TEFL teaching vacancies

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Jul 2010 12:00 AM by luvspain-dp Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Hi Folks

Not sure i've put this in the right forum so apologies if wrong.

Been reading a lot of threads on Teaching etc but most of the info is from 2008 and just wondered what the situation is now and any new updates that people can offer?

i'm not a UK qualified teacher but i am doing a TEFL teaching course and have been told that the TEFL certificate alone is enough to get employment? i worked in a Kindergarten when i lived in Germany a few years ago and i absolutely loved it. 

i start volunteering half a day a week in my local primary school from sept which in when i hope to have finished my TEFL course.

i guess my question really is:- with the information above what are my chances of finding work in either the alicante or murcia areas? we havent decided for definate on the area yet and plan to come over the end sept/ beginning of oct to get a bettter idea as if neither of the above are an option we will be back to the Gibraltar idea. 

just feel we have to keep our options open and be as flexible as poss but teaching or assistant teacher would be my first cvhoice if the demand is still the same as in 2008?

any info would be gratefully received, thanks

Debbie

Like 0      
04 Jul 2010 5:51 PM by sirs Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

hi debbie, i want to know the same so let me know whe you find out, thanks Sarah

Like 0      
04 Jul 2010 7:17 PM by luvspain-dp Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

hi sarah

everyone on here seems so knowledgeable and helpful so i hope its only a matter of time before someone come back to me with some info.

will pass on any i get

debbie

Like 0      
04 Jul 2010 11:07 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Unfortunately, I don't think the TEFL will not be enough to work in a school in Spain.  You will need to be a fully qualified teacher.  You may be able to do some private tuitions but the pay isn't very good.

Even for qualified teachers, it's tough getting work, certainly on the Costa del Sol.  A lot of the private/international schools are struggling at the moment with la crisis.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
05 Jul 2010 12:15 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Debbie & Sarah, take heart!  Look at this, make your own mind up from what it says, good luck!

Like 0      
05 Jul 2010 12:18 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I know nothing about this unfortunately so cannot really help, but I have a suggestion; I see vacancies advertised from time to time in the Sur in English - there's one this week - for TEFL teachers. Maybe if you contact one of these advertisers, they will be able to let you know what their criteria are for employment?

You can access the sits. vac. via the classified section on their website, but in case you can't find it, the ad in this week's paper reads:

Academy in Malaga Centre seeks TEFL teachers, 1,300 euros. CVs: nec@telefonica.net

Hope this is helpful?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
05 Jul 2010 12:25 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Jeez Roberto, I'm using a 10" netbook, write LARGER my friend!

You know how I love a link so here is the advert that Roberto mentioned, in Sur under ENGLISH.

Like 0      
05 Jul 2010 10:19 AM by luvspain-dp Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Thanks Guys and Gals,

When i ordered my course material i did ask this question and the assured me it would be enough to teach in spain but not in the international schools as they work on the UK curriculum.

i wanted to double check it with those in the know that live there, as i didnt want to pay the money and find it had been wasted and i had a qualification i couldn't use!

Loving the link morerosado!!  hehe

thanks again

Debbie x

This message was last edited by luvspain-dp on 05/07/2010.

Like 0      
05 Jul 2010 2:05 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

When i ordered my course material i did ask this question and the assured me it would be enough to teach in spain but not in the international schools as they work on the UK curriculum.

In addition to not being able to teach in international schools, TEFL is not enough for Spanish state schools and Spanish private schools.

Academies and private tuitions are the only option.  If you get a job at an academy, you will likely have to work evenings/nights, which might not be a problem for you.  And you are very unlikely to get a permanent contract.  They are nearly always temporary contracts.

