 Euros per month .  What are you buying - GOLD .

Is there no cheaper Internet Provider in Spain .  I 'm not sure I can afford that when we move >

Like 0      
28 Sep 2010 2:17 PM by scubamike Star rating in Murcia province . 218 posts Send private message

scubamike´s avatar

Spain is one of the most expensive places in Europe for broadband so I understand

Like 0      
28 Sep 2010 2:20 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

We pay something like 43 euros per month (including IVA) with Vodafone.  that includes line rental, broadband and 16 hours of free landline calls.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
28 Sep 2010 6:07 PM by JPD Star rating in Hull, East Yorkshire.... 391 posts Send private message

JPD´s avatar

Hi there

We pay 20 per month it is only 2 mb it is a true 2 mb tho, it is also unlimited, reliability has been very good in the 5 months its been installed.

The company is Ole they are part of Torre Sat TV.

Like 0      
29 Sep 2010 10:23 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

I'm with telefonica/movistar and pay the following as a standing charge

Line rental - EUR13.97 + VAT

Internet 3mb - EUR40.90 = VAT

So without adding any phone/call packages that's almost EUR65 a month.

I also pay about EUR10 a month to 902 customer support numbers - mostly trying to help people out becuase of disastrous customer service in Spain!!!!!

I make most of my calls using skype/voip which saves me a fortune on international calls.

My connectivity is fairly stable and I get 2.5mb down and 250k up.

Telefonica/Movistar advertise 6MB but I think that is only in Malaga city?

Also please do not take good connection for granted and in some areas it's not available or speeds can be disastrous. But on the whole it has much improved and you can now work out here. A few years back it was bad and businesses were regularly off-line all day and not good if you are some type of remote UK worker etc. I have met one or two people who have had real problems here and they thought they could move over and continue work as they had been doing in the UK. Again as always in Spain there are people who can help you but it's finding the good ones that's the problem!!!

In the free rags I always see adverts for cheaper solutions and speeds of 10MB but I have no idea what's that's all about or if it's good connectivity etc. I'm a bit scare to mess with what I have!!

I would be very interested in high speed and better connectivity at a reasonable price! 

I would be interested to hear peoples experiences of other service providers in terms of costs and what speed you are really getting compared to advertised etc. Maybe I'll start a another thread on that topic and see what people are getting in different parts of Spain etc

http://www.speedtest.net/index.php

Like 0      
29 Sep 2010 10:43 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

I'm with Telefónica and contract for 6Mb in Manilva (Duquesa) and generally get at least 5Mb - unlimited national landline calls free of charge and 24/7 broadband access.  At the moment, we pay the line rental 13.97 plus VAT and 19.90 for Internet (that is 40.90 discounted due to promocion).

Can't really fault Telefónica's service - maybe we've been fortunate!  I believe they are doing quite good deals at the moment.  If you're contract is finished, I read somewhere (on here I think) that if you go to them and tell them you're changing to another provider due to cost, that they will probably offer you their latest promotion deal to stay with them.

Like 0      
29 Sep 2010 11:02 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Pitby

3MB more and EUR20 a month less.

I will phone tomorrow and at least try the price reduction.

Like 0      
29 Sep 2010 11:02 AM by laflauta Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

Hi everybody and thanks for all your input, very helpful. It is so difficult to know what to do. I am happy with Telefonica/Movistar, but it is so expensive, and it is very tempting to change but to who?. BT looked attractive, but then it seems a few companies who advertise are only distributors so they might not be around for long. Maybe, like some of you have suggested, I will contact Telefonica to see if they will give me a better deal. Thanks again.

Like 0      
29 Sep 2010 12:58 PM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

To Faro

Did you get any joy from Telefonica I rang and told them I was going to change suppliers and they offered to give me 10MB broadband for 1 Euro more than I was paying I told them I wanted a cheaper deal but they said no they could not care less that I was going to cancel.so will be looking for a better deal with RTN I think

Fred

Overseas Property Company

fred@overseaspropertycompany.com

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      
29 Sep 2010 1:15 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

fpegman

I plan calling tomorrow just in case they are joing the strike today!

