Can anyone recommend a fantastic restaurant in Barcelona

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Aug 2010 12:00 AM by NickG75 Star rating in London. 4 posts Send private message

NickG75´s avatar

Hi,

Going to Barcelona soon for the weekend. Am looking for a real authentic spanish restaurant for my foodie girl friend. Can anyone help? Fantastic view too would be perfect but not obligatory.

Like 0      
23 Aug 2010 6:55 PM by mikelord Star rating in Roda. 148 posts Send private message

Hi,

We had a great meal in Los Caracoles just off Las Ramblas a few years ago. Pictures of hollywood greats taken with the owner hanging everywhere, well worth a visit.

Mike

Michael Lord

www.HealthandBeautyAbroad.com

Like 0      
23 Aug 2010 10:22 PM by DoubleJ Star rating in Las Alpujarras and L.... 143 posts Send private message

DoubleJ´s avatar

Hi Nick,

Just got back from Barcelona.

Three great restaurants I would recommend:

Taller de Tapas: Placa de Sant (5 mins walk from Las Ramblas) - In a really pretty square with a church and often has musicians playing - Get there early if you want to sit outside. Good range of well prepared tapas with an English menu - Friendly staff - Reasonable price ~ Less than 50 Euros  for two of us inc a bottle of wine.

Els Quatre Gats (The  Four Cats): Montsio (only 3-4 mins walk from the top end of Las Ramblas) - This is a really famous restaurant visited by the great and the good for over 100 years - Picasso was a regular visitor - If there are only the two of you, try and get up on the very small balcony, where you can look down into the rest of the restaurant where there is usually someone playing the piano. The waiters are all very attentive and all dressed in very smart traditional waiter gear. We paid around 100 Euros for a full 3 courses each with wine and liqueurs. Not cheap, but some of the best food I've tasted. If you are in to it, try the pigs cheeks, they're excellent.

La Bodega De Palma: Carrer Palma de Sant Just - A real quirky one, again, only 5 mins from Las Ramblas (but it took us about an hour to find it, because it's down a small winding street). This is a traditional tapas bar that is really popular with the locals, we didn't see anything but Spanish people in there. This is basically a bar setting that serves excellent, low priced food. The waitresses are very friendly, but be prepared to do plenty of menu pointing if you dont speak Spanish or Catalan as their English is limited. We had seven or eight tapas dishes with wine for around 40 Euros. You won't get any more authentic than this, but be prepared, it's very rustic and not "dressed up " to look pretty for the tourists.

Have a great time

Like 0      
24 Aug 2010 11:03 AM by NickG75 Star rating in London. 4 posts Send private message

NickG75´s avatar

Hi Double J,

Many thanks. they all sound great. Who knows we may get to do all 3 if we get to find La Bodega 

Really apprreciate the info.

Nick

Like 0      
24 Aug 2010 5:49 PM by fultond Star rating in Haywards Heath & Tor.... 242 posts Send private message

Look out for a small chain called Origen (May be Origen 99 or similar). This is a modern Tapas restaurant chain which sells its own organic wine, etc. Really excellent food and good value. We ended up going back every other night because we could find nothing else to compare. There are at least 2 of them in the El Borne area. Yummie, my favourite tapa was beef in figs. 

Like 0      
25 Aug 2010 10:39 AM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Hi,

For food and ambience I agree with DoubleJ's recommendations - Els Quatre Gats - I tried to post a weblink for you, but not allowed apparently, but it's easily googled.  Considering it is in the tourist area it is amazingly authentic Spanish.

But if you want a restaurant with a view there are several at the bottom end of the rambla on the pier/marina development.

Enjoy !

Richard

Like 0      
15 Nov 2010 8:26 AM by Valenciaboy Star rating in Turis, Valencia. 7 posts Send private message

Valenciaboy´s avatar
Hi guys, We went to Els Quatre Gats (The  Four Cats) last week! It was fantastic, really great food, interesting decor, and a vibrant pianist! The restaurant is based on the old Paris Restaurant Le Chat Noir, and created by one of it's former employees. Le Chat Noir was very bohemian, and if you liked Moulin Rouge, the movie, you could really imagine all the characters eating at Els Quatre Gats, I am going back, just wish I lived nearer. Steve

Like 0      
27 Nov 2010 7:45 AM by kethrinelopez Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I think the Ramblas, and choose a restaurant that you think is suitable. The Ramblas is the main eating area, and you will find restaurants to cater for any taste and wallet, but I would recommend a Tapas bar about half-way down on the right hand side.

One stop shop for Spain travel deals

This message was last edited by kethrinelopez on 27/11/2010.

Like 0      
28 Nov 2010 3:32 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

If you are on a budget, take care when you see reasonably priced menú del días on the Ramblas.  We saw a restaurant that we liked the look of, and the mdd was pretty cheap, however we noticed that it didn't mention wine so asked the waiter whether wine was included.  He said no, so we then asked to see the wine list and the cheapest bottle of wine was twice the cost of the mdd!

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
28 Nov 2010 8:54 PM by Benicarlo Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

The Ramblas are overpriced and waiting for tourists.

The Quatre Gatsis good

also try La Rita in Calle Arago

Like 0      
29 Nov 2010 12:25 AM by chaircolt Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

There are many authentic and quality restaurants in the El Born district of Barcelona, just don't be put off by the fact it does not look anything special from the outside.

If you want something cheap and cheerful but real authentic go to the Cava Bar in Barcelonetta, the name of the road is Reina Christina. Real Spain and Barcelona.

Like 0      
29 Nov 2010 12:03 PM by ttarrab Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

ttarrab´s avatar

The Cava bar on the Reina Christina is called Can Paixano and is well worth a vist.

Sorry cant post links - canpaixano DOT com.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

29th SEPTEMBER - GENERAL STRIKE? - 13 posts
reference Les Terrazes De La Torre - 1 posts
reference Les Terrazes De La Torre - 0 posts
Does any one knows someone who is squatting his own property? - 2 posts
Murcia - Bristol, Easy Jet - 13 posts
buying spanish car and selling uk car in Nueva Andalucua - 1 posts
FOR SALE. MOBILE AIR CONDITIONER - 3 posts
Section 75 Consumer Credit Act - 0 posts
Paul and Chris Birkett from Los Alcazares - 5 posts
Advice please, petlovers? - 2 posts
Ask Cloud Refunds - 2 posts
insuring a car on British plates in spain - 3 posts
AGM called contrary to the statutes, advice please - 1 posts
Insurance Claim - Damaged Tiled Floor - 1 posts
MOBILE BROADBAND RECEPTION IN IZNAJAR - 4 posts
Telefonica Tip. - 3 posts
IBI increases - 0 posts
Hola Amigo's....Im new to EyeonSpain, come and say hi....:) - 0 posts
Information required - 2 posts
GOLF FEES - 5 posts
Fitting tow bar to car - 1 posts
Mortgage Transfers - 1 posts
spanish property reposessions helppppppppp - 1 posts
La Caixa: Payments of cheques - 10 posts
Flight delay compensation cases put on hold - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x