Sanchez1

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
09 Sep 2010 12:50 AM by Caz.I Star rating. 19 posts Send private message

Hi, I work in Spain as an English teacher mainly doing private classes but also working part-time in a Spanish private school (not international) teaching extracurricular english (but it's very part-time only few hours a week). I have a CELTA and some other teaching qualifications.  I think this type of position is quite rare (and I am the only native English teacher there), but you never know!  I have also seen part-time jobs (a few hours a week) advertised to teach extra curricular classes in state schools, including teaching English, which dont require the usual Spanish qualifications needed to work in a school. However, you would probably have to have good Spanish, or be completely bilingual as they often want you to teach other subjects. Either that or know someone who works there, since these kind of jobs are often filled this way.

If you have a TEFL certificate you are eligible to work in an academy. Some places prefer the CELTA though or the TESOL, dont know which one you are doing, or if it is a different one. And some want a degree and experience too. But to be honest, I think it is sometimes down to being in the right place at the right time. A good website is TEFL.com or profesores.com. However, when I got here, I got a list from the Tourist Information office of all the academies, rang them up and then visited them in person with my CV or sent it by post. Later on, I rang back to see if they had anything going. I got my first teaching job in Spain this way. (I did teach in the UK first though for a few years just to get some experience.)

Sanchez is correct about the TEFL certificate but if you have a degree as well, you could apply to the British Council to work as an English language assistant in a school. You would have to do it while in the UK as you cant apply once you live in Spain. This is the link: http://www.britishcouncil.org/languageassistants-am-i-eligible.htm

But I think its great that you are volunteering in your local primary since most TEFL work here is with children. That will at least give you some experience. Also, if you wanted to later you could do a Teaching Young learners course which International House run. I dont know specifically about work in Alicante or Murcia, although i was having a discussion with someone recently about teaching in Murcia, as they had been offered work there even though they didnt have any teaching qualifications at all! I dont think there are many native English speakers up there so you may have more chance there rather than in Alicante where I am sure there is a lot more competition for English teachers.

Good luck.

Like 1      
09 Sep 2010 1:15 PM by grahunt Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Great response Caz.

I can only add to that that if there is anybody in Spain who is thinking of becoming a teacher there is a way to do it here in Spain. The PGCE which would allow you to work in International schools in Spain and also get into the Government sponsored intern programmes at State Schools can be done whilst living here without having to return to the UK. It is a lot of work for a year but currently 98% of people who have done it have got a full time job the year after finishing.

Have a look at Devanio for the page about the PGCE course.

Like 1      
09 Sep 2010 3:10 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

"I dont know specifically about work in Alicante or Murcia, although i was having a discussion with someone recently about teaching in Murcia, as they had been offered work there even though they didnt have any teaching qualifications at all ! "

Hi, Caz I , wouldn't have been me by any chance ?  lol.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
09 Sep 2010 3:59 PM by Caz.I Star rating. 19 posts Send private message

lol. Yes it was! Didnt know you were here too. Thought I better not name names though!

Like 0      
09 Sep 2010 6:15 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

I do get about !!

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Any recomendations on a good solicitor - 10 posts
Do you need to hire a car in the Torrevieja area? - 0 posts
dont like heights - help - 4 posts
Bad news in the U.K. - 78 posts
Good news in the UK :-) - 82 posts
iPhone, iPad problems - 13 posts
N.I.E PLAYA FLAMENCA - 10 posts
Online check in Ryanair - 16 posts
jet ski hire - 0 posts
90% mortgage required - 5 posts
Cox apartment ref. SP1176 - 0 posts
Administrator at meeting - 0 posts
Birthday thread - 4 posts
Photovoltaic cells - Feeser income tariff - 3 posts
Cedula de Habitation for an old house - 3 posts
Caba de gato & snorkelling - 1 posts
San Javier information - 1 posts
Advice Please on Schools In/Around Calahonda - 13 posts
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAN (PITBY) - 5 posts
reposession of my Apt - 2 posts
Problems with the 'Rough Justice again' thread... my previous post has been deleted... !! - 4 posts
moving asap - 10 posts
Erection party. - 2 posts
Driving UK car in Spain - 13 posts
handing keys back - 10 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x