COCKROACHES-PLEASE, PLEASE HELP!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Jul 2010 12:00 AM by delicloths Star rating in Sawley, Ribble Valle.... 23 posts Send private message

Hi  would appreciate any help/advice, we have an apartment in Elviria and we came here last Wednesday for a 5 week holiday.

On our arrival we had 1 cockroach in my sons bedroom and I was petrified to say the least, my 10 year old daughter destroyed it and I hoped/thought that would be the end of it?

The next day there were another 2 in the same room and my kind Spanish neighbour came to kill them. We sprayed the room with some recomennded spray and moved my son into another bedroom. The following day there were 4 dead and after cleaning/disinfecting the room I was sure that would be the end of them.

Since then I have kept the windows closed and again cleaned the room. I spoke with our maintenance man and he called out the pest control people who visited today and sprayed all the plants and paths around our apartment (we are ground floor). After he left I though I would give a final spray in the bedroom and this evening when I have opened the door there are 8 dead on the floor in the room.

Please can anybody offer any help/advice, do cockroaches nest ? where?  and how will I get rid of them-I am so freaked out I am ready for checking into a hotel as I am a nervous wreck!

Please, Please help,

Karen x

Like 0      
27 Jul 2010 8:52 PM by Goldie Star rating. 154 posts Send private message

Hi they have be known to use the drains I keep my bath and sink plugs in. also you can report this to the local council they may send round a pest control team to do the drains  I dont think you pay for this dervice.

Like 0      
27 Jul 2010 10:18 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

If you are only finding dead ones, it would seem the treatment worked. They don't die immediately you spray, they have to walk where the chemical is, get it on their feet, then when they clean themselves (yes, apparently they do!) they ingest it, and....... Don't mop the floors / skirting after spraying, you'll just wash away the chemicals.

The large ones normally live in damp environments - around drains etc. The smaller variety live anywhere there's a food source, which could be pretty much anything, even wood or paper. Do you have wood panelling or wall paper by any chance? They tend to prefer hiding in warm dark tight spaces, so it can be hard to tell where they're coming from - they get into the tiniest cracks.

The best spray I've found is ZUM, available in most supermarkets. If all else fails, get the whole apartment treated professionally. I can recommend NPS, you'll find their number in the services classified section of Sur in English.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Jul 2010 10:30 PM by delicloths Star rating in Sawley, Ribble Valle.... 23 posts Send private message

Thankyou for your prompt replies, I dont have any wallpaper or wood panels, we have checked everywhere to try and get any idea where they might be getting in to no avail. I am wondering if they could be nesting in the matresses as they have the little holes (ventilation at the side) and many seem to be under the bed when they die?

I have sprayed again a couple of hours ago and there are another 2 dead ones in the room, if they are nesting in the bedroom will the strong spray eventually kill them all off including nests if any?

Thanks,

Karen

Like 0      
27 Jul 2010 10:44 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I would perhaps get some traps as well, they will remain effective after the spray wears off if there are un-hatched eggs somewhere. You can usually buy them in the supermarkets as well.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Jul 2010 11:03 PM by Goldie Star rating. 154 posts Send private message

Have you asked if anybody else as had a problem with the cockroaches?

Like 0      
27 Jul 2010 11:09 PM by delicloths Star rating in Sawley, Ribble Valle.... 23 posts Send private message

Hi, Yes have asked and nobody else has a problem!

Like 0      
28 Jul 2010 7:23 AM by pilgrim Star rating in Costa Calida. 231 posts Send private message

pilgrim´s avatar

Yes, we too had a problem with cockroaches and being English, we tend to think of unclean people, which is definitely not the case here!

The local council treated all the drains in the area, to help with the problem. These things are so bloody huge and they fly!!

However, we bought a plug-in unit from Iceland that alters the frequency of the current and boy does it work!! Plus, a pack of white plastic units that you lay in strategic positions. We only maybe get the odd one now, on its back, struggling for life about once every two weeks. Even I can handle that. A quick blast with a spray dispatches it to cockroach heaven. Although wifey, kindly disposes of the carcass for me, down the loo. I´m English, don´t you know!!

So, I know exactly how you feel. We are just not used to these things. Our house is only six years old and certainly has no areas that should allow them, except for drains, etc., so as a double safeguard, I pour some dilute bleach down plugholes and even sink and bath overflows.

Keep smiling and good luck!!

pilgrim

Like 0      
29 Jul 2010 12:10 AM by delicloths Star rating in Sawley, Ribble Valle.... 23 posts Send private message

Thankyou all for your replies-I have sprayed the room again this morning and as yet haven't any casualties!

