Spanish Banks

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Jul 2010 12:00 AM by maylin Star rating in Andalucia and Hertfo.... 71 posts Send private message

Came across this report this morning. Apparantly it is correct and not just another rumour in an attempt to put Spain down.

It is slightly worrying. 

Seven EU banks fail stress tests

A total of 91 banks from across Europe were tested

Seven of the 91 European banks that underwent stress tests have failed the healthchecks, the Committee of European Banking Supervisors (CEBS) has said.

They include five Spanish banks - Diada, Espiga, Banca Civica, Unnim and Cajasur. The other two were Germany's Hypo Real Estate and Greece's ATEbank.

The tests assessed banks' ability to survive future economic shocks.

The seven banks would need a total of 3.5bn euros (£3bn) of new capital to meet the standards required, CEBS said.

"[The failed banks] will have to agree with their respective supervisors a plan over a given time period which will explain how this weakness will be resolved," CEBS chairman Giovanni Carosio said.

................................................................................

I am not an economic expert but it does seem we are not out of the woods yet.

Worth keeping an eye on.

Like 0      
24 Jul 2010 2:22 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Of those banks in Spain, I have only heard of Cajasur which had problems a couple of months ago and had to be bailed out.  Only 4 UK banks underwent the test (and all passed) but 27 Spanish banks had the test done.  Does this mean that Spain has a lot more banks than UK?  I know most of the UK ones have amalgamated (Halifax Bank of Scotland and RBS NatWest for example) and we have very few of the old style smaller ones left.  However, these Spanish ones are savings banks and it would have been interesting to see the results if these tests had been applied to the UK building societies rather than the big banks.  I would imagine something like HBOS and RBS would be better situated to weather any storm than, for example, Cheltenham & Gloucester.  We've already had Northern Rock and Bradford & Bingley almost go to the wall and have been part-nationalised.  The Leeds has been taken over by Halifax (part of the Bank of Scotland) and I definitely don't see any of the smaller ones that used to litter the high streets.

Again, the German one that failed was also more in line with our building societies rather than a fully fledged bank.

Interesting times ahead.  I would assume that some of the smaller Spanish savings banks would be in line for takeovers by the big boys (Santander appears to be conquering the rest of the world at the moment).

Like 0      
24 Jul 2010 5:42 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

I think Lloyds TSB have taken over Cheltenham and Gloucester!!!!

Pat

Like 0      
24 Jul 2010 5:51 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

24 Jul 2010 5:52 PM by Jontymellor Star rating in Warrington & Cabo R.... 144 posts Send private message

Lloyds TSB is Halifax, BOS, all one bank.

I received a letter from Banco halifax informing me that they would be incharge of all Lloyds/HBOS outlets in spain.

Like 0      
24 Jul 2010 5:55 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

These stress tests look like a bit of a farce don't they?  Especially given that the Spanish banks are still hiding massive property related losses.  Lets see the Cajas write down their property book to get a real picture of the state that the Spanish banking sector is in.  Instead of these mickey mouse hypothetical stress tests.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Spanish lawyers not fulfilling their duty - 2 posts
Something for the Weekend Sir/Madam? - 1 posts
Car ownership - 9 posts
find; Live sain, Love Spain - 0 posts
torresat - 5 posts
Euro to Sterling - 3 posts
Mobile Phone Problem...Help - 3 posts
Illegal business reporting - 6 posts
i bought a house in olvera - 1 posts
Las Brisas - Campamor - 5 posts
How vulnerable is the Spanish economy? BBC 2 Newsnight - 9 posts
community rules - 4 posts
Keyholder, meet and great and cleaning required. - Playa Flamenca - 6 posts
IBI TAX 2010 - 1 posts
Thinking of making the move - but where to start?!?! - 2 posts
Fisiotherapeut - 0 posts
Golf Clubs wanted - 0 posts
polaris world refunds - 8 posts
Let the buyer beware - 9 posts
How do I get my deposit back? - 4 posts
Early Closing in Spain? - 17 posts
Best place to electricals-Costa del Sol? - 3 posts
Too many brits in Spain (funny) - 14 posts
van space needed end July/early August - 2 posts
Kindle e-books for Dummies? - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x