How do I get my deposit back?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Jul 2010 12:00 AM by paddyswife Star rating in Shropshire. 12 posts Send private message

Hola.

We are in a rented property on a long term lease.

We moved in 10 weeks ago with the promise that the landlord would do repair work needed.

Part of the ceiling has fallen down into the house and he will not repair it (I was in the shower when part of the ceiling fell on me)

We have told him we are moving out but he is refusing to give us back our deposit, everytime our agent asks for the return of the money he just ignores the emails and phone calls and txt messages.

He has agknoledged the problem and asked for pictures of the damage which I have provided but will not address the requests for my deposit return. (which was paid into his bank account by our agent)

Please can anyone offer advice on how to handle this?

Regards

paddywife xx

Like 0      
21 Jul 2010 1:35 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Stop paying the rent and use the deposit as your last month's rent.  I'm presuming the deposit is one month's rent? It will mean you have to stay for another month, but it will give you time to find somewhere else to rent.

I would also stop paying the electricity and water bills just to teach the landlord a lesson.  He will be the one that foots the bill, not you.

This message was last edited by Sanchez1 on 21/07/2010.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
21 Jul 2010 1:42 PM by paddyswife Star rating in Shropshire. 12 posts Send private message

Hi Sanchez1.

Thank you for your reply.

We have found a property to move into and are moving out in 1 weeks time.

I had thought of doing that but we found the other house really quickly, always the way isnt it! so he still has our money which I want back.

paddyswife 

Like 0      
22 Jul 2010 11:41 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Is the contract submitted to Courts or to arbitration?

Best,

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
22 Jul 2010 12:20 PM by paddyswife Star rating in Shropshire. 12 posts Send private message

Hi Maria.

Thanks for your reply.

I have now gone to Spanish CAB and they are happy to arbitrate for me if I want them too but I am trying to keep thing amicable at the moment as probably the more he is upset the less chance I will have to get my money back but that may be the only way to go.

The agent is doing everything in her power also but the owner is ignoring her calls and emails.

paddyswife xx

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Early Closing in Spain? - 17 posts
Best place to electricals-Costa del Sol? - 3 posts
Too many brits in Spain (funny) - 14 posts
van space needed end July/early August - 2 posts
Kindle e-books for Dummies? - 1 posts
PROPERTIES FOR SALE IN GRAN ALACANT SANTA POLA - 0 posts
URGENT RENTAL NEEDED - 2 posts
Second hand shops - 8 posts
If you are travelling or expecting visitors... - 0 posts
Sold property what happens to Tax paid? - 1 posts
Electrical Certificate - 6 posts
DACION EL PAGO - 6 posts
Clay search - 0 posts
Clay search - 0 posts
Squatter crisis - 26 posts
New roof on old building... - 2 posts
Choir (coro) /Singing group - 0 posts
how far is Duecasa from Malaga Airport - 4 posts
El Corte Ingles Discount Vouchers..... - 0 posts
Problem President :( - 53 posts
Need an Alarm - Costa Blanca? - 3 posts
car boot sales - 0 posts
putting up curtain poles/pictures worried about electrical wires/pipes - 7 posts
Help with Plumbing - 2 posts
Agents near Mojacar - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x