But surely they can olny give you 10MB if they have it in your area - correct?  I'd kill for 10MB

Like 0      
29 Sep 2010 1:47 PM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

I am paying for 6mb but most days only get download of 3 and upload on 512kb

Fred

Overseas Property Company

fred@overseaspropertycompany.com

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      
29 Sep 2010 2:45 PM by scubamike Star rating in Murcia province . 218 posts Send private message

scubamike´s avatar

Maximum of 3mbs only available here. Most of the time I get 2.5 on wireless. Often less at weekends especially if it is busy. July and August was very slow

Like 0      
29 Sep 2010 3:01 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hi

We are on exactly the same deal as Pitby below, it was a promotion for new sign ups, don't know if its still on but would think it is, we get 5mb using Faros link, thats in Calahonda.

The thing to watch with the deal from Movistar is that it's only for 12 months and they don't get in touch to discuss options, so before you know it you are back paying big bucks and stuck with it unless you wan't to switch provider again.

Must say though the service from Movistar/Telefonica has been first class thus far, a real surprise after reading plenty of horror stories on here.

S

PS: Forgot to say that the Movistar promotion includes providing the land line if you currently don't have one.

This message was last edited by Team GB on 29/09/2010.

Like 0      
29 Sep 2010 3:08 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

that's also the reason I have never switched or looked into resellers becuase I have also heard horror stories!

Like 0      
29 Sep 2010 4:08 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Same as Pitby and Team GB. Got mine in February, so due for renewal in a few months so will be emailing them beforehand to see what other offers are available. 

I keep hearing these people advertised on Spectrum Mojacar, don't know what they're like though.

Mark

Like 0      
29 Sep 2010 4:43 PM by scubamike Star rating in Murcia province . 218 posts Send private message

scubamike´s avatar

Service from Movistar always been 1st class. Had fault with wireless router and they delivered new one next day FOC and no questions asked. Didn't even take old one away not that its much good!!!

Like 0      
29 Sep 2010 7:37 PM by Benicarlo Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

I was with Yacom and no problems.

However I am now with movistar as they offered a better price

I am paying 20.45 month plus line rental

Like 0      
29 Sep 2010 11:05 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Ok, so it seems clear that Movistar/Telefonica are trying and suceeding to mop up all the new business with the best offers around, also they have without doubt improved their customer services/ responces to problems etc for foreigners.

What are we going to do when the 12 months promo runs out? I think they have been very clever, most will stay if they can afford it in the absence of any credible alternative, especially if you need adsl for essential communication or business.

Mark, perhaps you could keep us updated with negotiations at the end of your 12 months.

S

This message was last edited by Team GB on 29/09/2010.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Iveco Daily 3500kg XLWB - 1 posts
Beware of distressed properties on sale - 25 posts
One Year On - 1 posts
Tax advice - 2 posts
New Terminal At Alicante Airport - 0 posts
General Strike - 15 posts
movinc to spain - looking to split van rental - 0 posts
Themed birthday cakes - 2 posts
Gestors Benalmadena - 2 posts
Building a dream villa in Altea Hills - 6 posts
forgot to put middle name on tickrts with ryan air - 20 posts
Changes to Iberdrola Electricity Contracts - 1 posts
Hi Guys ....new here - 19 posts
abbey financial solutions and Irish Life - 3 posts
F1 - 32 posts
Notary in Aguilas, Murcia - 2 posts
Notary in Aguilas, Murcia - 0 posts
Illegal house advice urgently required - 7 posts
Sharon’s Appeal for Noah’s Arc - "Three Rainbows" - 4 posts
Newbie to the site. - 2 posts
i also got riped off by devlin brothers - 0 posts
VAN HEADING TO SPAIN JAN 2011 - 0 posts
new sky viewing card - 2 posts
Consumer Protection Agency ? - 4 posts
Topping up an English phone - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 49

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x