Living in Spain, Working P/T in UK

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Jun 2010 12:00 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

OK...Hypothetical but serious question...

Brit Couple living in Spain, no UK bank account, no UK address...

Wife visits UK twice a year for periods of up to 3 months each, staying with family members.

Wife is wanting to supplement our joint income by working some of the time she is in the UK on a temporary basis.

Getting the work isn't too much of a problem, as most employers will accept her family members address.

Problem arises when the subject of salary payment comes up...she is happy to pay UK Tax and NI but employers seem to have a problem making payment into a Spanish bank account. Can't see why this should be a problem because hubby has UK sterling pensions paid into a Spanish account.....

Can't open a British bank account because no proof of UK address.

Has anyone any knowledge of a work-around this problem?

Could on-line banking through someone like ING a solution?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
26 Jun 2010 11:41 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

What about popping down to Gibraltar to open an account with Barclays or Nat West?  You can open an account there with just a Spanish address.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
26 Jun 2010 11:42 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Worth a thought ...Thanks!

Like 0      
26 Jun 2010 11:57 PM by westport Star rating in London & Co.Mayo Ire.... 509 posts Send private message

The ING route won't work, as they ask you to send them a cheque from your UK current account as part of the proof.

Do either of you have the same first name as a family member. If so, maybe you could use their utility bill as proof of address.

Westport

This message was last edited by westport on 26/06/2010.

Like 0      
27 Jun 2010 12:00 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Yes you are right...I went digging into the ING route just after I posted the original query and found it to be a non-starter!

Thanks!

fb

Like 0      
27 Jun 2010 9:32 AM by Jimbofinn Star rating in Chiclana De La Front.... 224 posts Send private message

Jimbofinn´s avatar

I would suggest that the advice given by Westport above would be illegal and leave you open to prosecution!  A better possible solution would be to add your name to your relatives account, making it a shared account  and get wages paid into that account.

Just a thought

Like 0      
27 Jun 2010 11:15 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Copied from double post thread reply from Suemac:

It might be worth looking into opening a BBVA Spanish link account.  I had one when we first moved to Spain: a couple of pensions were paid into the account in London, which I was then able to transfer to my account in Jumilla.  I eventually decided it was too much hassle, plus a bit hit and miss with the exchange rate, so arranged for my main pension to be paid directly into the account in Jumilla and then closed the London account. 

I can't remember what documents I needed to open the account, however if she had a BBVA account already set up in Spain it would probably be fairly straightforward to open one in the UK linked to it.  To avoid charges, I needed to keep a minimum amount in the London account and the charges paid were then reimbursed at the end of the year (I waited until that happened before closing the account!)

Sue

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

EasyJet vs Ryan Air - 21 posts
The Senior Driver - 0 posts
Broken LCD Screen on Digital compact Camera - 7 posts
Something a little diffrent! - 7 posts
Ryanair announce new Malaga routes - 0 posts
Rip Off - 4 posts
pollyanna - 0 posts
Limescale Problems - 9 posts
Area Information Reqired - 4 posts
Administrators in the Costa Blanca & Costa Calida - 0 posts
econorent - 7 posts
Which car hire is best? - 8 posts
information please - 0 posts
JOB FOR HOUSE IN SPAIN THIS SUMMER - 0 posts
Changes to terms and conditions of mortgage - 5 posts
christmas flights from glasgow - 0 posts
christmas flights from glasgow - 1 posts
Rental Contract in Spanish (1 week stay) - 5 posts
Voting at AGM - 1 posts
WHAT HAPPENED TO A THREAD? - 1 posts
sale contract - 7 posts
Light fixtures in Quesada - 7 posts
Watch UK tv on your laptop!! - 14 posts
Has work stopped on your development...Are you trying to recover your deposit? - 9 posts
y Boletín de Instalación de Agua - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x