FREE HEALTHCARE?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Aug 2010 12:00 AM by susie56 Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hi,

Can anyone please tell me how I get free healthcare in Spain. I am a UK national, 54 years old. I have lived in Spain for just under 6 months, although I have owned a house here for the last 10 years. I am a "non-resident" at the  moment. I do not work. What happens when my EHIC runs out? Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks, Susie

Like 0      
02 Aug 2010 5:51 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Basically Susie, you can't get free healthcare.

You either have to be in receipt of a pension or have paid into the Spanish system.

If you don't live here permanently, you can continue to use your EHIC card and renew it when it runs out. However, to do that you must have a UK address.

Irene

Like 0      
02 Aug 2010 8:06 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

If you were working just before you moved to Spain, you will get some free healthcare for the first couple of years.  For more information, go to the Foreign Office website.  http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-spain/pensions-benefits/healthcare/.

It also depends where you are living.  Valencia used to give free healthcare for early retirees, which they have now withdrawn.  However there has been some talk about them introducing a contributory scheme, because so many expats complained,

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
02 Aug 2010 11:07 PM by Rob in Madrid Star rating in Madrid. 274 posts Send private message

Rob in Madrid´s avatar

While a slighty different situation, starting with the fact they don't live on the coast (hard to belive but not all brits move to the coast) I have a freind who moved here while still being employed in the UK. Becuase he works from home he's free to live in Spain while paying taxes in the UK. Long story short he wasn't able to sign up properly for healthcare and finally as a last resort his wife became autónomo, cost them 260€ a month but they are now in the system,

And to boot she will get a small pension in 20 years or so.

So you can either purchase private health care or become autónomo.

Decided after all I don't like Spanish TV, that is having compared both.

Like 0      
03 Aug 2010 9:08 AM by tfr Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

If your income is below the SMI (Minimum Interprofesional Salary), you could also try applying for a health care thru the "sin recursos" system. The SMI is around currently around 8000 euros pa.

Eligibility for health care varies between regions, so it would help if you could say whereabouts in the country you live.

Like 0      
07 Aug 2010 10:22 PM by susie56 Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hi tfr,

Thanks for your reply. Yes my income is below that and I live in Mijas Costa, Costa del Sol. Thanks, Susie

Like 0      
08 Aug 2010 9:32 AM by tfr Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Hi Susie, 

The "sin recursos" was established by the Real Decreto 1088/1989. I can´t post a link so please Google it for more info.

This route is widely used by Spanish nationals and (mainly non-EU) immigrants to access public health care. I believe it is less well know and used by Brits living in Spain. As I mentioned in a previous post the administration varies widely between regions and you´ll have to find out from the local health centre exactly what documents are required. Generally, passport, padron (and possibly residence) certificates, and some statement of financial status are necessary. 

I´ve also read that Andalusia indefinitely extends health cover for people once they are·"on the system" regardless of their status with respect to the Social Security. The problem, unfortunately, is how to get job with a contract in the first place.

One last point. The Government has announced that is will introduce legislation in November to extend health cover to the relatively small number of people currently outside the system. Although it looks almost certain that all Spanish nationals will be included in the system, the position of foreign residents is less clear. It is something worth bearing in mind in though.

Like 0      
08 Aug 2010 9:40 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Further to tfr's post, it will help if you register as unemployed then basically they can't refuse you . The full title is 'Extranjeros titular sin recursos'.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
13 Aug 2010 4:48 PM by susie56 Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Thanks to everyone for the info. I'll sort it out next week and post the outcome, in case there is anybody else out there in the same boat - it may just help. Regards, Susie

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Internet Savvy Person Wanted - 4 posts
ESCUDERO PROMOTORS - 3 posts
can I ask the elecricity & water company to do a real reading before renters move in my apt? - 1 posts
Car Recovery from Malaga to Orihuela - 2 posts
Nationwide changes - 79 posts
Success claiming under a bank guarantee - 41 posts
driving in alicante city - 2 posts
Registration for Municipal Election - 2 posts
RYANAIR WINTER FLIGHTS TO MURCIA - 23 posts
QUOTES PLEASE FOR CUPBOARD UNDER STAIRS INSIDE JARDINES APARTMENT - 3 posts
hello - 1 posts
Non-Payers on Community - What are the Options - 8 posts
Ryan Air Rip-Off - 54 posts
punta prima - 4 posts
cam bank charge pentioners 13,000euro intrest for morgage late payment - 3 posts
Are Lilos Illegal In Spain - 21 posts
looking to buy - 2 posts
FREE tour in Spain - 0 posts
Lost the use of remote on sky digi box - 2 posts
the cam bank - 6 posts
Thread Title not displayed - 2 posts
estae agent? - 6 posts
Need information and advise - 3 posts
A weeks holiday, but destination needed - 3 posts
4 Car Tyres including fitting from only €99 - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x