Just really hope this is the end of them?,

Karen

Like 0      
29 Jul 2010 9:43 AM by Goldie Star rating. 154 posts Send private message

Hi Karen, If you are not their all the time  you could still ask  the council to treat the drains as you dont want any supprises on your return visit.

good Luck.

Like 0      
29 Jul 2010 11:21 AM by Franny Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

I´m pretty sure the cockroaches come from the drains. When the manhole cover was up in our street, just outside our house, we found 2 in the house and 4 in the garage. Before and after that, nothing. Whenever we go away I pour some bleach down all the sink, shower and bath plugholes, and the shower drain.

Like 0      
29 Jul 2010 2:18 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

We have to pay for our drains to be treated.  The urbanisation has a contract with a pest control company and they spray some pretty lethal poison down the drains every 3 months.  We still get the odd one now and again, but it has made a huge difference and the company now report that they are finding fewer and smaller insects in the drains each time they come out.

Well worth the money, in my opinion!

Like 0      
09 Sep 2010 9:15 PM by costa pest Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

** EDITED - We might have to change your user name to Forum Pest. Please respect forum rules. **

Like 0      
17 Sep 2010 4:15 AM by julia vittles Star rating in Taunton England / Ca.... 20 posts Send private message

We have a Finca in the campo and had the same problem.

You can call someone in to deal with it but it is costly i found the little plastic squares very cheap from any supermarket,

all you do is put them under sinks in bathrooms i even put them under each bed.

I replace them every three months, i have been doing this for years now and i have no problem.

This message was last edited by julia vittles on 17/09/2010.

Like 0      
17 Sep 2010 12:14 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

We don't have a cockroach problem, but do have silverfish

No amount of hoovering or keeping damp places under control have helped

Any suggestions for these horrid little beasts please?

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
20 Sep 2010 10:09 AM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

This message was last edited by fpegman on 20/09/2010.

Fred

Overseas Property Company

fred@overseaspropertycompany.com

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      
20 Sep 2010 10:29 AM by fpegman Star rating in San Miguel De Salina.... 441 posts Send private message

fpegman´s avatar

FibbyUK

http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xFS?KW=dekko+silverfish+packs&CLT=SCH&x=29&y=16

Fred

Overseas Property Company

fred@overseaspropertycompany.com

Real Estate sales - rentals and Lloyds insurance agency.

Like 0      
20 Sep 2010 10:57 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Thanks for the link!

I will give it a go............

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
25 Mar 2011 1:16 AM by pie2mats Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Roaches and silverfish enter homes looking for food and water, feasting on starchy matter like book bindings and wallpaper glue; homeowners frequently find the insects living in stacks of paper and cardboard boxes where starches are ever-present. try browsing pestokillinc web site to see some homemade remedy to prevent them from coming back. change of lifestyle and hygienne is a better option. have a nice day guys.

Like 0      
27 Mar 2011 12:16 AM by JazII Star rating in Mar Menor and UK. 133 posts Send private message

JazII´s avatar

Pilgrim mentions the  Electromagnetic interference which works through the wiring of your house.  We were told you need one for each floor of your house and since we've plugged them in they appear to be doing a sterling job ;-)

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

HELP!! - 11 posts
WE NEED A BETTER COMMUNITY FORUM FROM EOS - 2 posts
Wine in a box - 0 posts
TOBI STEAMER FOR SALE - 2 posts
Bobaol-for your retirement-mysteries of life - 2 posts
LEFT HAND DRIVE TO RIGHT HAND DRIVE - 0 posts
Porto Fino, Almerimar - Community Charges - 1 posts
Advise needed please regarding "DACION EN PAGO" - 2 posts
Car boot sale at the Hipodromo - 6 posts
Capital gains tax - 3 posts
Powerpoint presentations now won't play. - 6 posts
Sky Subscriptions - Looking for a company that arranges them - 9 posts
A Spring to Summer Love Affair … - 3 posts
paperwork requirments for renting a property - 5 posts
tax implications when renting my apartment - 0 posts
Buying rustic property with alterations - 10 posts
Buying rustic property with alterations - 0 posts
Spanish Banks - 5 posts
Spanish lawyers not fulfilling their duty - 2 posts
Something for the Weekend Sir/Madam? - 1 posts
Car ownership - 9 posts
find; Live sain, Love Spain - 0 posts
torresat - 5 posts
Euro to Sterling - 3 posts
Mobile Phone Problem...Help - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 22

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x